Nebraska to Big Ten

It looks like Eliason will get a chance to play at home in front of his family after all.

It looks like Eliason will get a chance to play at home in front of his family after all.

Maybe not - Chadron is no where near Lincoln. Minneapolis to Chicago is a quicker trip.

Anyway, the question is who else is coming to the Big Ten and coming & going from a bunch of other conferences? I don't like this (from a bball only school with a Big East perspective).

Nebraska won't be the only one...just the first. I think that this pretty much locks in that we are expanding to 16 at some point soon. Cannot see Nebraska as the only one.

Nebraska won't be the only one...just the first. I think that this pretty much locks in that we are expanding to 16 at some point soon. Cannot see Nebraska as the only one.

Yep. With all those teams you know what will come next. An East and West Division alignment, with the Gophers in the West.

Add these 4 and call it a day

If we're going to 16, in addition to Nebraska let's add:

Mizzou (a natural rival for Illinois; appear on solid ground in FB & BB)
Notre Dame (love 'em or hate 'em, ND should be at the top of the list; 1st-class institution)
Pitt (good school, good FB & basketball; revive rivalry with Penn State)
Syracuse (a premier hoops program; a trip to cavernous Carrierdome in the offing)

and call it a day. That way the Big Ten will have helped both basketball and football immensely. Notre Dame would be the huge get, obviously. The Fighting Irish and Nebraska have huge football traditions, and Pitt's isn't too bad either. Pitt and especially Syracuse would be coups for basketball & Mizzou and Notre Dame are solid hoops programs. Nebraska is the only school that wouldn't bring much to basketball.

I'm assuming the Big Ten won't get Texas. If the Big Ten somehow gets both Notre Dame and the Longhorns (without giving them any special allowances), then we're talking a grand slam .

If we're going to 16, in addition to Nebraska let's add:

Mizzou (a natural rival for Illinois; appear on solid ground in FB & BB)
Notre Dame (love 'em or hate 'em, ND should be at the top of the list; 1st-class institution)
Pitt (good school, good FB & basketball; revive rivalry with Penn State)
Syracuse (a premier hoops program; a trip to cavernous Carrierdome in the offing)

and call it a day. That way the Big Ten will have helped both basketball and football immensely. Notre Dame would be the huge get, obviously. The Fighting Irish and Nebraska have huge football traditions, and Pitt's isn't too bad either. Pitt and especially Syracuse would be coups for basketball & Mizzou and Notre Dame are solid. Nebraska is the only school that wouldn't bring much to basketball.

I'm assuming the Big Ten won't get Texas. If the Big Ten somehow gets both Notre Dame and the Longhorns, then we're talking a grand slam .

+1

These are my top 4 as well - Mizzou is a much better choice than Rutgers (as some others have suggested). Also, I agree about Texas - I don't think the Big 10 ever had a realistic chance of adding the Longhorns to the mix.

Everything I've read suggests that Texas is poisonous. They want to be in control and won't accept equal revenue sharing. It sounds like Nebraska is happily sticking it to Texas after having to endure Texas' arrogance and control issues for years. Let 'em join the Pac-10.

I kind of hope that they don't add anymore schools after Nebraska since a conference with 14 or 16 schools is just too big.

It'd be really nice to land ND. I see that school as the best fit for the Big Ten of all eligible candidates that have been discussed. As all B10 schools do, ND boasts a reputation for outstanding scholastics and athletics.

Plus, ND could easily find itself with a quick rivalry with Illinois or Purdue.

I think the bright side of this is that the hoops scheduling committee can now say that they have added another BCS team to their home schedule. :D

(I kid I kid).

20-game conference schedule?

Of course, the "extra BCS team" on the home schedule assumes that the Big Ten decides to go to a 20-game conference schedule. I'd guess going to a 20-game Big Ten schedule (for which Badger Bo & a couple other coaches have been campaigning) goes completely out the window with a 12-, 14- or 16-team conference.

