New Commit: LB De 'Niro Laster

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
Cleveland Heights (Ohio) LB De'Niro Laster (@Mucho_Deniro) has committed to #Minnesota. Head over to GI for more.

Wonder if we will use him at outside LB or as big WR?

I remember hearing on GI Radio that Urban Meyer wanted this kid. A great get for Jerry Kill and the gang.

Sounds like a good get. A lot of good recruiting news in the last couple of weeks.

I hope he's still here on signing day and Iowa doesn't swoop in and take him away like they did with Dinero Moss.

I hope he's still here on signing day and Iowa doesn't swoop in and take him away like they did with Dinero Moss.

Iowa didn't swoop in and take Dinero Moss. He went to a C.C. in Iowa. Speaking of Moss, is he on the radar for this class?

btown, you must have forgotten how the whole Dinero Moss thing went down.

He tweeted he was headed to Iowa, everyone got their panties in a bundle, turned out it was Ellsworth C.C. in Iowa? Or am I missing something?

A check of the Ellsworth CC football roster for 2012 doesn't list Moss and a Google search doesn't find any new info on him. I would guess we've heard the last of Dinero Moss.

Welcome aboard De'Niro! He sounds kind of similar to Jack Lynn to me.

That's 13 verbals, they can't have too many more openings can they?

What stopped Urban Meyer? If it is academic, does the U have lower standard than OSU?

Was wondering the same thing. Seems to me that an Ohio kid would be pretty unlikely to turn down a chance to go to Ohio State in order to come here. Have to believe the Buckeyes were maybe looking at him more as the walkon type.

Was wondering the same thing. Seems to me that an Ohio kid would be pretty unlikely to turn down a chance to go to Ohio State in order to come here. Have to believe the Buckeyes were maybe looking at him more as the walkon type.
I haven't heard of a 3 star kid walking on anywhere.

tOSU might have legit interest like they did in Wheelwright years ago, but just don't believe he will qualify. I can't remember all the details about Ernie's arrival, but I believe it was something like he had to pay his own way for a year prior to receiving aid. I don't know the kids academic issues, but we took a commitment from Spencer Reeves 5 years ago and then waited for him to qualify academically.

Cleveland Plain Dealer: Cleveland Heights linebacker De’Niro Laster commits to Minnesota

"They have a great coaching staff and the whole program is starting to move in the right direction," said Laster, who plans to study business. "I wanted to get the football recruiting process over with.

"I feel I'm very versatile, and I can play a lot of different positions, and I bring hard work and football IQ to the game."

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...-commits-to-minnesota/#incart_flyout_hssports

Go Gophers!!

This is all reading between the lines & opinion, but I think Laster is a pretty good player who didn't get great offers because of academics. tOSU doesn't have to roll the dice on academic risks unless they're 5* players. I think he'll play MLB for us. I think Walton was our #1 prospect but with committing to Penn St on his visit this weekend, I feel like we went to plan B on Laster & he pulled the trigger.

This is all reading between the lines & opinion, but I think Laster is a pretty good player who didn't get great offers because of academics. tOSU doesn't have to roll the dice on academic risks unless they're 5* players. I think he'll play MLB for us. I think Walton was our #1 prospect but with committing to Penn St on his visit this weekend, I feel like we went to plan B on Laster & he pulled the trigger.

Laster wasn't plan B, the staff wanted both him and Walton. We really need to find an MLB, and not just from the JUCO ranks.

He seems like a good get.

As far as the academics, it's not that he could get into here and not tOSU, it's that we might have to sweat his admissions a bit (reading between the lines), tOSU as the fortune of choosing to just grab another guy who they think is just as good and not have to sweat through those admissions.

Our linebacker situation is going to be a giant question mark next year. Oddly enough, that's how most of us viewed our defensive backfield after last year (we only returned Stoud, didn't knwo what we had with the younger guys, Vereen wasn't real popular around here) and we were able to reload wonderfully. I think we have some decent players coming back...Hill might have been our best LBer last year, Manuel and Edwards both played a lot and played alright. It'll be interesting to see if we get much from Matilus and Westerhaus. That said, it's wide open...

Our linebacker situation is going to be a giant question mark next year. Oddly enough, that's how most of us viewed our defensive backfield after last year (we only returned Stoud, didn't knwo what we had with the younger guys, Vereen wasn't real popular around here) and we were able to reload wonderfully. I think we have some decent players coming back...Hill might have been our best LBer last year, Manuel and Edwards both played a lot and played alright. It'll be interesting to see if we get much from Matilus and Westerhaus. That said, it's wide open...

Hill and Manuel both got significant PT this year, and Edwards also got a limited number of snaps. So on paper, we have some guys coming back that have been around for a while. My biggest concern is who is the MLB on 1st down and short yardage? Hill is good on passing downs, but is undersized just like Rallis the rest of the time. We also have no idea who is behind these 3 guys as I don't remember Matilus or Westerhaus seeing the field on D all year. It sounds like the plan is to sign 3 HS LB's and 2 JUCOs.

It's also worth noting that Penn State has a hard cap of 15 scholarships per year, so they can't screw around with a kid who might not qualify.

Top Bottom