New Commit: Eric Murray

I checked out TCU's recruiting classes and not until 2009 did they start having solid classes. So they have been winning with 2-3 star players for a while now. Ill give Kill a few seasons to see what product he puts on the field.

Would TCU have been winning in the Big Ten with those recruiting classes, I am not sure they would have had to oppertunity to get where they are now if they were in a major conference.

Would TCU have been winning in the Big Ten with those recruiting classes, I am not sure they would have had to oppertunity to get where they are now if they were in a major conference.

Exactly you can't say Kill is doing it the TCU/Boise way. I'm guessing Boise landed the top classes in their conference on a fairly regular basis, while TCU probably held their own in the Mt. West.

Kill Isn't Brewster

Kill may have a sound recruiting philosophy, but the casual fans and the media won't have the patience to wait 3 or 4 years to see if these "less-regarded" recruits pan out.

If the Gophs don't win some games in 2011, and Kill's recruiting class is ranked 10th or 11th in the league (or worse), the second-guessers will be out in force. My gut tells me that, for Kill to survive, he will either have to pull off some upsets this year - or find some way to land some higher-profile recruits.

It's asking for an awfully big leap of faith to accept that Kill and his staff are so good that they can win with recuits that aren't getting any other BCS offers. And the Gopher fan base is pretty low on faith these days - not to mention the Pat Reusses and Jim Souhans of the world, who are waiting to pounce on another new FB coach and rip him to shreds.

Winning games will buy Kill some time. Recruiting big-time kids will buy him some time. But if he doesn't win early, and his recuiting classes are ranked at the bottom of the conference, he may not be around long enough to see if some of these kids pan out.

Shorty - My wife is a Norwegian citizen and I went to graduate school there so understand your need to look at the worst case scenario. I do disagree with you that Kill won't be given the time to build the program that he is capable of doing. He is earning his points everyday by the way he conducts himself. He has even won over Wren and Reusse. He is being very careful to lower expectations and explaining that this will probably take some time. He is the antithesis to Brewster and people appreciate that. You may be right but I think your underestimating people and also what Jerry Kill is capable of doing.

They looked great against the Vadgers.

Unless we join up with the Mt. West for the next few years, recruiting top classes isn't going to be something we do.

Jerry Kill has a plan, I hope.

Face the facts. Kill is a MAC coach with no ability to judge talent. He has no idea what it takes to win in the Big Ten. He will never match Brewster's recruiting skills. If you need proof, just look at how his no-talent MAC team fared against Brewster's mighty Big Ten recruits last season. Oh wait, he won. Well, still, he'd better bring in some high star guys like Hayo, or he'll never last here.

Shorty - My wife is a Norwegian citizen and I went to graduate school there so understand your need to look at the worst case scenario. I do disagree with you that Kill won't be given the time to build the program that he is capable of doing. He is earning his points everyday by the way he conducts himself. He has even won over Wren and Reusse. He is being very careful to lower expectations and explaining that this will probably take some time. He is the antithesis to Brewster and people appreciate that. You may be right but I think your underestimating people and also what Jerry Kill is capable of doing.

+1. I believe Kill will get time (3-4 years minimum) to shape the program before the critics come out of the woodwork. This is because Kill is a proven coach with a philosophy that hasn't wavered in 20+ years. Brew would have been similar rope (still got 3+ years) if he didn't flip-flop schemes and coordinators every year. As long as we see gradual progress (beating lower teams (UND :), New Mex, Miami), playing more disciplined, and just playing better overall football) Kill will get time to turn this ship around.

Kill may have a sound recruiting philosophy, but the casual fans and the media won't have the patience to wait 3 or 4 years to see if these "less-regarded" recruits pan out.

If the Gophs don't win some games in 2011, and Kill's recruiting class is ranked 10th or 11th in the league (or worse), the second-guessers will be out in force. My gut tells me that, for Kill to survive, he will either have to pull off some upsets this year - or find some way to land some higher-profile recruits.

It's asking for an awfully big leap of faith to accept that Kill and his staff are so good that they can win with recuits that aren't getting any other BCS offers. And the Gopher fan base is pretty low on faith these days - not to mention the Pat Reusses and Jim Souhans of the world, who are waiting to pounce on another new FB coach and rip him to shreds.

