Nelson named starter at Qb

You guys realize that Nelson is a true freshmen and that it may have just taken him awhile to get comfortable going from high school to college and having to learn a new offense?
We had a bye week in between Iowa and Northwestern. He wasn't ready one week ago, at home, against a weak defense, with two weeks to prepare, but he's ready one week later to start on the road, against a better defense, and 80,000 fans? C'mon....

This could be meant to be. Philip Nelson has deep, unfortunate Badger roots--what better place for his coming out party than Camp Randall in an improbable victory?

Then again, I'm a massive rube.

Barring Kill and staff going ha at the last second we are starting Shortell afterall, I'm hoping the spirit of Phil Kessel is alive and well at Camp Randall.

Love the move if true...way to shake off three weeks of negativity. Even with a loss imagine the excitement if he flashes any moments close to brilliance.

If this program can't find a quarterback to take the field in 2016 to replace Nelsons fifth year, then shut the program down.

We had a bye week in between Iowa and Northwestern. He wasn't ready one week ago, at home, against a weak defense, with two weeks to prepare, but he's ready one week later to start on the road, against a better defense, and 80,000 fans? C'mon....

Very good points

We had a bye week in between Iowa and Northwestern. He wasn't ready one week ago, at home, against a week defense, with two weeks to prepare, but he's ready one week later to start on the road, against a better defense, and 80,000 fans? C'mon....

At some point they feel he is ready. Maybe it wasn't last week. Maybe Nelson had a great week of practice this week and continues to get better every week. That kind of stuff does happen, especially with freshman who get more and more comfortable as the year goes on. Maybe they felt that Gray would be able to play a bunch last week so it wasn't worth it. The point is that you and I have no idea. We're not at practice everyday. I just think it's funny how simple some people are trying to make this.

Very good points

Unless you consider Max Shortell could not finish the Northwestern game because of a shot to the head.

If your bitin your nails that Nelson is one more hit away from playing as it is, why not do it now. Any type of success on Saturday regardless of final outcome the purdue game becomes must watch TV or must attend game situation.

Added bonus: the half of the board that are going to get Viking season tickets instead of Gopher tickets next season will be glued to their TVs and if he plays well will be back on the bandwagon. Beat the Aggies!

At some point they feel he is ready. Maybe it wasn't last week. Maybe Nelson had a great week of practice this week and continues to get better every week. That kind of stuff does happen, especially with freshman who get more and more comfortable as the year goes on. Maybe they felt that Gray would be able to play a bunch last week so it wasn't worth it. The point is that you and I have no idea. We're not at practice everyday. I just think it's funny how simple some people are trying to make this.

Possible? Ya I guess. Likely? No.

This is the math I don't get, is the cost of an additional year of Nelson's eligibility, especially when you presume the team would be more competitive, worth the potential marginally better chance Nelson gives you to win against Wisconsin?

Maybe recruit Streveler is looking like the real thing so taking off Nelsons redshirt wont hurt that much.

Possible? Ya I guess. Likely? No.

This is the math I don't get, is the cost of an additional year of Nelson's eligibility, especially when you presume the team would be more competitive, worth the potential marginally better chance Nelson gives you to win against Wisconsin?

It's easy for us, as fans, to look at that way. As a coach, you certainly want to try and look to the future. But what does that say to the seniors on the team if they keep the redshirt on someone who potentially gives us a better chance to win?

I'm not even saying this is a good decision. It's a tough call. I hope it works out if Nelson does, in fact, play.

2016: Leidner/Streveler/Yet unnamed QB inspired to play for Gophers becaue of Nelson's success. Let's roll!

Go Philip! Go Gophers! Let's get that axe back to Minny!

Kill tried to keep his redshirt on. The team was 4-0. Gray continues to get hurt and Shortell takes no pressure off our OL AND RB's. Nelson gives us the best chance to win in the Big Ten. If Gray was 100% likely the redshirt stays in tact.

Kill tried to keep his redshirt on. The team was 4-0. Gray continues to get hurt and Shortell takes no pressure off our OL AND RB's. Nelson gives us the best chance to win in the Big Ten. If Gray was 100% likely the redshirt stays in tact.

Exactly

Then this shows a disturbing lack of understanding of your own roster to put Max out there for three weeks if Nelson is unquestionably the better player.

And if he's not unquestionably the better player, this reeks of desperation.

Great points

Unless you consider Max Shortell could not finish the Northwestern game because of a shot to the head.

Then why not put Nelson in last week and see what he can do? You have to be thinking about it, right? Why not pull the trigger then?

Oh yeah, that's right. Nelson had such a great week of practice that he leaped over Shortell and a gimpy Gray. He went from third string last week to starter. What a week!!

I have mixed feelings about this, but regardless of what happens the rest of this year, I am more concerned with next year. I got to assume Shortell would transfer if he is passed up on the depth chart for by a freshman. So assuming he transfers, we have a redshirt freshman and a true freshman as his backups. In Kill's offense I think we are going to see a lot of QB's getting banged up. I just hope this isn't a continuous problem with having to burn redshirts due to injuries. Hard to build depth of a program doing it that way. But oh well, I am just going to sit back and try to enjoy the show.

Then why not put Nelson in last week and see what he can do? You have to be thinking about it, right? Why not pull the trigger then?

Oh yeah, that's right. Nelson had such a great week of practice that he leaped over Shortell and a gimpy Gray. He went from third string last week to starter. What a week!!

