Nebraska's view of this years matchup

beatles

Reaction score
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_9b699b4e-03b8-11e5-bb05-cf6f1de2d90c.html

2. at Minnesota: The Huskers need to put an end to the Gophers' uprising. It's not only that Minnesota has beaten NU the past two years. It's the way Minnesota has out-toughed Nebraska. Consider that the Huskers blocked a field goal and returned it for a touchdown against Minnesota last season -- a 10-point swing -- and still lost at home. Because it's a divisional game, and because of the recent history in this series, and because it comes a week after what figures to be an emotional game against Wisconsin, this one deserves to be rated very high on the list.

84-13

we have plenty of pay back left. we have nothing to feel sorry for the Huskers and really we are still on the owing side of things.

I still have relatives in NE that remind of the whoop ass they opened on us at the humpty dome in 1983

The first Gopher game I attended as a youngster was the Nebraska game in the early 70's, 1973 I think; 48-7 was the score and there were a ton of red clad Husker fans in Memorial Stadium. It's payback time, I have been waiting for this for a long time.

Speaking of Nebraska, I wonder if NU will bring as many fans as they did in 2013. I swear the stadium was 60/40 Husker fans.

Speaking of Nebraska, I wonder if NU will bring as many fans as they did in 2013. I swear the stadium was 60/40 Husker fans.

With all the empty seats from fleeing season ticket holders, it could be even worse. /s

13 I didn't think they traveled nearly as well. Their first trip back here, that one had a good Husker contingent.

My favorite part of the 2013 game wasn't the win. It wasn't the inventive playcalling. The people in front of us brought a couple of guests-pretty girls in their early 20s who were big Husker fans. The one who was in front of me turned around and told me, "Sorry, but you're going to have to stare at my butt all day long, because I'm not sitting down." I replied, "Fair enough" and proceeded to enjoy the view on the field and the view right in front of my eyes. I feel like I won twice that day.

I guess i would not worry about the Fan base even with some departure of Season ticket holders, there is enough interest in the Gophers and Coach kills product on the field is one that many single game tickets will be bought without the seat license to fill up the stadium this year

I got more money that game than any other time I sold my tickets. Nebraska fans were generous.

Another "speaking of Nebraska" comment: we sat next to a Huskers fan on the plane today and can you guess where his worst experience as a visitor was?

We're getting a little more respect from other teams' fans and journalists, but they're still having a hard time admitting we're just better than they are. It sounds a little strange even for me to say, but our program is now better than Nebraska's. We have better players, more depth, more talent [on the field, if not in the hypothetical "rankings" of a few third-party recruiting publications]. We should beat them.

We're getting a little more respect from other teams' fans and journalists, but they're still having a hard time admitting we're just better than they are. It sounds a little strange even for me to say, but our program is now better than Nebraska's. We have better players, more depth, more talent [on the field, if not in the hypothetical "rankings" of a few third-party recruiting publications]. We should beat them.

Not to mention a better coaching staff, and that goes back to the Bo Pelini days...

Yeah you won't find many, if any, Husker fans or media that thinks Minnesota has more talent than Nebraska. Most think the past 2 years has been entirely based on coaching and now that Pelini is gone Nebraska should be able to take care of Minnesota again. I of course disagree and don't think there is a talent gap, but Nebraska people haven't grasped that yet.

My brother, the Neb., grad likened this streak to the trouble they had with ISU a few years back in the Big 12. I let it slide, confident that I will be giving him grief at TCF this fall.

Unfortunately, it goes back to the old "conventional college FB wisdom" that so many fans and members of the media rely on. Conventional wisdom says Nebraska is a big-time FB power, and MN is not, so Nebraska must have more talent, because they're "supposed to."

Go to any state other than MN, and ask the 1st 10 college FB fans you meet - which team is more physical, Nebraska or MN? I'll wager that the vast majority would say Nebraska - even though the Gophs were clearly the more physical team the last two year.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and respect is a dish that must be earned slowly over time. The Gophs need to beat up a lot more teams at the line of scrimmage to earn respect on a national level.

The first Gopher game I attended as a youngster was the Nebraska game in the early 70's, 1973 I think; 48-7 was the score and there were a ton of red clad Husker fans in Memorial Stadium. It's payback time, I have been waiting for this for a long time.

