Needs to be said

Seemed pretty full to me. I have gopher pass and like to float a lot but we didn't because options were limited. And I would have loved to move because there were 2 guys behind me yammering all game long with the worst takes ever.
We had a yammer-yacker behind us too. Really hard on Tanner and offering that he was not getting any help from the O-Line would not register.

I know we want butts in the seats but hopefully we don't see or hear him again this season behind us.

No. Were you even there? Were you in the concourses?
Yes, yes. Been to every Gophs game there, so I think I have a pretty good gage of attendance. The upper deck NW couple of sections were pretty empty. visible amount of open seats between the 40s on the home side on both levels. The striping helped this some.

Last edited:

We had a yammer-yacker behind us too. Really hard on Tanner and offering that he was not getting any help from the O-Line would not register.

I know we want butts in the seats but hopefully we don't see or hear him again this season behind us.
Luckily for me my seats change every game.

It was certainly IMO ... one of Tanner's worst "decision making games". There were passes to be made, staring down receivers too much a few times.

But I usually never mention Tanner as QBs always get too much blame.

I didn't like how Tanner played, but he also didn't have protection and he hit guys with good passes too... they just didn't make them.

When it is the whole offense it's really hard for me to get on the QB, even if I felt the QB didn't do good.

The actual attendance yesterday was pathetic. 48 plus tickets sold. Perhaps 35 or so in the stands. Ridiculous and embarrassing. Either don’t buy a ticket and stay home or go the game. Less voices to scream on third down or cheer a great play. Come on gopher fans. .
Wrong on many points/levels. 👎

Consider yourself fed, btw.

several factors at work here on the no-shows.

If I had to guess, I would say that most of the no-shows are "corporate" season tickets. companies - especially sponsors - get tickets and often distribute them to clients, etc. those people are probably not hard-core fans, so some may just not show up or they have other plans and don't bother to try and give their tickets away.

stations on the radio network are allocated tickets for give-ways, etc which may or may not be used.
if you're not a hard-core fan - not into tailgating, etc - going to a game can been seen as a bit of a hassle. have to deal with traffic, parking, etc - especially if you're not a regular fan and don't know the ropes.

Well, even with the clunker may have gained a future fan in Kiddo. Purchased an empty seat next to me and Mrs. Billd for Northwestern. We'll see if we add him to our season tix next year and beyond.

When looking at what's left of tix next to us pretty clear the block of 4 to our right is "open" and being taken up on a game-by-game basis. Still glad we found the one for the Wildcats.

As an aside, 2 seats of that block belonged to "John" who was a 50-year plus Gophers fan. Originally from Iowa, he adopted the Gophers when he moved here in the 60s. A great guy who passed in late 2020 (but not from covid). His family kindly let us know at the start of last season.

It was a good crowd. Late arriving and that killed the opening atmosphere. Why the U chose an 11am game again for Homecoming is beyond me. Sold two of my tickets day of the game and they didn't sit in the seats. They just wanted in the game. Purdue scored before many got to their seats and that didn't help either. Different end to game if we don't drop the TD for an int.

In person I,d say it was 45000.
From an article in the Strib a few years ago, pretty much every game was 5-10% no shows, even big games so that would be in line with roughly 45,000 actually making it through the turnstiles. Visually, I would cosign on that, give or take 1500.

I guess "turnstiles" is an outdated reference, now that it's hand held scanners.

The actual attendance yesterday was pathetic. 48 plus tickets sold. Perhaps 35 or so in the stands. Ridiculous and embarrassing. Either don’t buy a ticket and stay home or go the game. Less voices to scream on third down or cheer a great play. Come on gopher fans. .
Right. It needed to be said. It took courage. Nobody has ever talked about attendance on GopherHole. Thank you for having the seeds to bring up this untouchable topic. Sarcasm meters should be on please.

Seriously there were WAY more than 35K in the seats as some of the other posters have already pointed out. We have plenty to complain about after that loss. Let's please not make stuff up to make ourselves more miserable.

And...great job, student section!

It was a good crowd. Late arriving and that killed the opening atmosphere. Why the U chose an 11am game again for Homecoming is beyond me. Sold two of my tickets day of the game and they didn't sit in the seats. They just wanted in the game. Purdue scored before many got to their seats and that didn't help either. Different end to game if we don't drop the TD for an int.

Don't the Networks and the Big Ten have more influence than the team does on kickoff time? Mainly the Networks.

Don't the Networks and the Big Ten have more influence than the team does on kickoff time? Mainly the Networks.
Yep. I don't think we have much choice. Is it possible they also want 11 am for homecoming to limit excessive drinking?

Yes. My interpretation is the only influence that the schools have on the time for the Homecoming game is that it is announced before the season starts, so everyone can plan accordingly.

Same deal for the Gophers at Illini game on Oct 15 which is also at 11am CDT. It's their Homecoming, time was announced this summer well in advance. Only other game that week with an announced time is Badgers at Spartans, 2:30 PM which is Michigan St's Homecoming. Other 3 games, TBA.

Yep. I don't think we have much choice. Is it possible they also want 11 am for homecoming to limit excessive drinking?

You're right. They were probably ok with it. Though even if the U liked it if it was a 4-0 Gopher team and let say a 4-0 tOSU, MI or PSU team, doubt that both Fox, ESPN or even BTN would have passed on a later time slot.

Yes. My interpretation is the only influence that the schools have on the time for the Homecoming game is that it is announced before the season starts, so everyone can plan accordingly.

Same deal for the Gophers at Illini game on Oct 15 which is also at 11am CDT. It's their Homecoming, time was announced this summer well in advance. Only other game that week with an announced time is Badgers at Spartans, 2:30 PM which is Michigan St's Homecoming. Other 3 games, TBA.

Thanks. Wasn't aware of the Homecoming Rule.

The student section was full for the entire game. We are the heartbeat of that stadium and it was rocking the entire game. Not too concerned about the rest of the sections as long as the students are into the game. Other sections were also involved throughout the game and didn't give up. It looked pretty full starting around mid-way through the second, probably due to the long lines. If you don't want to wait in line, show up early like the rest of us. Even if attendance wasn't as high as some would have liked it to be, the stripe out was a massive success. This thread seems like you are just fishing for something to be mad about. Would you have posted this if we hadn't lost? Keep this same energy when the Iowa game rolls around lmao.

Last edited:

It's decided before the season and I'm sure the Networks get involved, but it's terrible for any pre game activities and getting to the game.

It's decided before the season and I'm sure the Networks get involved, but it's terrible for any pre game activities and getting to the game.
I feel you. It's brutal waking up at 5 on gameday. It's even worse when you have to do it again the next day to watch the vikes 😭

Oddly enough my watch kept telling me it was too loud.
I go to multiple Heavy Metal shows a month, and I always bring some damn good earplugs....this was the first Gophers game that got my ears stinging a bit...I sat next to a super raucous 8 year old kiddo and she was bringing the HEAT all game long.
Despite how much she crushed my ears, I was so glad to have that energy nearby! lol

I thought it looked thin at the start of the game, and I was real concerned by that. By the middle of the 2nd quarter it had filled out nicely. After visiting the board after the game it became clear the lines really slowed people down.

Not a sellout - but still, I thought turnout was really solid.

I really hope that some of the folks being labeled "bandwagon" stick around. I don't see them as bandwagon at all - not everyone really understands the draw of college football because they've only ever cut their teeth on the Vikes....

I brought a former Vikings season ticket holder to a game this year and he was shocked by how fun it was. The gameday experience is just SO MUCH BETTER with college. I've tailgated with the Vikings and I find it pretty lame compared to the Gophers and what gameday is like.

The new network contract should lean into noon starts at the earliest. We also need to have fewer let down games going forward.

The new network contract should lean into noon starts at the earliest. We also need to have fewer let down games going forward.
I'm a weirdo and I like the 11 starts. Lets me get on with my day lol. I'm an old man already.

The student section was full for the entire game. We are the heartbeat of that stadium and it was rocking the entire game. Not too concerned about the rest of the sections as long as the students are into the game. Other sections were also involved throughout the game and didn't give up. It looked pretty full starting around mid-way through the second, probably due to the long lines. If you don't want to wait in line, show up early like the rest of us. Even if attendance wasn't as high as some would have liked it to be, the stripe out was a massive success. This thread seems like y'all are just fishing for something to be mad about. Would you have posted this if we hadn't lost? Keep this same energy when the Iowa game rolls around lmao.
Not all us mind you, just a vocal minority sounding off.

I was impressed by the Student Section, big time. I arrived on campus just before 9am to tailgate near the stadium and looked like several thousand students were already queued up to enter the Bank.

Well done.

The student section was full for the entire game. We are the heartbeat of that stadium and it was rocking the entire game. Not too concerned about the rest of the sections as long as the students are into the game. Other sections were also involved throughout the game and didn't give up. It looked pretty full starting around mid-way through the second, probably due to the long lines. If you don't want to wait in line, show up early like the rest of us. Even if attendance wasn't as high as some would have liked it to be, the stripe out was a massive success. This thread seems like you are just fishing for something to be mad about. Would you have posted this if we hadn't lost? Keep this same energy when the Iowa game rolls around lmao.
The older you get in Minnesota, the more miserable experiences you have stacked on top of each other! lol.

Man I was so jacked to see that student section just rocking.

It sounds like you are a student - if so - please keep that passion going, we need it! I sit next to the student section and even though I don't love my view, I'm not sure I'll move next year because I want to be near the energy!

Top Bottom