Nebraska Spring Game

It was played in a stadium and a band played. It had camera angles that were remindful of those you see in college football. Perhaps you didn’t catch that. Happy to clarify.

I seem to have touched a nerve for some people defensive of our little spring game.

Have fun with your "big spring game" when we beat them yet again this year.

I can see both sides of the discussion.

Yes, a Spring Game played outdoors in front of a fairly large crowd definitely does have more of the feel of an 'actual' game.

the unanswered question is this: if the weather had been nice and the Gopher game was held outdoors, how many people would have shown up? In previous years, the attendance at outdoor Gopher Spring Games has never been what you could call "large."

it's a cultural thing - the culture of Nebraska football traditionally includes bigger crowds at the Spring Game. And they have a new head coach, which I think would increase curiosity about what the team will look like.

bottom line - last year Nebraska reported average attendance at home games of just over 86,000. Minnesota reported average attendance of just over 45,000.

Nebraska football has more fans than Minnesota football. Their team may suck, but their fans show up.

I’ll give them this… their spring game actually looks like a football game. It is much more interesting to watch than our small time backwoods indoor game.

Perhaps the Gophers are good enough to beat Nebraska by 4 touchdowns. In the end that is what matters most, of course.

But our annual indoor “spring game” played in front of dozens is a joke.

I nearly always miss the spring game due to cabin opening or early season cabin chores. But this year I’m in town and would have gone.
Sorry they disappointed you. SMH.

Why are people always so obsessed with the attendance at a spring game, who cares how you watch a glorified practice. At the end of the day no one cares where/how its played in a months time. All it is is gauge for coaches to see how they're players are performing
Schools that have good attendance at spring games and regular games for use it as a recruiting adrvantage and it gets recruits attention. Gophers don’t have fan support so clearly they aren’t going to showcase to recruits an empty stadium. PJ might be able to recruit better and get over the hump if they didn’t have such lackluster support and game day environments.

Last edited:

Meh, I saw some bad throws and a bunch of dropped passes. Offense looked pretty shaky to me.
I just meant six QB scholarships is a waste of scholarships. Shows that Rhule has no clear idea yet of who will/ Should start.

Nebraska looked awful in the offensive side of the ball. How many left injured too? GBR has to be shaking their heads.

I can see both sides of the discussion.

Yes, a Spring Game played outdoors in front of a fairly large crowd definitely does have more of the feel of an 'actual' game.

the unanswered question is this: if the weather had been nice and the Gopher game was held outdoors, how many people would have shown up? In previous years, the attendance at outdoor Gopher Spring Games has never been what you could call "large."

it's a cultural thing - the culture of Nebraska football traditionally includes bigger crowds at the Spring Game. And they have a new head coach, which I think would increase curiosity about what the team will look like.

bottom line - last year Nebraska reported average attendance at home games of just over 86,000. Minnesota reported average attendance of just over 45,000.

Nebraska football has more fans than Minnesota football. Their team may suck, but their fans show up.
Location is a huge factor as well. If you are a sports fan in Lincoln Nebraska your options are pretty limited.

this might sound like sacrilege, but nebraska has quietly become at least equal with wisconsin and iowa as a Gopher football rival, and might have surpassed them

If you use how much GH cares as a guide

The Spring event at all schools is for the most part meaningless if there are no serious injuries.
There is always the occasional player deep in the depth chart who shines.
The games are PR to give the fans a taste of what is to come, and an informal way to see the players, kids get autographs, etc.
PJ does not think that is important and neither did Chryst.

Location is a huge factor as well. If you are a sports fan in Lincoln Nebraska your options are pretty limited.
If you're a sports fan in Lincoln there is one option even if you dropped six pro franchises, a couple of orchestras, and a museum on the town. Nothing matters except Husker football.

It is also laughable to suggest football recruits might come to Minnesota because "of all the things to do". They come for the football program.

this might sound like sacrilege, but nebraska has quietly become at least equal with wisconsin and iowa as a Gopher football rival, and might have surpassed them

“cares”

Mike and Scott just made it easier to make fun of them.

“cares”

Mike and Scott just made it easier to make fun of them.
that's true. there's a certain "my old boss is begging for change next to the gate of my elite country club municipal golf course" about it

I like Nebraska as a rival. They are a nice contrast to the fan bases of Ia and Wi. They are a relatively easy drive for road games and their fans are welcoming.

It is also laughable to suggest football recruits might come to Minnesota because "of all the things to do". They come for the football program.
It isn’t like college football fans in larger cities are intellectual elites that are routinely trying to decide between attending the symphony and a college sporting event. Most are middle class beer drinking guys with the same interests as those in smaller college towns.

It isn’t like college football fans in larger cities are intellectual elites that are routinely trying to decide between attending the symphony and a college sporting event. Most are middle class beer drinking guys with the same interests as those in smaller college towns.
True in general. The pseudo elites who sneer about "nothing to do" in college towns seem to congregate here.

If you're a sports fan in Lincoln there is one option even if you dropped six pro franchises, a couple of orchestras, and a museum on the town. Nothing matters except Husker football.

To the first part....nothing matters except Husker football because that is the ONLY option people out there have ever had for bigtime sports. I'm not knocking it, it is just reality. Combine being the only game in town with a high level of success and you are going to build something very popular.

To the second part....Just like when a regular student picks a college the location is a factor most of the time. Some people want a bigger school in a busier area while others like a smaller school in a college town. So Minneapolis is absolutely going to appeal to some recruits. Obviously "all the things to do" won't be the driving force for why a player commits, that will be driven by the program, but I guarantee that for some those options are definitely a factor in their decision.

True in general. The pseudo elites who sneer about "nothing to do" in college towns seem to congregate here.
Who said there is nothing to do in a college town? There is lots to do in any college town. But if you live in Nebraska and you like football your options are pretty limited if you want to see it played at the major college level.

Speak for yourself.

There are dudes with smrts among the homunculi. 🧐🎩

“Warmer today.”

“Yup.”

“Gonna be warmer tomorrow.”

“Yup.”
King-of-the-Hill-1-e1675177939714.jpg

I'm guessing Husker fans aren't splitting their entertainment dollars among the Twins, Wild, Vikings, MN United, T-wolves, etc. if you even want to keep it just to sports.

Who said there is nothing to do in a college town? There is lots to do in any college town. But if you live in Nebraska and you like football your options are pretty limited if you want to see it played at the major college level.
If you live in Nebraska you don't want any options for seeing major college football.

I'm guessing Husker fans aren't splitting their entertainment dollars among the Twins, Wild, Vikings, MN United, T-wolves, etc. if you even want to keep it just to sports.
Exactly right and happy not to.

But you understand why they have more fan interest in their football program, correct?
Of course, very obvious. I also understand that is valuable to recruiting.

Top Bottom