Never again..

Half this board has been on the Fleck bandwagon because they think he is dreamy. The results are not a big concern. A big reason this board is kind of a running joke in the Gopher community,
He is good looking and a sharp dresser, but I'm on the bandwagon because he produced the best season in my lifetime, has won both bowl games he's made, raised the national profile of the program to a huge extent (top 10 ranking, playoff conversation, CGD x2, etc), beat Wisconsin in Madison, and etc. All the positive work he's doing in the lives of young men and the community is icing.

It certainly didnt vault this program into a B10 contender that many had hoped it would.
Wait. What?
That was 2019 and you expected us to be a Big Ten contender last year and we weren't so it's over?

This team is not at the 2019 level.

It might not be, and odds would tell you it just isn't because 11-2 is tough for any very good team.

So what is your suggested plan of action?
Not play in seasons where we don't have a very high confidence level of going 11-2?

We can't quit the season now.
Are you suggesting we make personnel changes?
Time to fire the coach?
What's your proposed solution to your obvious problem?

I think equivocating this year's start to 2019's and the end results of the 2019 season is overly optimistic.

I think equivocating Fleck and his results to Brewster and his results is less than overly simplistic.

I think equivocating Fleck and his results to Brewster and his results is less than overly simplistic.
Is that all you got? I never mentioned Brewster, but it's not a high hurdle to be better than him.

I think equivocating this year's start to 2019's and the end results of the 2019 season is overly optimistic.
Might be... We Just have no idea. Through two games I'll take this team over 2019 though.

Might be... We Just have no idea. Through two games I'll take this team over 2019 though.
Time will tell, I really haven't seen that "something special" about this team as I did in Tampa Bay.

Is that all you got? I never mentioned Brewster, but it's not a high hurdle to be better than him.

Yes.

That's all I got.

For now.

I don't know of anyone who is predicting this team this year to go 11-2 at this point.

Time will tell, I really haven't seen that "something special" about this team as I did in Tampa Bay.
Oh I totally agree. They were clicking on all cylinders in Tampa. Not so much against SDSU and Fresno. Not looking so special at that point. But hey only time will tell like you said.

A big reason this board is kind of a running joke in the Gopher community,

Is there a large vibrant Gopher community outside of this board? Could have fooled me. I've been living in this state for close to 20 years now and I'm sure I can count the number of people (outside of this board) on one hand who have brought up the Gophers to me in a conversation. That's a pretty striking difference to what you'll encounter living in eastern Iowa.

He is good looking and a sharp dresser, but I'm on the bandwagon because he produced the best season in my lifetime, has won both bowl games he's made, raised the national profile of the program to a huge extent (top 10 ranking, playoff conversation, CGD x2, etc), beat Wisconsin in Madison, and etc. All the positive work he's doing in the lives of young men and the community is icing.

It's hard to disagree with any of that but that only reinforces how difficult it may be to develop consistent success with this program.

Wait. What?
That was 2019 and you expected us to be a Big Ten contender last year and we weren't so it's over?
They are not a contender this year either and will not be next year with a massive turnover of players, especially offensive line.....It's still a mediocre program...I guess that is fine with you......Meanwhile the programs to the east and south still have better teams.

No. I was hoping we'd easily take care of a team we should be much better than. I was hoping our defense would not look lost. I was hoping we'd be dominant running the ball with that offensive line.

I'm very sorry about you being let down.

Where's the hope they will ever be better than the badgers? The defense is awful. When the gophers went 11-2, they still lost to the badgers. That one good year had a plethora of very good defensive players Fleck did not recruit. Fleck made this team better but I think we've seen his ceiling.

You want hope? There is no hope. You should give up. White flag time.

They are not a contender this year either and will not be next year with a massive turnover of players, especially offensive line.....It's still a mediocre program...I guess that is fine with you......Meanwhile the programs to the east and south still have better teams.

What should we do, as fans?

Can I assume you want to see some firings?

You're projecting.

You might end up being correct, but you are projecting what you believe.

Iowa does appear to be better, and we can't count on beating WI until we beat WI.
But at least vs WI we play a close game or win every couple of years now.
Average margin of loss against WI from 2000 until PJ arrived was us losing by 13.

That's progress.

Is there a large vibrant Gopher community outside of this board? Could have fooled me. I've been living in this state for close to 20 years now and I'm sure I can count the number of people (outside of this board) on one hand who have brought up the Gophers to me in a conversation. That's a pretty striking difference to what you'll encounter living in eastern Iowa.

The smells are different in eastern Iowa, too.

Last edited:

When half the teams in football go to bowls now they are meaningless, unless you are playing in the Fiesta, sugar, rose or orange bowl.

Meaningless? Hmmm...

If I was in search of deeper meaning, I'm not sure sports would be the first place I'd look.

The smells are different in eastern Iowa, too.

My comment had nothing to do with the quality of life in both states. Having spent considerable time in both states I've always maintained that the quality of life is higher here but the level of interest in the sports programs of the flagship universities is not. That's not necessarily a bad thing as that may speak to a greater diversity of interests here.

No. I was hoping we'd easily take care of a team we should be much better than. I was hoping our defense would not look lost. I was hoping we'd be dominant running the ball with that offensive line.
Our running back had 178 yards. Was that behind a mediocre line?

Top Bottom