Nebraska opens as 10 point favorites over Minnesota

I have bad dreams of MSM and Rush chasing Martinez. Gophers will be rusty and probably shorthanded.
Martinez?? No that's their thrower.

Ed McCaffery's 4th son is their runner. Yeah, no chance MSM, Rush, or Aune are going to tackle him.

There’s going to be a lot of guys out.
Gophers lose by 20

local media will bash last year as a fluke

people will want o coordinator gone

It is too easy to predict
Bolded - I'll say that now, before the game is even played.

There’s going to be a lot of guys out.
Gophers lose by 20

local media will bash last year as a fluke

people will want o coordinator gone

It is too easy to predict

So... you're making three predictions here, and all three are based on the Gophers losing "by 20".
A question for you: What happens if the Gophers win?

So... you're making three predictions here, and all three are based on the Gophers losing "by 20".
A question for you: What happens if the Gophers win?
No idea:
Probably something about how the gophers overcame great odds to finish .500

Ed McCaffery's 4th son is their runner. Yeah, no chance MSM, Rush, or Aune are going to tackle him.

Both of them are very good runners and excellent passers. It could be very ugly.

Martinez has run as much as McCaffery.

No idea:
Probably something about how the gophers overcame great odds to finish .500

Well, you predict they'll lose by 20... so, yes; great odds, indeed. An upset of that magnitude would be quite an accomplishment. I would guess that 20-point underdogs actually winning has to be a pretty rare occurrence in B1G football.

Well, you predict they'll lose by 20... so, yes; great odds, indeed. A 20-point (your prediction) underdog staging an upset would be quite an accomplishment. I would guess that 20-point underdogs actually winning has to be a pretty rare occurrence in B1G football.
They aren’t 20 point underdogs. They are 10 point underdogs. I am saying I would take Nebraska -10.

I’m not sure what you are trying to say to me here.

are you agreeing with me about the headline?

They aren’t 20 point underdogs. They are 10 point underdogs. I am saying I would take Nebraska -10.

I’m not sure what you are trying to say to me here.

are you agreeing with me about the headline?

Yes, I'm aware the Gophers aren't 20 points underdogs anywhere — except in your imagination. You see the part I put in parens? 'Your prediction'.

Speaking of which, if you really believe the Gophers will lose by 20, can I assume you're eagerly taking the Huskers and laying the points — and for a tidy sum?

And that would be my point, by the way. Predictions are easy (and cheap). Putting your money down is an entirely different matter. Hope that clears up any confusion.

20 points, y'say?

line slid up to Neb -10.5 at FanDuel and some Vegas books, MGM has it -11

Yes, I'm aware the Gophers aren't 20 points underdogs anywhere — except in your imagination. You see the part I put in parens? 'Your prediction'.

Speaking of which, if you really believe the Gophers will lose by 20, can I assume you're eagerly taking the Huskers and laying the points — and for a tidy sum?

And that would be my point, by the way. Predictions are easy (and cheap). Putting your money down is an entirely different matter. Hope that clears up any confusion.

20 points, y'say?
Well I never sports gamble.
If I did sports gamble. I wouldn’t touch this game as I’ve said in another thread.

Minnesota has a lot of unknowns.
Nebraska is inconsistent.
Both teams could blow the other out.

not sure why you are so sensitive to me saying I think the gophers lose by multiple scores. My comment was more a critique of the local media than a condemnation of the football team.

Both of them are very good runners and excellent passers. It could be very ugly.
Luke McCaffrey throws a worse-looking ball than previous Nebraska quarterback Taylor Martinez, and he threw worse than my 12-year-old niece.

McCaffrey is a tremendous runner, however. That guy can move.

Well I never sports gamble.
If I did sports gamble. I wouldn’t touch this game as I’ve said in another thread.

Minnesota has a lot of unknowns.
Nebraska is inconsistent.
Both teams could blow the other out.

not sure why you are so sensitive to me saying I think the gophers lose by multiple scores. My comment was more a critique of the local media than a condemnation of the football team.

Apparently, I misunderstood when you predicted the Gophers would lose by 20. My bad, as the kids say.

I haven't heard the local media take... is Barreiro calling this game "loser proof" for the Gophers?

Speaking of predictions, the upcoming (hopefully!) game with Nebraska reminds my of how God-awful I am analyzing and predicting players' abilities.

