New Commit?

Sotakid

Reaction score
rivals says we just got commitment #24. anyone know who it is?

If he's from Southlake Carroll, I'll take him

He shows offers from Minnesota, Stony Brook, and Air Force.

His Rivals link. At 6'5" he has good size but yeah gonna be a few years of eating and lifting to get his weight up from 230.

He shows offers from Minnesota, Stony Brook, and Air Force.

I guess the Stony Brook faithful are irate after finding out they just lost this recruit.:eek:

After 11 consecutive 2-stars, the Brew just pulled in his second 1-star in a row, according to the most reputable website out there, Scout.com.:rolleyes:

I'm not commenting specifically on Ben Perry out of Texas, because I haven't seen him play, haven't seen his tape (don't know if any exists), don't know if he camped anywhere, etc.

But how does Brewster keep getting accolades for his recruiting prowess? And for stockpiling all this talent? And building all this quality depth? Meanwhile, 3+ years after their departure, Mason/Shaw keep getting bashed for being lazy, incompetent, etc. with their approach to recruiting.:confused:

Don't worry, after his commit to Minnesota, Wisconsin will offer and that will take his Scout rating up to 3 Stars!;)

Perry missed his junior season with an injury. So, he came on the radar later.

again, had we not waited a year, like we are, to pull the inevitable Brewster firing this class would have ended up better with whatever reputable coach we could have went out and got. this class is brutal and if you think otherwise I need whatever you are smoking

There is a youtube video of his teammate Jackson Richards out there (I don't know how to post a link). Richards is a highly rated right defensive end who plays on the same defensive line. Ben Perry plays left end and is #85.

I know he camped last summer at Nebraska and I believe Vanderbilt as well but did not receive an offer from either. I would have expected him to get an offer from North Texas where the head coach is Todd Dodge who was previously the very successful head coach at Southlake Carroll. He definitely looks to be a project guy. If the offer is to try and get a foot in the door to that high school program then I will not fault the team for that.

Ben Perry, really?

As I mentioned on that other board, I am very familiar with Ben. He played for Southlake Carroll and I work in the press box for all the Dragon games. Carroll is one of the legendary Texas HS programs and there are college recruiters at every game. No one, I mean no one, slides under the radar there. While he has good size, he was just not a very effective player. He wasn't quick, he had poor technique, played with low energy/emotion. I am shocked if they took Ben. He will be a major project to say the least. The only reason I can think of for this move by Brewster is to establish a relationship with the Carroll football program.

Wasn't Perry once a UCLA commitment?

I thought I read on Scout that Perry the Southlake DE was once a UCLA commitment but decommited from there after taking an official visit. Sounds like this kid is fully qualified and has his academics squared away. Played behind 2 D1 prospects at Southlake HS until his senior year and was injured all or most of his Junior year. He may be a two star but has has the measureables of a guy that might be an effective tight end, not really a defensive end. I would not say from his video that he will project as a defensive end as he just does not look like he has the motor to outwork the guy in front of him. Does sound like a project but I guess you will have to trust the coaches on this one.

I know he camped last summer at Nebraska and I believe Vanderbilt as well but did not receive an offer from either. I would have expected him to get an offer from North Texas where the head coach is Todd Dodge who was previously the very successful head coach at Southlake Carroll. He definitely looks to be a project guy. If the offer is to try and get a foot in the door to that high school program then I will not fault the team for that.

Shocker.

GG would normally be all over Brewster for recruiting less-heralded prospects, but in this instance is in favor of it because the kid is from Texas.

Again, I am bewildered by this turn of events.

WOW!
Love everyone jumping into a thread about a proud new gopher commit and ripping the kid's skills, the coaches, and any poster with actual information about the player.
Welcome aboard Ben! Hope you're ready to track down QB's wearing maroon and gold!

Shocker.

GG would normally be all over Brewster for recruiting less-heralded prospects, but in this instance is in favor of it because the kid is from Texas.

Again, I am bewildered by this turn of events.

It isn't because the kid is from Texas it is because it is one of the traditionally better programs in the country and it would be nice to get a foot in the door there as it would with all of these top programs whether it be in California, Florida, Texas, etc..

