New Commit?

Wrong. However, I do agree with a lot of what you say and it is better to get the best players possible. Sadly, maybe this is the highest caliber of player that Brewster can get to fill out his class right now and if you are going to take a leap on a kid it might as well be one from a top tier national program. Is it establishing a pipeline by doing this, no but it sure couldn't hurt atleast getting your name and program in front of the head coach of these programs.

Thats ah, rational.:confused:

I am not 100% certain how much the "pipeline theory" works either. I do think it allows schools to get their foot in the door. For instance, the U probably has a great relationship with Skyline Coaches (no problems from any of those kids, they have all performed a bit, etc), I would bet that without that history between Brewster and Skyline, we never would have gotten a visit from Corey Nelson. I hope we aren't at a position where we are offering kids solely to establish a connection with a school.

I don't know much about Perry, but here is my guess. He is a kid with a very good football frame (6'5" 230lbs) and he could easily add 30-40 lbs. He must also be a good character/intelligent kid. The military academies don't recruit kids with red flags (offered Air Force). So my guess is, at worst he is a high character guy that we won't have to worry about flunking out and not working hard, and he has the raw tools (body that can definitely become a Big 10 DE) to eventually be a producer.

As I mentioned on that other board, I am very familiar with Ben. He played for Southlake Carroll and I work in the press box for all the Dragon games. Carroll is one of the legendary Texas HS programs and there are college recruiters at every game. No one, I mean no one, slides under the radar there. While he has good size, he was just not a very effective player. He wasn't quick, he had poor technique, played with low energy/emotion. I am shocked if they took Ben. He will be a major project to say the least. The only reason I can think of for this move by Brewster is to establish a relationship with the Carroll football program.

Honyocker: I'm already on record as saying he "reads" like a project. After seeing your post I went to Yahoo and Google and punched in "Ben Perry Southlake Carroll". It brought up some responses. The number of responses for Texas High School Football was just plain odd by the way.

My question is how much of his "low energy/emotion" could have been caused by the Junior Year injury or, before the injury did he play the same way?

To me this seems like the Gophers needed a DE in this class and missed on a lot of other options. Even though he was not highly ranked/recruited, the Gophers spent a lot of time and effort on another DE, Wendell Beckwith. I believe in the Beckwith's family wanted him to stay closer to home and he ended up at Tulane. Perry seems like a typical Mason recruit, and there is at least a handful of players in this class who fit that description.

IF we are to start offering projects, I'd like to see those schollies go to Minnesota kids that we considered for walkons, but may be going elsewhere like NDSU. To me this would do more for building the program, then offering a recruit of equal or less caliber from out of state.

While he has good size, he was just not a very effective player. He wasn't quick, he had poor technique, played with low energy/emotion. I am shocked if they took Ben. He will be a major project to say the least.

So he is not effective, not quick, has poor technique and plays with little energy and emotion.

I think he will fit right in.

Last yr. all the recruiting experts on the board couldn't wait to see Hayo, he was going to light it up at receiver. And how about the unheard of walk ons that end up playing??? You never know whats in a kids heart! Give him 3-4 yrs. and see what happens!

Hopefully it's another example of Brewster laying down groundwork for pipelines into talent rich schools. I hope the kid can play a bit too, Honyocker's analysis is a bit troubling, but I have no problem with goodfaith scholarships to create relationships with top HS programs.

How did that workout over at CDH and EP? What's came out of the "Skyline pipeline" since year 1?

What happened to all the "realists" who say that star ratings don't matter? Oh, wait, they only say that when Brewster signs a 4 star recruit.

What happened to all the "realists" who say that star ratings don't matter? Oh, wait, they only say that when Brewster signs a 4 star recruit.

How many 4 star recruits has brewster signed that where neither JUCOs or instate kids who would go to MN if Les Steckel were the coach? I can think of one, but he "has trouble remembering plays."

How many 4 star recruits has brewster signed that where neither JUCOs or instate kids who would go to MN if Les Steckel were the coach? I can think of one, but he "has trouble remembering plays."

Les Steckel, John Alt, Sid Hartman? Do you have any references from this century? From the last 20 years? I mean besides how much you hate Brewster? Anything?

Give me a break. MarQueis Gray? Is that who you're referring to? He was a freshman for crying out loud. Mark my words, you will be eating your words regarding him. Oh, and to name a few others, how about Michael Carter, or Keanon Cooper, or Brandon Green? That's already more than Mason brought to Minnesota in his 10 years as coach.

