New 2011 Commit

I am sick of all these players committing so early on. I love to see us getting the press, but will wait for them to show up on the field.

I think its Calvin Phillips from Momence Illinois. 6-1, 205. I'll wait at least 16 months before I feel confident.

It's momence like this that make me glad we have Brewster.

Blurb about Phillips from March.

CHICAGO -- It's no secret that Illinois has been one of the better recruiting stories nationally since the arrival of head coach Ron Zook and his staff. The Fighting Illini have been aggressive on the recruiting trail and made in-roads with talented players both in and out-of-state.

One of the examples of that is Class of 2011 running back Calvin Phillips (Momence, Ill./Momence). The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder was probably the top overall prospect at the combine in any classification and it's pretty clear who the early favorite is to land him -- the Fighting Illini.

Phillips, who rushed for 1,426 yards and 24 touchdowns as a sophomore, showed up to the event wearing a University of Illinois sweatshirt before changing into his Nike gear to compete. If his attire did not hint at where he is leaning early, his comments following the combine certainly did.

"(Illinois) is probably where I am going," he said. "I've liked them since I was a little kid. I just like their school and the way (Zook) is. If they mess up, he gets on them for real. Their program was going good for some time and then they had some downfall. But most of the athletes that go there are real good."

Phillips had an outstanding combine as well, putting up excellent testing numbers that included a 35.3-inch vertical leap. He plans to camp at Illinois this summer.

"Basically I am trying to improve more and more and to get out there and improve on what I did last year next year," he said.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3989064

It's momence like this that make me glad we have Brewster.

rim-shot-johnny-utah.jpg

Normally I don't take notice of verbals for years ahead, mostly because you never happen to know whether the kid will stick with it, not really develop or what other unforseen circumstance might occur.

However, in this case, I'll make an exception for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, the fact that the coaching staff got a verbal from this particular kid is interesting considering how much he talked up Illinois in the ESPN article. Second, this kid appears to be a big-timer in the making and at this point anyway, projects out as an absolute stud. And third, he appears to be the top kid out of Illinois for 2011. Which leads me to this conclusion: wow!!:eek:

Now, whether this sticks all the way through remains to be seen. But for right now, I'll give the coaching staff full props for this commit. :clap:

I am sick of all these players committing so early on. I love to see us getting the press, but will wait for them to show up on the field.

Talk about Debbie Downer. If the other posters are correct, a potential 5 star RB commits to us and you find a way to complain about it. WTF?

I'm not complaining by any means...but there are SOOOOO many variables between now and February 2011 and considering how snakebit we seem to be when great news comes around, I'll temper my enthusiasm a bit.

I'm not complaining by any means...but there are SOOOOO many variables between now and February 2011 and considering how snakebit we seem to be when great news comes around, I'll temper my enthusiasm a bit.

Brother is a vikings scout and played college ball with hammock I believe. Why not be happy?

So remembering the story below from the spring I must say that this one took me off guard. The kid definitely looks like he has serious potential to be a huge success at this level, but what the hell happened with the Illini. If this kid doesn't end up a decommit I will be ecstatic.

We are the young

Running back Calvin Phillips (Momence, Ill./Momence) could potentially be the top prospect at the event. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder ran a 4.69 second 40-yard dash, had a 4.54 second shuttle, a 35.3-inch vertical leap and posted a 33.5 in the kneeling power ball toss (used to measure an athlete's strength).

Calvin Phillips is getting attention from several Big Ten schools. Phillips rushed for 1,426 yards and 24 touchdowns as a sophomore and plans to camp at Illinois this summer as he gets ready for his junior year.

"Basically, I am just trying to improve more and more and build on what I did last year," he said.

Phillips already holds a verbal scholarship offer from Illinois and showed up at the event wearing a Fighting Illini sweatshirt. Illinois is the clear early leader here.

"I like coach Ron Zook because he gets on them if they mess up," Phillips said. "Most of the athletes that they have there are real good."

link

Wow that kid looks like an absolute stud. Hopefully we can hold on to him. That picture of him on scout resembles LT...kind of.

I hope is 40 time improves quite a bit over the next 2 years. A 4.69 is not that impressive.

seriuosly. Get the hell out of these boards and quit being such debbie downers. THE MINNESOTA GOPHERS just got a huge verbal commitment, reason to celebrate!

Brother is a vikings scout and played college ball with hammock I believe. Why not be happy?

I would say those are a couple pretty important factors, or at least lessen the possibility of a de-commit. Good info.

seriuosly. Get the hell out of these boards and quit being such debbie downers. THE MINNESOTA GOPHERS just got a huge verbal commitment, reason to celebrate!

Agree. There is certainly no downside to this that I can see. I can understand some folks being a bit cautious because of the amount of time between now and when he can officially sign a letter. But in watching this kid's film, there is no doubt that he has the potential to be one heckuva of a player. And right now, he's committed to being a Gopher!!!!:D:D

I hope is 40 time improves quite a bit over the next 2 years. A 4.69 is not that impressive.

For an electronically timed 40 run by a RB who just finished his sophomore year it's not a bad time.

For comparison here's some of the 40 times from Big Ten backs at the most recent NFL Combine:

Kory Sheets 4.47
Beanie Wells 4.59
Javon Ringer 4.60
Shonn Greene 4.65
Tyrell Sutton 4.75

how does this effect lipsomb's next decision?

Hard to say at this point. A lot is going to happen between now and next year, so there's a lot of variables at play. From a logistical stand point, Lipscomb is two years ahead of Phillips, so even if Lipscomb plays a year at the JUCO level and then comes next year, he'll still be a sophomore and play another year before Phillips ever gets to campus. Of course, a lot of things have to happen before any of this even comes into play.

As of right now, I don't think it would affect too much in regards to recruiting Lipscomb. Then again, I guess we'll have wait and find out.

CALVINPHILLIPS6_18200.JPG

I don't think we need to say anything more...

Apparently we just landed some major RB commit for 2011.

This is HUGE!! (if so)

But it's still over a year away and the guy likes Illinois. I'd love to see him in maroon and gold and the guy can play, but...

Holy Sh*t! That kid looks like a college senior. S-T-U-D in the making...

:clap: Brewster

And that's just his casual pose. They tried to take a picture of him with his intense face on, but the camera blew up.

Love it! Do you suppose the Illini fans are bitching about Zook not locking down the borders?

Top Bottom