Winning games will buy Kill some time. Recruiting big-time kids will buy him some time. But if he doesn't win early, and his recuiting classes are ranked at the bottom of the conference, he may not be around long enough to see if some of these kids pan out.

The most important thing is that we see some kind of "direction". Kill seems to know exactly what he wants to do and who he wants on the team. Starting over takes time. I hope we win 6 games this year but if we only win 3 or 4, does that mean the season was a failure? Not necessarily in my book.

He'll get plenty of time to turn things around because he's earned it from what he's done in the past. Yes, your bandwagon fans will get on him right away if our recruiting class isn't great or we lose a few games right away, but most "real" fans understand it will take some time.

What did you guys do before there were recruit rankings and stars? Must've been a very painful time for you all.

I have an idea. How about we try this: lets trust that coach knows what he's doing and lets see if he can win 5-6 Big Ten games with his recruits?

I admit, it's a crazy idea when you guys all know how to recruit better than coach does. I imagine you all have played college football as well.

Me personally - I hope coach Kill never recruits a single "4 star" or "5 star" player as long as he coaches here. I hope he wins with "lower ranked" recruits that he develops into real players. And I could care less if a single one of them are drafted in the NFL. It's not a true source of pride for the program.

Real pride comes from wins. Heck, if I was him I would take down all those boards that show which NFL teams former Gophers played for. It's irrelevant to Gopher football and getting to the Rosebowl.

I am hoping that Coach Kill really focuses on the kind of kid these recruits are as well. I don't mean that in a way that i'm hoping we have the nicest team in the Big 10, I am saying that I really hope Coach Kill has a better pulse on our recruits ability to get into school, stick to their commitment and stay eligible.

Recruiting rankings matter but they don't matter when you have your heart set on RB and he doesn't get into school (Wright and Lipscomb) or you bring in players who can't cut it (Edwards, B. Smith, B. Allen, S from MI, etc.) that makes those team recuiting rankings obsolete.

I realize it's going to happen to every team but the Brew era was garbage largely due to the fact that we switched coordinators and attrition KILLED our team. Hopefully, in guys like Murray, Kill see's a kid with great grades, good kid (less risk for attrition) and a kid who he thinks can play Big 10 football.

Kill still has a good shot at a couple 3 star DBs for the star gazers out there. http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-John-Gibson-92592

John Gibson has the gophers in his top 2 according to a recent scout.com headline. Kid looks like a player on his youtube video. Definitely on my wish list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Aq3mUZYAY

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-Terry-Harden-123081
Terry Harden is another we have a good shot at. 6'1", rivals lists him as a safety but he's playing a lot at corner in his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBhipjTQpE

Hopefully land these two plus Moss and Murray, not a bad group of dbs.

Devon Wright

I am hoping that Coach Kill really focuses on the kind of kid these recruits are as well. I don't mean that in a way that i'm hoping we have the nicest team in the Big 10, I am saying that I really hope Coach Kill has a better pulse on our recruits ability to get into school, stick to their commitment and stay eligible.

Recruiting rankings matter but they don't matter when you have your heart set on RB and he doesn't get into school (Wright and Lipscomb) or you bring in players who can't cut it (Edwards, B. Smith, B. Allen, S from MI, etc.) that makes those team recuiting rankings obsolete.

I realize it's going to happen to every team but the Brew era was garbage largely due to the fact that we switched coordinators and attrition KILLED our team. Hopefully, in guys like Murray, Kill see's a kid with great grades, good kid (less risk for attrition) and a kid who he thinks can play Big 10 football.

Devon Wright is on the offical roster and I believe he may be here now but I am not certain. He ran into some "paper" issues and they have been resolved. Here is a link to the roster:

http://www.gophersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&SPID=3280&SPSID=38606

I been waiting for the sun to appear and for it to stop misting but I am just going to have to suck it up and go outside and finish my gardening work.