It'd be really nice to land ND. I see that school as the best fit for the Big Ten of all eligible candidates that have been discussed. As all B10 schools do, ND boasts a reputation for outstanding scholastics and athletics.

Plus, ND could easily find itself with a quick rivalry with Illinois or Purdue.

Don't know if you're referring to a bball rivalry, but they already have a football rivalry with Purdue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_Trophy

Don't know if you're referring to a bball rivalry, but they already have a football rivalry with Purdue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shillelagh_Trophy

In addition, one of ND's biggest rivals right now is Michigan. That is a huge game for both schools every year. ND-MSU and ND-Northwestern have some good history, too. ND has also played Purdue, Indiana, and Ohio State in football in recent years.

Is there interest in adding Kansas and Kansas State to the mix?

No. First off, they'd have to add both, and K-state would never be in the Big 10. Secondly, expansion is mostly a football and TV decision. Locking down the state of Kansas doesn't compare in bringing in eyeballs to the Big 10 to any of the other options mentioned.

I just don't see Notre Dame coming in right now. I think they'll wait. (been gone all day and jumped right on the computer to get my expansion fix) So, is it in fact true that a University has to be a member of the AAU (Association of American Universities) to be considered for membership? (With Notre Dame being the exception)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

I just don't see Notre Dame coming in right now. I think they'll wait. (been gone all day and jumped right on the computer to get my expansion fix) So, is it in fact true that a University has to be a member of the AAU (Association of American Universities) to be considered for membership? (With Notre Dame being the exception)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Considering all the members of the B10 are in, it would appear so. But, it could be just a condition of a school signing with B10 that they have to join within a certain time frame.

You all might roll your eyes and mock or laugh at me right now for this, but remember this prediction, and give me credit when I'm right. In addition to Nebraska, the Big Ten will add Notre Dame and Rutgers.

Go ahead, laugh now. Nebraska's pretty much a given, and its decision to walk away from the Big XII began a "seismic shift" in the college landscape that Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said back in March would be a reason for ND to switch conferences. And Rutgers adds the New York market that the BTN would desperately love to tap into.

Yeah, maybe it doesn't mean anything. It seems as if all the names being mentioned, Nebraska(sounds like a done deal), Missouri, Syracuse, Rutgers, Texas, Texas A&M, Maryland are all on it. Notre Dame being the one that isn't, but in an article it said that their academics are definitely high enough. UConn has been mentioned on the board here, but recent reports don't seem to be mentioning them from what I've read. I didn't see them on the list. I see Boise State made a move into the Mountain West, leaving the Western Athletic Conference.

You all might roll your eyes and mock or laugh at me right now for this, but remember this prediction, and give me credit when I'm right. In addition to Nebraska, the Big Ten will add Notre Dame and Rutgers.

Go ahead, laugh now. Nebraska's pretty much a given, and its decision to walk away from the Big XII began a "seismic shift" in the college landscape that Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said back in March would be a reason for ND to switch conferences. And Rutgers adds the New York market that the BTN would desperately love to tap into.

I have no inside knowledge on this subject, but this is far from a wild a** guess.

Put a time on your Notre Dame prediction.

It seems as though ND's interest in B10 membership isn't nearly as far-fetched as many people are expecting. They have considered joining the B10 in the past and there are several benefits to joining the CIC for ND- especially academic and research interests for the school. The decision, however, to join the B10 and CIC would allow them to be a shoe-in for membership to the AAU. Historically, it appears that many of the B10 schools (Purdue, Penn St, Mich St) didn't join the AAU until the mid 1950's, whereas most other schools in the B10 joined in the early 1900's. The only weird part of having ND in the B10, CIC, and AAU is that they would be the only school with a religious background, which might be frowned upon from the academic and research perspective - if not a deal breaker when being considered for membership.

Wow, what a bold prediction! Rutgers and Notre Dame have hardly been mentioned as Big 10 candidates at all.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom