New 2011 Commit

This is great. it really can't hurt us no matter how it turns out. Top talent is starting to pay attention to Minn, having a top RB may create a little MO and get us on the short list of even more big recruits. No downside. Even having SH keep us on his list helps us. Everytime someone looks at him they see "Minnesota". It makes a difference.

Hard to say at this point. A lot is going to happen between now and next year, so there's a lot of variables at play. From a logistical stand point, Lipscomb is two years ahead of Phillips, so even if Lipscomb plays a year at the JUCO level and then comes next year, he'll still be a sophomore and play another year before Phillips ever gets to campus. Of course, a lot of things have to happen before any of this even comes into play.

As of right now, I don't think it would affect too much in regards to recruiting Lipscomb. Then again, I guess we'll have wait and find out.

As an academic non-qualifier Lipscomb will not be ready to gain admittance to a DI school next year. He would be in the 2011 class and assuming he plays both years at Juco he would be a junior (he could choose to redshirt which would leave him with 3 years to play 3).

Don't worry about Lipscomb. Both the Gophers and Hasan will have the opportunity to reevaluate their options when Hasan gets closer to being eligible for DI football. It may turn out by that time that Edwards and/or Kirkwood has turned out to be a total stud and we're happy with our depth at RB so he goes elsewhere. On the other hand we may feel like we need a junior that is ready to carry the load and we're beating down his door.

I'd love to hear if there was something that caused him to rebuff Illinois. Why else would he commit here so early? Especially when he group up as an Illini fan as a kid. Imagine a local kid growing up a Gopher fan, and then as a Sophomore committed to Illinois.

I'd love to hear if there was something that caused him to rebuff Illinois. Why else would he commit here so early? Especially when he group up as an Illini fan as a kid. Imagine a local kid growing up a Gopher fan, and then as a Sophomore committed to Illinois.

For one thing he camped here which likely had a big impact. Besides that a poster mentioned his cousin/mentor lives in Mpls (works for the Vikings) and played college FB with Thomas Hammock (RB Coach) which can't hurt the relationship.

Brewster's last post on twitter seems like it may be referencing the Phillips commit...

"The Gopher Nation continues to grow!! It is a great day to be a Golden Gopher!!"

I'm not complaining by any means...but there are SOOOOO many variables between now and February 2011 and considering how snakebit we seem to be when great news comes around, I'll temper my enthusiasm a bit.

Exactly my point.. I am excited.. and would love to see him as a Gopher, but we have two full seasons until we actually see him.. a lot can happen until then.

Does anybody think there is any possible connection between Phillips committing and SH's recruitment process? Will this affect how SH looks at MN?

The factor that no one has talked about is that brew won't even be here to coach kids in the 2011 class. He'll either have been fired as he'll have had 5 years or will be gone if he has great success over the next two years. like most coaches, hes an opportunist as I'm sure we would all be. getting kids lined up for 2011 looks great to the next AD who hires him after our J1 bowl game as brew can bring guys like this with him. I know I'll get ripped but Brew will be gone one way or another before the 2011 season starts. keep this post.

The factor that no one has talked about is that brew won't even be here to coach kids in the 2011 class. He'll either have been fired as he'll have had 5 years or will be gone if he has great success over the next two years. like most coaches, hes an opportunist as I'm sure we would all be. getting kids lined up for 2011 looks great to the next AD who hires him after our J1 bowl game as brew can bring guys like this with him. I know I'll get ripped but Brew will be gone one way or another before the 2011 season starts. keep this post.

Wow, way to count your chickens before they hatch.
Look, Brew might leave, he might not, he might be fired, he might not.

Good god man, let it play out, and just be happy that our program was able to get a verbal from a big time prospect.

That's not necessarily true. Another 7-5 season, which is likely, and he'll still be here and probably get an extension. Great success the following year will lead to rumors, etc., but by then the cupboard here will be stocked, he'll be getting paid well, and the pull to leave will be less. And even if he did, by that time any '11 recruit who switched would be doing so at the very last minute...which of course happens, but more often than not guys keep their commitments in those january coaching switches.

