Nebraska to Big Ten

From the Startribune Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said he presumed there would be a Big Ten championship football game beginning in 2011. He also said the conference would "pause" from further expansion over the next 12 to 18 months. He declined to comment on whether Notre Dame or any other school was on the league's radar.

Welcome Nebraska! Although your colors rip off the Badgers, you'll be my 3rd favorite team in the B10 now...

If we're going to 16, in addition to Nebraska let's add:

Mizzou (a natural rival for Illinois; appear on solid ground in FB & BB)
Notre Dame (love 'em or hate 'em, ND should be at the top of the list; 1st-class institution)
Pitt (good school, good FB & basketball; revive rivalry with Penn State)
Syracuse (a premier hoops program; a trip to cavernous Carrierdome in the offing)

and call it a day. That way the Big Ten will have helped both basketball and football immensely. Notre Dame would be the huge get, obviously. The Fighting Irish and Nebraska have huge football traditions, and Pitt's isn't too bad either. Pitt and especially Syracuse would be coups for basketball & Mizzou and Notre Dame are solid hoops programs. Nebraska is the only school that wouldn't bring much to basketball.

I'm assuming the Big Ten won't get Texas. If the Big Ten somehow gets both Notre Dame and the Longhorns (without giving them any special allowances), then we're talking a grand slam .

This makes complete sense, but I thought UND wasn't going to join any conference because it wants to remain independent for football. I think the expansion is for sure going to include Missouri, and after that. no one knows.
Personally, I am one of those guys that thinks geography should play a huge role in a conference's makeup. But those days are long over with the creation of leagues like Conference USA and the Summit League (for hoops), etc. Texas to the Pac-10? -- there is nothing PACIFIC about Texas, or Colorado for that matter. Oh well...

Wow, what a bold prediction! Rutgers and Notre Dame have hardly been mentioned as Big 10 candidates at all.:rolleyes:

"Big L" describes you well. I didn't say that I was the first to predict what I did. But there aren't too many people who have seemed to think the Big Ten's plans would NOT include the addition of Missouri, or Pittsburgh, or Syracuse, or Connecticut. But now that Texas has prevented too big of a seismic shift to occur, the Big Ten might just stand pat with Nebraska. The info I had heard involved Notre Dame joining, but only after Nebraska made the first move, and only if big changes were taking place.

I don't see any chance of the Big Ten going to 16 in the next 6-12 months. Clearly they want to maximize their chances to get/leave room for Texas and ND and as long as neither of them are on board, I don't think the Big Ten is going beyond 14 teams and most likely will stay at 12. Nebraska was a great addition, and a big fish no doubt. But UT and ND are the whales & Delaney's going to leave room for them no matter what.

The Big 12 survived for now & but I don't know if the TV revenue is going to be what the Big 12 brass claims it will be - we'll have to wait a few years and see if that materializes before saying the Big 12 is out of the woods, as clearly they're taking a hit with the loss of Colorado and Nebraska, so it's hard for me to believe the remaining 10 schools will all get significantly richer contracts in the long run.

as clearly they're taking a hit with the loss of Colorado and Nebraska, so it's hard for me to believe the remaining 10 schools will all get significantly richer contracts in the long run

Even if they didn't get a bigger contract overall, they'd each be making more money. X/10 > X/12

Aside from that, Beebe has already promised that more TV money is on the way.

Even if they didn't get a bigger contract overall, they'd each be making more money. X/10 > X/12

Aside from that, Beebe has already promised that more TV money is on the way.

It's not that simple; NE and CU brought money to the table. It would be X/10 vs. (X+NE+CU)/12. CU was a laggard so they would have essentially been subsidized, while Nebraska probably would have been doing the subsidizing.

That said, I think it is probably a wash.

According to sources, Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M will be guaranteed $20 million per year, while the seven remaining schools will collect between $14 million and $17 million in TV revenue in combined deals with ABC/ESPN and Fox.

Both networks stepped forward and averted what could have been complete chaos in college realignment by putting forth a combined package that will push the Big 12 from a $78 million take in annual TV revenue to just less than $200 million, sources say.

And while this deal will be remembered for holding rivals like Texas, Texas A&M and OU together. It will also be remembered for two TV networks stepping up and paying a premium dollar to ward off expansion - probably for at least another 15 years.

Both networks, but especially ESPN, faced having freshly minted contracts in other leagues (ACC and SEC) torn up if those leagues came apart or began adding significant teams.

For Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Missouri, Baylor, Kansas State and Iowa State it will be a doubling of the TV revenue those schools currently haul in from the Big 12 (about $7 million to $8 million). copied from Orangebloods.com

Top Bottom