Try to keep up...Shortell got hurt vs. Northwestern. His backup got re-hurt vs. Northwestern. Neither are 100 percent. Instead of hoping and praying one can be effective, they are going with a talented unproven inexperienced talented third option.

How many of the top 5-10 QB recruits in the country start 48-52 games in their college careers? No I'm not saying Nelson was that type of recruit. If he starts Saturday and every game after that through 2015 that's more than 95 percent of every college football quarterback on a roster today.

Amen Maxy! Exactly what I mentioned a couple of weeks ago and got raked over the coals. High ankle sprains can take almost 2 months from start to finish when they get re-aggravated , and it's clear Max was what, apparently, he is and the Gophs need to win NOW!

You guys realize that Nelson is a true freshmen and that it may have just taken him awhile to get comfortable going from high school to college and having to learn a new offense?

+1 I was thinking along the same lines. It may have taken a while to go from thinking deeply then reacting/ running the play to just reacting/ running the play.

Kill has become unhinged. He is lashing out at the fans by putting in a QB that has not been fully trained by him, wink, wink. After all, we have been told by so many on this board that our players have to really learn about Kill's system to make it work. I'm on board with the whole train until ready thing. But, then again, I'm on board with playing our best players on any given day. But, with all that has happened this week I think it might just be possible that the coach is throwing the fans under the bus with a stunt like this. The other odd stunt was pulling the NC contract and giving up $800,000 in University funds. Did the Board of Trustees approve that expenditure or does the coach think he runs the joint. Right now, it looks like the whole program is being run by amateurs and misfits.

Play Shortell. Let Nelson gain a year of practice and preparation. Wink, wink.

You're really starting to sound like an idiot.....just saying.

It's not that hard of a concept to understand. Kill has tried his damndest to preserve Nelson's redshirt until there is no other option. Who really knows the circumstances but obviously Nelson at this point gives us the best chance to win tomorrow. I think a lot of people here are making too much out of this move. Whether it's injuries to others, Nelson's progress, or a needed spark....we're all right. The truth is somewhere in the middle and a combination of them all. Ski-U-Mah, down with becky!

Try to keep up...Shortell got hurt vs. Northwestern. His backup got re-hurt vs. Northwestern. Neither are 100 percent. Instead of hoping and praying one can be effective, they are going with a talented unproven inexperienced talented third option.

No need to be an asshole.

If Nelson is ready this week, then he was close or ready last week. So if you're seriously considering burning Nelson's redshirt, then why not have a plan last week at home in case Shortell gets hurt or is ineffective and/or Gray gets "re-hurt" or is ineffective?

Instead, Shortell gets hurt and you play a less-than-100% Gray and risk him getting hurt again (or worse). And now you're reportedly going to start Nelson away in a rivalry game? It seems like a desperate move to me. But I'm sure it's all part of the great rebuilding plan.

You're really starting to sound like an idiot.....just saying.

It's not that hard of a concept to understand. Kill has tried his damndest to preserve Nelson's redshirt until there is no other option. Who really knows the circumstances but obviously Nelson at this point gives us the best chance to win tomorrow. I think a lot of people here are making too much out of this move. Whether it's injuries to others, Nelson's progress, or a needed spark....we're all right. The truth is somewhere in the middle and a combination of them all. Ski-U-Mah, down with becky!
All praise fearless leader!!

He has a fire and strength that burns with the light of a million suns!!

Truly all of his enemies will tremble in his wake!!

Don't believe imperialist media that says great leader is showing fear!!

Great leader will send imperialist media across the ocean with fierce strength and resiliency!!

Maybe because he hadn't been getting first team reps all week like he has this week.

At least Wisconsin doesn't have game film nor game planned for Nelson.

No need to be an asshole.

If Nelson is ready this week, then he was close or ready last week. So if you're seriously considering burning Nelson's redshirt, then why not have a plan last week at home in case Shortell gets hurt or is ineffective and/or Gray gets "re-hurt" or is ineffective?

Instead, Shortell gets hurt and you play a less-than-100% Gray and risk him getting hurt again (or worse). And now you're reportedly going to start Nelson away in a rivalry game? It seems like a desperate move to me. But I'm sure it's all part of the great rebuilding plan.

Not sure how much of the game you watched, but Gray was pretty dang effeective last week when he was in there. Then, the unfortunate thing happens and he sprains his ankle again.

I think MAXY was spot on in his earlier post. They wanted to red-shirt Nelson - to the point that they exhausted all options last week. (In fact, I saw Leidner taking practice snaps on the sideline last week in the 2nd half). That being said, after Max looked extremely shaky down the stretch last week - and being dinged up himself; I am guessing the staff came to the conclusion that

a) Q is not going to be healthy for probably another month.
b) Max has been extremely ineffective in every Big 10 game that he has been involved in.
c) We are 4-2
d) The Big 10 is not that good this year, and even though it hasn't been pretty the last 2 weeks - there are winnable games still on the schedule (Purdue, Illinois, and even Michigan State).

Who gives us the best chance to win 2 or even 3 more games this year?

I am not even sure that I 100% agree with this move, but I also appreciate the desire to go after some success this year. Kill's offense is made for someone like Q or Nelson. Not Max - even if he is a decent QB in his own right.

Let's go get that Axe.

Reusse tweeted, "this is a mid-season move, decent QB play gets a couple more wins. Go for it."

I agree with this. Have to go for wins.

Top Bottom