Actually, the Gopher football program will be discontinued prior to the 2014 season so none of that matters much. Thankfully I won't be there to see this sad day as I will either die in an unfortunate food processor mishap in August of 2012 or from an alligator attack at the Reptile Gardens over labor day, 2013. I'm not sure yet, but either way I will be gone. You can save this post.

With this sad realization for the future... I will be left to an endless string of negative posts and downers. See you on the forums.

I'm seeing people complain that he committed too early in the process. Usually, I see these people complaining that the "prima donna five star prospects" wait until the very end of the process.

So which is it? Or do we just like to complain?

You state this as if it is a fact, but it is far from factual. First of all, there's a false dichotomy in claiming that he will either do so poorly that he will be fired or do so well that he will leave. Even if he is inclined to jump ship for another opportunity, you leave out the possibility that he will do well, but not so well that other schools are laying out the red carpet for him. Also, 2011 will be his 5th season here, not his 6th.

good points, bad morning on my end. it is amazing that we got this kid and hopefully we can keep him at his word.

I'm seeing people complain that he committed too early in the process. Usually, I see these people complaining that the "prima donna five star prospects" wait until the very end of the process.

Minnesota, land of 10,000 complainers. :)

Brewster leaving is a moot point. As soon as Brewster gets fired/moves to a better program, we have Tony Dungy in the wings. What great young football player wouldn't want to play for the great Tony Dungy?

stargold5.gif
post.

Brewster leaving is a moot point. As soon as Brewster gets fired/moves to a better program, we have Tony Dungy in the wings. What great young football player wouldn't want to play for the great Tony Dungy?

2867253326792146d6e7.jpg

Illinois has offered him, no doubt. However, Phillips has some academic and character issues to work through before he gets to college. Grades have been poor, as he himself has acknowledged. He has had some issues off the field, too. One example is his dismissal from his track team last spring for undisclosed reasons. Rumors of him changing schools are also out there.

Not saying he is a bad kid. Maturity, or lack thereof, may be a factor. He is talented, though.

Illinois has offered him, no doubt. However, Phillips has some academic and character issues to work through before he gets to college. Grades have been poor, as he himself has acknowledged. He has had some issues off the field, too. One example is his dismissal from his track team last spring for undisclosed reasons. Rumors of him changing schools are also out there.

Not saying he is a bad kid. Maturity, or lack thereof, may be a factor. He is talented, though.

I think I read somewhere that the track dismissal was due to grades or lack thereof. Doesn't sound like character so much as he has to get his act together in the classrooom. The good news is, he has 2 years to do it.

I think I read somewhere that the track dismissal was due to grades or lack thereof. Doesn't sound like character so much as he has to get his act together in the classrooom. The good news is, he has 2 years to do it.

Yeah, I read something along those lines as well. I think Calvin himself went as far as saying that his parents didn't want him to run track unless he got his grades in order or at least something to that effect.

Of course, whether that is really true remains up for debate. In any case, it's nice to have him on board (even if it is for 2011 ;))

For an electronically timed 40 run by a RB who just finished his sophomore year it's not a bad time.

For comparison here's some of the 40 times from Big Ten backs at the most recent NFL Combine:

Kory Sheets 4.47
Beanie Wells 4.59
Javon Ringer 4.60
Shonn Greene 4.65
Tyrell Sutton 4.75

Good points on age and comparison both. Also he has a good vertical for a big kid which tends to correlate with speed. It is very POSSIBLE that he could improve on his 40 number with additional coaching, maturity, etc.

Running Back U, Part II

Love your thinking!

Yea, somebody should have him call and talk to Lipscomb regarding keeping his grades up and the consequences of not doing that.

I don't know how it has lasted three pages without being said...

Did Illinois "cool" on him?

I'm not complaining by any means...but there are SOOOOO many variables between now and February 2011 and considering how snakebit we seem to be when great news comes around, I'll temper my enthusiasm a bit.

Good point Greek, however, still nice he is on board for now.

Top Bottom