I thought Adrian Martinez would be a star. Also thought Shea Patterson would accomplish big things at Michigan.:mad:

They need to balance out the Nebraska money coming in. Nebraska fans truly believe they are this close to a return to glory.
for me not to fade the Gophers i'd need it up to Min +14 or +14.5 personally (if the books didn't move the line i'd try to get that with a teaser then)

don't know money percentages on this game, usually don't see that until early Sat on my Twitter feed since Gopher games aren't big wagering games in general

Speaking of predictions, the upcoming (hopefully!) game with Nebraska reminds my of how God-awful I am analyzing and predicting players' abilities.

I thought Adrian Martinez would be a star. Also thought Shea Patterson would accomplish big things at Michigan.:mad:
Adrian Martinez still could be a Star
Shea Patterson never had the skill set to be more than a good game manager. Only could’ve achieved superstar status if he played at Alabama

Apparently, I misunderstood when you predicted the Gophers would lose by 20. My bad, as the kids say.

I haven't heard the local media take... is Barreiro calling this game "loser proof" for the Gophers?
I was saying “when the gophers lose by 20 because everyone is out...the media will treat it like the program is falling apart”

Must have said that poorly.

I do think gophers lose by multiple scores. Don’t think a bad defense gets better by not practicing for 2 weeks. But could just as easily see Nebraska playling like crap, Mo running for 200 and us winning 35-14 or something.

Really I have no idea what will happen and won’t judge the season based on the Nebraska game. And won’t judge the program based on 2020.

Adrian Martinez still could be a Star
Shea Patterson never had the skill set to be more than a good game manager. Only could’ve achieved superstar status if he played at Alabama

I'll take your word for it on Martinez.

I saw Patterson's highlights at Ole Miss, and thought he looked like Johnny Manziel. I assumed Harbaugh would be a perfect quarterback whisperer/coach for him.

Patterson wasn't a total bust, though...

He was signed by the Kansas City Chiefs as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He was drafted in the 2018 Major League Baseball draft by the Texas Rangers and they retain his rights until 2024.

Patterson was considered among the top 5 high school class of 2016 football prospects in the entire country. He earned the Pete Dawkins Trophy as a high school senior. Patterson began his college football career at the University of Mississippi(Ole Miss) before transferring to the University of Michigan. Among his collegiate highlights are the Ole Miss single-game passing yards record and the Michigan records for single-game (regulation) passing touchdowns, consecutive 300-yard passing games and consecutive 4-touchdown passing games. His senior season passing yardage total was second in school history. He was a two-time third-team All-Big Ten Conference selection.

I was saying “when the gophers lose by 20 because everyone is out...the media will treat it like the program is falling apart”

Must have said that poorly.

I do think gophers lose by multiple scores. Don’t think a bad defense gets better by not practicing for 2 weeks. But could just as easily see Nebraska playling like crap, Mo running for 200 and us winning 35-14 or something.

Really I have no idea what will happen and won’t judge the season based on the Nebraska game. And won’t judge the program based on 2020.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph.

Long ago, my Dad told me, "Never bet on sports. And if you do bet, never bet for or against your own team, because you'll be too emotionally involved to make rational judgements."

Patterson never looked as good with his feet as Manziel. He was an elite game manager at his college football ceiling. Only way you’re a superstar being an elite game manager is being a national title contender

Patterson was good. Never star potential IMO

With our sieve defense I am surprised we are only picked to lose by 10.

With our sieve defense I am surprised we are only picked to lose by 10.
Did you know that other programs also have issues? For instance Nebraska being 15-27 in their last 42?

So although the gophers have issues, there are other teams who have issues too.

kind of like how when the gophers were good last year. Not everything worked because other teams were trying to win too.

Last edited:

Patterson never looked as good with his feet as Manziel. He was an elite game manager at his college football ceiling. Only way you’re a superstar being an elite game manager is being a national title contender

Seems we disagree on Patterson, at least on how he looked coming out of Ole Miss.

Seems we disagree on Patterson, at least on how he looked coming out of Ole Miss.
I only watched a game or two of him at ole miss and it was probably a game of him against Alabama or something. He may have looked worse in the sample I saw than the whole resume.

I remember when he transferred to Michigan it solidified my view that they wouldn’t be able to beat Ohio state for a few years

Good, but not superstar potential in my opinion. Like a rich mans ricky stanzi.

Top Bottom