Give me a break. MarQueis Gray? Is that who you're referring to? He was a freshman for crying out loud. Mark my words, you will be eating your words regarding him. Oh, and to name a few others, how about Michael Carter, or Keanon Cooper, or Brandon Green? That's already more than Mason brought to Minnesota in his 10 years as coach.
Who said anything about Mason? Since you brought it up, who won 10 games?

Who said anything about Mason? Since you brought it up, who won 10 games?

DING DING DING DING!!!!! You old Masonite you! Though acting as if you you haven't paid attention to anything football related since Holtz was a nice ploy. :)

"Realist" huh, not someone who's just praying that the Gophers go 1-11 next year? Not just predicting but praying for it? There are plenty of guys around here who don't think Brewster is a good coach a reasonable, realistic position. If you read their posts you can tell they'd still be happy if Brewster's team would win 7-8 games.

You? Have you even read your own posts?:rolleyes: If you call those posts realistic maybe when you pour your next one put some ice in the glass, it'll slow things down a little.

"Realist" gimme a break, bitter old man is far more likely. :rolleyes:

DING DING DING DING!!!!! You old Masonite you! Though acting as if you you haven't paid attention to anything football related since Holtz was a nice ploy. :)

"Realist" huh, not someone who's just praying that the Gophers go 1-11 next year? Not just predicting but praying for it? There are plenty of guys around here who don't think Brewster is a good coach a reasonable, realistic position. If you read their posts you can tell they'd still be happy if Brewster's team would win 7-8 games.

You? Have you even read your own posts?:rolleyes: If you call those posts realistic maybe when you pour your next one put some ice in the glass, it'll slow things down a little.

I'll stay bitter and you stay gullible! Better run along now and turn on your TV, Barack is telling America he is going to take us to the Rose Bowl.........again!!

again, had we not waited a year, like we are, to pull the inevitable Brewster firing this class would have ended up better with whatever reputable coach we could have went out and got. this class is brutal and if you think otherwise I need whatever you are smoking

Good morning sunshine:) Aren't you pleasant to be around

I guess the Stony Brook faithful are irate after finding out they just lost this recruit.:eek:

After 11 consecutive 2-stars, the Brew just pulled in his second 1-star in a row, according to the most reputable website out there, Scout.com.:rolleyes:

I'm not commenting specifically on Ben Perry out of Texas, because I haven't seen him play, haven't seen his tape (don't know if any exists), don't know if he camped anywhere, etc.

But how does Brewster keep getting accolades for his recruiting prowess? And for stockpiling all this talent? And building all this quality depth? Meanwhile, 3+ years after their departure, Mason/Shaw keep getting bashed for being lazy, incompetent, etc. with their approach to recruiting.:confused:

as KFAN says: WOW what a great football mind

I love when they hide behind the title "realist"

Sorry to say this, but this is just a prelude to what we are going to get next year
if Brewster doesn't start winning. If he wins 4-5 games next year, these guys will
be the best that he is going to get. And if he can't land top recruits anymore, he will be absolutely worthless as a head football coach.

.......Sorry, but Tim Brewster has less than one year as the Gophers football coach whether
his fans like it or not.

Can you also let me know who is going to win the next 3 Super Bowls, World Series, and Final 4? I would like advice from a psychic like yourself so I can place my bets correctly.

GopherRealist "I'll stay bitter"

I noticed you did't deny that you are praying that they'll go 1-11, but at least FINALLY, you've said something actually realistic!:drink:

Because his roster is already filled with more 4* recruits than Mason brought in in 10 years.
...and they are all freshman and sophomores Einstein, name me a team that won 10 games relying primarily on freshman and sophomores?

GopherRealist "I'll stay bitter"

I noticed you did't deny that you are praying that they'll go 1-11, but at least FINALLY, you've said something actually realistic!:drink:
Where did I say that? You should know since you seem to have nothing better to do than track down and read everyone's posts and then categorize them.

Where did I say that? You should know since you seem to have nothing better to do than track down and read everyone's posts and then categorize them.

:clap::clap::clap: Post Number 47, in this thread.

Judas Priest, you ARE drunk. :rolleyes: Put the bottle down and get some sleep...

Top Bottom