Sorry to say this, but this is just a prelude to what we are going to get next year
if Brewster doesn't start winning. If he wins 4-5 games next year, these guys will
be the best that he is going to get. And if he can't land top recruits anymore, he will be absolutely worthless as a head football coach.

.......Sorry, but Tim Brewster has less than one year as the Gophers football coach whether
his fans like it or not.

It isn't because the kid is from Texas it is because it is one of the traditionally better programs in the country and it would be nice to get a foot in the door there as it would with all of these top programs whether it be in California, Florida, Texas, etc..

Hopefully it's another example of Brewster laying down groundwork for pipelines into talent rich schools. I hope the kid can play a bit too, Honyocker's analysis is a bit troubling, but I have no problem with goodfaith scholarships to create relationships with top HS programs.

Just because you get one kid from a school doesn't mean you are starting a pipeline. How many kids have we gotten from Skyline since that pipeline started? I'm really starting to worry about recruiting. Looks like Brewster is just starting to fill slots. It would be embrassasing if he couldn't get to 28. Things just aren't looking good. I can't wait to hear the spin at the recruiting part on Wednesday.

Hopefully it's another example of Brewster laying down groundwork for pipelines into talent rich schools. I hope the kid can play a bit too, Honyocker's analysis is a bit troubling, but I have no problem with goodfaith scholarships to create relationships with top HS programs.

I would agree that Honyocker's analysis is troubling as well, especially when a lower level program like a North Texas with in-depth knowledge of this program is not offering. However, I am okay with throwing a bone out every once in a while to these top programs to try and establish relationships with the staffs and gain some traction with their top recruits down the line. I do think it is an indication however that recruiting may be getting tougher for Brewster.

I'm not saying I disagree, but if this were a top-flight high school in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, etc., you couldn't care less.

Also, and this is not directed just at you, but people of this mindset in general - what evidence is there that this "foot in the door" strategy works at all? After we signed Theret, people assumed we were "building a pipeline" to Mullen. Likewise, after the Skyline 4, it was a given that recruits were going to be burning a trail up 35 to Bierman. However, despite the fact that there have been several good-to-very good prospects coming out of both schools, we have signed 0.0 players from Mullen, and 0.0 players from Skyline, in the interim. It's kind of like offering J.D. Pride in the hopes of signing Seantrel Henderson.

I'd rather have good players, and worry less about what school they play for. But that's just me.

P.S. I know nothing whatsoever about Ben Perry. He may be great, or he may completely suck. But if the coaching staff wasn't looking at him and his abilities, but rather signed him with any consideration whatsoever to the high school he attended, that is a colossal mistake.

Wednesday can't come too soon. Hopefully everyone we have sticks around.

I will say one thing, after watching some of the videos of southlake carroll, I am impressed by Texas HS football.

I'm not saying I disagree, but if this were a top-flight high school in New York, New Jersey, Illinois, etc., you couldn't care less.

Also, and this is not directed just at you, but people of this mindset in general - what evidence is there that this "foot in the door" strategy works at all? After we signed Theret, people assumed we were "building a pipeline" to Mullen. Likewise, after the Skyline 4, it was a given that recruits were going to be burning a trail up 35 to Bierman. However, despite the fact that there have been several good-to-very good prospects coming out of both schools, we have signed 0.0 players from Mullen, and 0.0 players from Skyline, in the interim. It's kind of like offering J.D. Pride in the hopes of signing Seantrel Henderson.

I'd rather have good players, and worry less about what school they play for. But that's just me.

P.S. I know nothing whatsoever about Ben Perry. He may be great, or he may completely suck. But if the coaching staff wasn't looking at him and his abilities, but rather signed him with any consideration whatsoever to the high school he attended, that is a colossal mistake.

Wrong. However, I do agree with a lot of what you say and it is better to get the best players possible. Sadly, maybe this is the highest caliber of player that Brewster can get to fill out his class right now and if you are going to take a leap on a kid it might as well be one from a top tier national program. Is it establishing a pipeline by doing this, no but it sure couldn't hurt atleast getting your name and program in front of the head coach of these programs.

Top Bottom