Face the facts. Kill is a MAC coach with no ability to judge talent. He has no idea what it takes to win in the Big Ten. He will never match Brewster's recruiting skills. If you need proof, just look at how his no-talent MAC team fared against Brewster's mighty Big Ten recruits last season. Oh wait, he won. Well, still, he'd better bring in some high star guys like Hayo, or he'll never last here.

Thanks for the chuckle Duluth!! {:>)

According to the GopherHoles front page interview, Murray is neither big, nor fast, and has no other offers. It is getting tougher and tougher to see a scenario where we avoid the bottom 3 or 4 of the Big Ten recruiting rankings.

Please, I think Army was just about to offer. But we beat them to the punch. That's brilliant!

They had him in camp, they got to see him in action, I doubt they'd have offered if they didn't feel he could contribute. Welcome aboard!

Precisely. From first hand reports Murray was at camp as a WR & Sawvel (Sp?) asked him back the next day to work out as a CB where he mostly covered Andre McDonald all day & shut him down. Then Sawvel worked him one-on-one to the point of exhaustion & told him (paraphrasing) "I want you to go home & sleep on it & then call me if you want to be a Big-10 defensive back". You can't really argue with this offer can you? Sawvel spent a lot of one-on-one time with him and pushed him to the limit & the staff liked what they saw. We can use 5'11" CB's with a little swagger. Someone said he's slow early in this thread which is NOT what 1st hand reports said. They said he's a step slower than Andre McDonald, that's not slow folks.

Murray is not a ready made guy, but the coaches are banking on his upside. They're taking a risk in order to get a bigger return down the road. It's just like investing. You try to find undervalued companies and hope to get returns. You lose money on some, make modest gains with others, but when you hit a couple ten-baggers you're set for life. We need ten-baggers because we can't afford the blue chips.

The reason some companies stock is nearly worthless is the companies are nearly worthless and waiting for the turnaround is an eternal wait.

Investing in the project player is about the same thing. Not going to make the sows ear into...

The reason some companies stock is nearly worthless is the companies are nearly worthless and waiting for the turnaround is an eternal wait.

Investing in the project player is about the same thing. Not going to make the sows ear into...

Ugh. All you have to do is look at a company's financials, management, and if they have products in development. I bought AAPL in 2004.

I obviously am not as good of a talent evaluator as Kill, but would most people here want Webb, a defensive back from Minnetonka, to get an offer over Murray?

I obviously am not as good of a talent evaluator as Kill, but would most people here want Webb, a defensive back from Minnetonka, to get an offer over Murray?

Well Webb has a Toledo offer, Kill must have not wanted to fight for him...:rolleyes:

Wow! So YOU'RE the guy that bought AAPL in the 12 month period of 2004. And you got in before the split in February 2005. So, Gordon Gekko, what have you bought since then?

I know it was dumb luck in a lot of ways. But I thought the iPod was cool and bought stock.

Webb would be a good player for us but according to his coach, he has work to do in the classroom (per his interview with Gopherhole).

Wow! So YOU'RE the guy that bought AAPL in the 12 month period of 2004. And you got in before the split in February 2005. So, Gordon Gekko, what have you bought since then?

Also, I bought ZAGG in March. They make a protective case and keyboard for the iPad.

What did you guys do before there were recruit rankings and stars? Must've been a very painful time for you all.

I have an idea. How about we try this: lets trust that coach knows what he's doing and lets see if he can win 5-6 Big Ten games with his recruits?

I admit, it's a crazy idea when you guys all know how to recruit better than coach does. I imagine you all have played college football as well.

Me personally - I hope coach Kill never recruits a single "4 star" or "5 star" player as long as he coaches here. I hope he wins with "lower ranked" recruits that he develops into real players. And I could care less if a single one of them are drafted in the NFL. It's not a true source of pride for the program.

Real pride comes from wins. Heck, if I was him I would take down all those boards that show which NFL teams former Gophers played for. It's irrelevant to Gopher football and getting to the Rosebowl.

1st bolded statement - wut

2nd bolded statement - so, so wrong. Not a true source of pride? Maroney and Barber are still mentioned nearly every day around here and sending kids to the NFL is huge to a lot of the top-rated kids.

Top Bottom