Nebraska Spring Game

I'm guessing Husker fans aren't splitting their entertainment dollars among the Twins, Wild, Vikings, MN United, T-wolves, etc. if you even want to keep it just to sports.
They also have a lot smaller population. Even with the other sports options here, with the much larger population in MN they should still be able to easily fill the much smaller Huntington Bank stadium and they still struggle to sell it out. MN sports fans are simply fair weather fans.

Couple of times, once for a game. Game day atmosphere and experience are big reasons Nebraska has recruited well for many decades.
Bags of cash and guaranteed grades didn’t hurt.

this might sound like sacrilege, but nebraska has quietly become at least equal with wisconsin and iowa as a Gopher football rival, and might have surpassed them

If you use how much GH cares as a guide
Um, no. Not even close.

They also have a lot smaller population. Even with the other sports options here, with the much larger population in MN they should still be able to easily fill the much smaller Huntington Bank stadium and they still struggle to sell it out. MN sports fans are simply fair weather fans.
Twin Cities population is 2.5 times larger than Lincoln/Omaha, yet we have all 5 of the major pro sports and Nebraska has none. Of course they are going to have a larger following for their one major sport. Think of it this way - if you lump Gopher football into the pro sports, we have 6 options. Nebraska has 1. 6 times the major sports options yet only 2.5 times the population.

Um, no. Not even close.
Yeah I mentioned earlier I like Nebraska as a rival, but for me it's 1. Wisky, 2. Ia, then Nebraska. But there really isn't any "hate" for Nebraska.

Twin Cities population is 2.5 times larger than Lincoln/Omaha, yet we have all 5 of the major pro sports and Nebraska has none. Of course they are going to have a larger following for their one major sport. Think of it this way - if you lump Gopher football into the pro sports, we have 6 options. Nebraska has 1. 6 times the major sports options yet only 2.5 times the population.
Why would you only compare the Twin Cities population, and did you also factor in a stadium that only needs 55K to fill it, which is rarely done. Also all those sports options of Minnesota aren’t occurring simultaneously. Minnesota should easily be able to fill a 55K seat stadium much more often than they do if they weren’t so fair weather. Also Creighton basketball consistently has some of the top attendance in the country as well for comparison(average more per game than timberwolves)

Last edited:

Why would you only compare the Twin Cities population, and did you also factor in a stadium that only needs 55K to fill it, which is rarely done. Also all those sports options of Minnesota aren’t occurring simultaneously. The state should easily be able to fill a 55K seat stadium much more often than they do if they weren’t so fair weather. Also Creighton basketball consistently has some of the top attendance in the country as well for comparison.
Good grief. All those sports options cost money. I love Gopher football and have had ST for many years, but know in reality it is the 4th or 5th sports dollar option behind the Vikings, Twins, Wild, and T'wolves. Anyone who has lived here for any amount of time knows this.

Good grief. All those sports options cost money. I love Gopher football and have had ST for many years, but know in reality it is the 4th or 5th sports dollar option behind the Vikings, Twins, Wild, and T'wolves. Anyone who has lived here for any amount of time knows this.
In the entire state with this population it shouldn’t be hard to find 55K to fill the stadium regularly. That’s a tiny tiny percentage of the states population. It isn’t as if tons of fans are using their sports dollars on teams like the Twins or Timberwolves based on their attendance levels. The fair weather fans don’t need people making excuses for their poor support.

Last edited:

In the entire state with this population it shouldn’t be hard to find 55K to fill the stadium regularly. That’s a tiny tiny percentage of the states population. It isn’t as if tons of fans are using their sports dollars on teams like the Twins or Timberwolves based on their attendance levels

Wolves average almost 17k for 41 games. Twins averaged 22,500 for 80 games. Do the math.

the-point-over-your-head.gif

Except when Gopher basketball was the hottest ticket in town, Muss through Clem. Need a nod to Twins late seasons '87 and '91 too.

Wolves average almost 17k for 41 games. Twins averaged 22,500 for 80 games. Do the math.

