Nelson is too good not to play this year

matt

Let's get weird
Reaction score
Nelson at WR this year! amirite?!

(first)

Nelson was brutal in the scrimmage today. Shortell is light years ahead of him for the backup job.

Nelson was brutal in the scrimmage today. Shortell is light years ahead of him for the backup job.

+1 Shortell is the best passer on the team and his speed and quickness has improved over last year. Nelson has impressive physical talents but he sure won't beat Shortell out for number 2 in the fall.

--------------------------------- END OF THREAD -------------------------------------------------------------

why did reusse say Philip Nelson was going to go play for another school next year? 4/21 a.m. radio show

wait!what? said:
why did reusse say Philip Nelson was going to go play for another school next year? 4/21 a.m. radio show

Because he's a complete idiot and knows nothing about Gopher football....my guess.

+1 Shortell is the best passer on the team and his speed and quickness has improved over last year. Nelson has impressive physical talents but he sure won't beat Shortell out for number 2 in the fall.

Agree Shortell is under rated. Would love to see him with a good O-line and receivers. Best offensive player on the field today.

Spring Practice

Agree Shortell is under rated. Would love to see him with a good O-line and receivers. Best offensive player on the field today.

At Tuesday's practice it was just opposite, i.e. Nelson was the best player on the field. But it is really silly to use a spring game to make such judgments. The good news is that the coaches’ goal for today's game was to allow those players who haven't played to get some experience. That was accomplished. Deciding whether Shortell was the better QB wasn't even on the agenda. Spring practice is about experimentation. Fall practice is about getting ready for the upcoming season and making decisions. I suppose now we will be hearing all summer from the GopherHole experts how much better Shortell is than Nelson.

I totally agree on the importance of Spring ball, thats why im appalled at the number of individuals claiming that Nelson should start this year. I dont care how good he is in spring ball, its fricken spring ball!!! Things can change alot in the fall

I must say though, I am in the camp who believes that almost under no circumstances, should we burn a year of elgibility for Nelson this year.

I suppose now we will be hearing all summer from the GopherHole experts how much better Shortell is than Nelson.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about, Mrs. Nelson? Your boy hasn't even played a college down. I hope he's everything you hope he is and he wins a B10 title for us; but anyone at the game today saw that Max is much more prepared to play.

Take a couple days off from posting.

I suppose now we will be hearing all summer from the GopherHole experts how much better Shortell is than Nelson.

Quote by LesBolstad:

"WTF are you talking about, Mrs. Nelson? Your boy hasn't even played a college down. I hope he's everything you hope he is and he wins a B10 title for us; but anyone at the game today saw that Max is much more prepared to play.

Take a couple days off from posting."

Killjoy's response to LesBolstad:

I always amazed by lack of reading comprehension here. I didn't say that Shortell wasn't the better QB today. What I said was that Nelson was the better QB at the Tuesday scrimmage and that all of us shouldn’t read too much into a spring game. For one thing each of them had different lines and receivers which could have made a difference, but then maybe not. Also what I didn’t say is that I attended many other practices this spring, including the Friday night practice under lights, where Nelson performed better than Shortell. I am saying this only as an observation. I would much prefer and would very happy to see Shortell as the backup this fall. For some reason you seemed to have read a great deal more into my comments than I ever attended. In addition it not necessary to be rude an uncivil if somebody is expressing an opinion that you don’t agree with. This is especially true if it is an opinion that you have misconstrued. Next time you might take a little more time to actually read what I said and didn’t say.

Incosistent Practice of Your Courtesy to Other Posts

Quote by LesBolstad:

"WTF are you talking about, Mrs. Nelson? Your boy hasn't even played a college down. I hope he's everything you hope he is and he wins a B10 title for us; but anyone at the game today saw that Max is much more prepared to play.

I always amazed by lack of reading comprehension here. I didn't say that Shortell wasn't the better QB today. What I said was that Nelson was the better QB at the Tuesday scrimmage and that all of us shouldn’t read too much into a spring game. For one thing each of them had different lines and receivers which could have made a difference, but then maybe not. Also what I didn’t say is that I attended many other practices this spring, including the Friday night practice under lights, where Nelson performed better than Shortell. I am saying this only as an observation. I would much prefer and would very happy to see Shortell as the backup this fall. For some reason you seemed to have read a great deal more into my comments than I ever attended. In addition it not necessary to be rude an uncivil if somebody is expressing an opinion that you don’t agree with. This is especially true if it is an opinion that you have misconstrued. Next time you might take a little more time to actually read what I said and didn’t say.

In addition it not necessary to be rude an uncivil if somebody is expressing an opinion that you don’t agree with.
I seem to recall certain posts of yours that ran contrary to this latest quote. I do agree with this statement and respect the right of communicating their opinions as long as it is respectful. Just remember we are all Gopher fans who share that enthusiasm.

Uffda

In addition it not necessary to be rude an uncivil if somebody is expressing an opinion that you don’t agree with.
I seem to recall certain posts of yours that ran contrary to this latest quote. I do agree with this statement and respect the right of communicating their opinions as long as it is respectful. Just remember we are all Gopher fans who share that enthusiasm.

You are absolutely correct about some of my posts when it came to wren. I won't bore you with the details but wren did somethings on the Strib blog that from perspective he deserved everything I said to him after what he did. Hopefully those days are overnow that he is gone. I am sure there are those here would disagree with me and that is fine.

You are absolutely correct about some of my posts when it came to wren. I won't bore you with the details but wren did somethings on the Strib blog that from perspective he deserved everything I said to him after what he did. Hopefully those days are overnow that he is gone. I am sure there are those here would disagree with me and that is fine.
Oh, really? What did wren do? This sounds like juicy gossip.

Quote by LesBolstad:

Bravo! Some on this board are too regularly uncivil and insulting, often because they misread or misunderstand another post. There should be camaraderie here, not nitpicking.

Nelson should be thinking about prom right now. I am not at all discouraged over his struggles today. It's to be expected.

It's nice to hear that Shortell looked good. The kid is in a somewhat tough spot, he's a year older than the hometown golden boy who plays his position.

The "Shortell or Nelson Dilemma" is a fall of 2013 question, it should be interesting, they both seem like talented and competitive guys.

Whether it's Shortell, Nelson, Leidner, Foreman, or 2013 QB recruit Jabba the Hut, it will be nice to have some depth. Kill has mentioned many times how important this position is, and he's not going to put all of his eggs in a basket with a single guy. Notice how hard he's still recruiting 2013 QBs. If a football program is in the position where people are relying on a redshirt freshmen to be a 4 year starter in order to win, that program probably isn't very good.

Whether it's Shortell, Nelson, Leidner, Foreman, or 2013 QB recruit Jabba the Hut, it will be nice to have some depth. Kill has mentioned many times how important this position is, and he's not going to put all of his eggs in a basket with a single guy. Notice how hard he's still recruiting 2013 QBs. If a football program is in the position where people are relying on a redshirt freshmen to be a 4 year starter in order to win, that program probably isn't very good.
This recruit has a lot of question marks. Really small arms, I doubt he can throw very well. I question his mobility as well. I've also heard he's not exactly a boy scout... However on the plus side he is very hard to bring down.

zambam

Oh, really? What did wren do? This sounds like juicy gossip.

It is a story that could be best told by Charles Dickens. All I will say for now is that it is a story of intrigue and deceit that partners Pantherhawk and wren in their desire to implement their hideous plot. It is not a story for the faint of heart.

Killjoy said:
It is a story that could be best told by Charles Dickens. All I will say for now is that it is a story of intrigue and deceit that partners Pantherhawk and wren in their desire to implement their hideous plot. It is not a story for the faint of heart.
Plot? This is a message board. Let's keep it simple.

Killjoy's Obsession with Wren

Plot? This is a message board. Let's keep it simple.

Killjoy - Why are you so obsessed with Wren? He no longer posts on Gopherhole. Do you feel better about yourself by continuously smearing him? Try looking in the mirror.We all have strengths and weaknesses. I have nothing against you, but I am personally tired of your never-ending obsession.

I suppose now we will be hearing all summer from the GopherHole experts how much better Shortell is than Nelson.

WTF are you talking about, Mrs. Nelson? Your boy hasn't even played a college down. I hope he's everything you hope he is and he wins a B10 title for us; but anyone at the game today saw that Max is much more prepared to play.

Take a couple days off from posting.[/QUOTE]

Cold blooded. I lolz'd

Remember when Wren flipped out because someone claiming to be Tim Brewtser kept calling his house & he blamed Kelly Leeks? They're both banned now, lol. GH classic.

Killjoy - Why are you so obsessed with Wren? He no longer posts on Gopherhole. Do you feel better about yourself by continuously smearing him? Try looking in the mirror.We all have strengths and weaknesses. I have nothing against you, but I am personally tired of your never-ending obsession.

LOL - Actually you made a reference to my past posting to wren when I suggested to another poster that there was no need to be rude and uncivil. I hadn’t talked about wren since he was banned accept maybe once to say how nice it had been here since he was no longer posting here. But I have moved on and so has wren.

Regardless of his current skill level, Nelson should redshirt this season. With Gray and Shortell here there's no reason to waste a year of eligibility. Having more than one serviceable Big Ten-level QB is a nice problem to have, and I would consider it a sign of progress for the program if we don't have to run out a RS Freshman as our starting QB next season because we have no other options.

There's nothing wrong with giving Nelson a few years to physically mature, understand the college-level game and get a few years in the system before turning the keys over to him IMO.

The best part about this thread is finding all of the spots in which Killjoy uses (in addition to horrible grammar) the wrong word in a sentence. ( "attended"/intended - "accept"/except )

Oh lord...the only thing that could make this thread better. A grammar/word use/spelling check.

Top Bottom