New DC

Had we been aggressive in key situations last season, we might have beaten NE and Illinois. Second guessing with the benefit of hindsight? Yes. But, I’d rather lose a game in the 4th Q with blitzing LBs or corners swarming a mediocre QB than with a passive zone of 7 guys just standing there while a mediocre QB, under no pressure, calmly picks the zone apart.

Had we been aggressive in key situations last season, we might have beaten NE and Illinois. Second guessing with the benefit of hindsight? Yes. But, I’d rather lose a game in the 4th Q with blitzing LBs or corners swarming a mediocre QB than with a passive zone of 7 guys just standing there while a mediocre QB, under no pressure, calmly picks the zone apart.
I agree. There's a fine line between not blitzing/ playing zone and waiting for the QB to mess up vs soft prevent.

The NW and ILL fiascos were quite literally the result of lack of aggression.

Almost caused a fumble to end Illinois game ... got lots of pressure.

Almost caused a fumble to end Illinois game ... got lots of pressure.
Illinois at 4th and 13, inside their own 20, and they have to bring in a new QB, cold. We don’t blitz; play a soft zone. We should have ended the game right there, but we gave ILL new life. That’s my opinion, any way. I get that it is just an opinion.

Illinois at 4th and 13, inside their own 20, and they have to bring in a new QB, cold. We don’t blitz; play a soft zone. We should have ended the game right there, but we gave ILL new life. That’s my opinion, any way. I get that it is just an opinion.
Yeah, I understand being worried that their QB throws a bomb down field to someone wide open, but I think the odds are that a cold QB is not going to make that throw under proper pressure.

Our pass rush needs to improve, and we need to use it more often.

I agree. There's a fine line between not blitzing/ playing zone and waiting for the QB to mess up vs soft prevent.

The NW and ILL fiascos were quite literally the result of lack of aggression.
I’d like to see us err on the side of being aggressive at the cost of getting beat once in a while. Most B1G QBs and OLines won’t consistently take advantage of a well designed pressure. Harder for us to win the time of possession as well if we’re letting up everything underneath, letting teams stay ahead of the sticks, and they just grind it down the field.

I hate the 'PREVENT US FROM WINNING DEFENSE". It doesn't make sense that you abandon a defense that has put you in front. Why did you all of a sudden decide that the defense you were using all game is now bad?

Top Bottom