View attachment 25229
Why are you trying so hard to defend/make excuses for fair weather fans? I’m sure PJ’s like holy crap we just need 55K to fill this place and help him with recruiting, ah never mind that’s too much to ask. It’s that lack of fan support that makes his job tougher.

Last edited:

Why are you trying so hard to defend/make excuses for fair weather fans? I’m sure PJ’s like holy crap we just need 55K to fill this place and help him with recruiting, ah never mind that’s too much to ask. It’s that lack of fan support that makes his job tougher.
I'm not. It's something called reality. I haven't been to a Wild, Wolves, or Vikings game in a good five years. As an alum, I make the choice to spend most my sports dollars on Gopher football and hockey. The rest goes to Twins and Saints.

All one has to do is measure the columns of ink the Vikings get over a year compared to the Gophers and compare the number of fans in the seats on Saturday compared to Sunday and you will get objective evidence of which team MN fans favor.
Green Bay filled their stadium for years before the Badgers filled theirs.
Two Rose Bowls later the Badger stadium is filled with a waiting list for season tickets and expanded.
Winning BIG counts.

In the entire state with this population it shouldn’t be hard to find 55K to fill the stadium regularly. That’s a tiny tiny percentage of the states population. It isn’t as if tons of fans are using their sports dollars on teams like the Twins or Timberwolves based on their attendance levels. The fair weather fans don’t need people making excuses for their poor support.
The population difference is about the same for state vs state and metro vs metro so that's a moot point. If you can't fathom why Nebraska has a larger fan base than us I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty simple.

I don't think that's how sports attendance works ... people's time and interests are not infinite.

Nobody is making excuses because excuses aren't needed.

People spend their time how they wish... not based on how you think they should.

I don't think that's how sports attendance works ... people's time and interests are not infinite.
I'm quite surprised NE sells out as much as they do, what with all the lakes, cabins, and weekend getaways spread throughout that area.

speaking of Spring Games, this should make Murray happy.

I heard that in the Wisconsin spring game, the hot-shot transfer QB they brought in - Tanner Mordecai - threw 4 INT's. for the day, the Badger defense was credited with 5 INT's and 10 sacks.
sounds like Fickell has some more work to do with the offense.

I saw the on field interview with Rhule before all the vestivilties, and it sounded like he's already drank the red Kool-aid and is captured by the mystique and legend of Husker football. Sure sign he is doomed. If this follows the pattern of his HC stints, he'll be gone in 2-3 years.

Yeah I mentioned earlier I like Nebraska as a rival, but for me it's 1. Wisky, 2. Ia, then Nebraska. But there really isn't any "hate" for Nebraska.
No Nebraska hate for me. Storied program, great fans who are also pretty decent folk (opposite of WI and IA). My Nebraska fascination was all about the pre-anointed god, Scott Frost, whom hubris and arrogance deservedly turned into a raging dumpster fire. My current interest in Nebraska is a carryover from Frost dislike. Watching how long it takes a decent coach like Rhule to dig out of the hole Frost buried the program in. Interest is purely academic now.

I'm quite surprised NE sells out as much as they do, what with all the lakes, cabins, and weekend getaways spread throughout that area.
They have gotten a bunch of corporate help with discounted tickets just to maintain the "Sellout Streak" in recent years. I remember reading that it happened for the 2018 Gophers game, which I attended, when Huskers started 0-6.

They have gotten a bunch of corporate help with discounted tickets just to maintain the "Sellout Streak" in recent years. I remember reading that it happened for the 2018 Gophers game, which I attended, when Huskers started 0-6.
If by corporate help, you mean Runza supplying their namesake sandos, count me in!

I have a hard time believing Thompson will be in the roster and not a ststtrr
Thompson is now in the transfer portal. I think we will see Sims as the NE starter in the opener. He supposedly can run, and he appears to pass well with a quick release. Rhule seems very high on him. Lot of unknowns going into next season.

Top Bottom