That was my first Gopher game as well

I'm more worried about the opener against the smart kids then home against Nebraska

Just watched back the Nebraska game via BT football in 60. Some thoughts:

Kenny Bell has killed the Gophers. Happy he's moved on.
Leidner was fantastic as a runner. He got out of bounds instead of fighting for an extra yard and fumbling.
Damien Wilson was a big-time player. Poock and Williams will have big shoes to fill, but thanks to the players around them, those shoes aren't too big to handle.
Losing Tommy Olson is going to hurt more than most people realize.
The first defensive series of the second half was outstanding. Sack. No gain for Abudullah. Sack. Nebraska could have put the game away with a TD there.
Gopher fans should expect to beat Nebraska this year. The Gophers are the more physical team and have a much better defense. You won't be able to say this every year, but embrace it for a change.

Leidner was fantastic as a runner. He got out of bounds instead of fighting for an extra yard and fumbling.
Damien Wilson was a big-time player. Poock and Williams will have big shoes to fill, but thanks to the players around them, those shoes aren't too big to handle.
The first defensive series of the second half was outstanding. Sack. No gain for Abudullah. Sack. Nebraska could have put the game away with a TD there.
Gopher fans should expect to beat Nebraska this year. The Gophers are the more physical team and have a much better defense. You won't be able to say this every year, but embrace it for a change.

Kenny Bell was hurt the last 2 years against us. Which helped a ton.
We are going to miss Wilson more than many think.
I think we have better than an even chance of beating them again. Its here, and they are on a new coach and we have consistency on our side.

I never tire of re-watching the last Gophers game against Nebraska.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Gophers continue that level of physical play that they will take care of a few elite teams. That was like a heavyweight fight with the Gophers administering the knockout punch in the final round. Quite entertaining for a Gopher fan.

The NFL likes a disciplined team well coached in fundamentals with good citizenship. They will be watching this program for a long time as long as Jerry Kill is the coach.

Another thing I realized: If the offensive line somehow ends up: Lauer, Bjorklund, Christenson, Campion, Pirsig, those kids all have something in common. That would be pretty neat.

I stop short of expecting a win against Nebraska (I mean, does a dimension exist where we beat Nebraska 3 consecutive years?), but for the first time in my life I don't expect a loss. So much can change for both teams between now and gameday (especially with Nebraska having a new coaching staff), but we have proven we can beat them. If I had to project a point-spread, I would anticipate anything between Gophers -3 and Nebraska -5. It should be a close game with the Gophers' continuity and fundamentals equalizing Nebraska's slight edge in pure talent.

I mean, does a dimension exist where we beat Nebraska 3 consecutive years?

Yes - this one. We have done it many times before. Prior to 1963, we led this series 29-6-2, and in fact still lead the series today by 9 games.

We are going to miss Wilson more than many think.

I'm in the many. I think he was great, but the linebacking core may actually get better this year. Would like to see a reduction in 30+yards runs up the middle. I don't hold Damien accountable for all those big runs but as a group I would expect to see improvement in that area in particular, a little less gambling to fill outside holes early for short gains or short losses, better containment of runs up the middle that get past the D-line.

I'm in the many. I think he was great, but the linebacking core may actually get better this year. Would like to see a reduction in 30+yards runs up the middle. I don't hold Damien accountable for all those big runs but as a group I would expect to see improvement in that area in particular, a little less gambling to fill outside holes early for short gains or short losses, better containment of runs up the middle that get past the D-line.

You are right not to blame DW5 for those. The biggest reason we gave up long runs last year is still going to start at LB this year.

You are right not to blame DW5 for those. The biggest reason we gave up long runs last year is still going to start at LB this year.
There will be enough bodies rotating through that position that they will get it right eventually but maybe not game one. Either there is improvement among the current starters or newer names start taking more snaps. I think that linebacker group is big enough that good disciplined players will bubble up and best case our returning starters are all a year better/bigger/smarter.

Another "speaking of Nebraska" comment: we sat next to a Huskers fan on the plane today and can you guess where his worst experience as a visitor was?

Heard the same "Wisconsin Fans suck!" from Nebraska fans in Lincoln last year. Nebraska fans were polite to us to a fault even after the game.

There will be enough bodies rotating through that position that they will get it right eventually but maybe not game one. Either there is improvement among the current starters or newer names start taking more snaps. I think that linebacker group is big enough that good disciplined players will bubble up and best case our returning starters are all a year better/bigger/smarter.

Totally agree.

The Huskers may have better talent when the kids first hit campus, but that changes pretty quickly. Our LBs will be very good this year, better than last year. Top to bottom, the D improves. Top to bottom the O improves as well. You can not name one position where we can not be improved, including ILB and RB. Well, TE might be pretty tough, but we should be strong there in any case.

Top Bottom