Nebraska game time

Not so long ago, the only options to this question were 11 am or 2:30.

I'm going to guess 4:10 pm, TV will be streaming live on Yahoo and the announcers will be Ian Eagle and Ian Ziering.

Not so long ago, the only options to this question were 11 am or 2:30.

I'm going to guess 4:10 pm, TV will be streaming live on Yahoo and the announcers will be Ian Eagle and Ian Ziering.

This post is from the future.

The only game scheduled that day so far is Rutgers at Penn State at 11:00 AM. Other games that day:

Indiana at Illinois
MI St at OSU
Michigan at Maryland
Iowa at Wisconsin
Purdue at NW

If there are prime time games that day (not sure what to expect for that), I'd assume Iowa at WI and/or MI St at OSU. But if they aren't, then I could see those being at 2:30 and 11:00 respectively so they don't compete with each other.

If MN wins at Iowa, the NE game becomes at least more appealing. IN at IL is a who cares game. MI at MD is probably a curb stomp waiting to happen. Purdue at NW is somewhere in between, maybe both. That could allow NE at MN to be 2:30 (or so, depending what times they come up with).

So I'll predict that they are 2:30 if MN wins Saturday and 11:00 if they don't.

All that said, I wouldn't bet money on anything. The Fox/FS1 deal has really muddied up the game time question. Not complaining, since it's providing more afternoon and evening options, just kind of unclear when/if games will air on those networks.

Do networks still have the option of waiting until the week of a game to announce the start time? Seems they had this option once or twice a year in the past.

I think we are due for one of the last two home games being 11 am, and I’m guessing this one.

The last week I think osu-mich already is scheduled for 11 (12 eastern), and with Wisc likely being in the CFP hunt and the axe at stake, I don’t think the networks will stick that one at 11.

It'll be a sad time. A time where a coach will be fired even if he wins 55-0 and the other coach will barely be criticized if he loses 55-0. A time to reflect on the career arcs of college football coaches. A time to show hope for the Gophers future no matter what the outcome of this particular afterthought game that matters to no one in particular.

Wisconsin will be 2:30. Remember Big Jim will protect Michigan-Ohio State at all costs, so they're in the 11 AM national slot. Assume Nebraska will be 11 AM.

Do networks still have the option of waiting until the week of a game to announce the start time? Seems they had this option once or twice a year in the past.

Not sure if that single "less than 12 days notice" still applies. Here's what I found:

Big Ten prime-time changes

Four years ago, the Big Ten’s media rights deals prevented November outdoor night games. In 2011, only 12 Big Ten games aired at night. This year, ABC/ESPN and FOX/FS1 will combine to show at least 15 prime-time games, with BTN broadcasting several more. The moratorium on November night outdoor football was lifted in 2014, and now teams can play night games through the regular-season finale.

Networks can flex games without a pre-announced time into any slot through the first weekend in November. That could include a noon, 3:30 p.m. or 8 p.m. ET kickoff. It’s a major change for fans who were used to night unveilings announced at least four months in advance.

“It’s new; it’s a challenge,” Rudner said. “But, ultimately, it has the support of the leadership of the conference. Listen, I think every other peer conference, every other FBS conference, has been doing prime-time selection on a 12-day pick. In fact, most, if not all, of the autonomy conferences allow for prime-time games on a six-day pick. We weren’t willing to go to six days. The 12-day pick exists only in Week No. 4 through Week No. 10.”

In the final three weeks of the season, teams can veto a potential night game with notice.

“If both institutions agree to allow that game to be played in prime time, they can be chosen in the 12-day selection process for prime time,” Rudner said. “But at any time up until that 12-day process, either one of those two institutions, for whatever reason, can take themselves off the watch list and that game is no longer available for prime time.”

Three years ago, Wisconsin and Minnesota met in a winner-take-all game that decided the West Division title. It aired at 3:30 p.m. ET. Now, if both schools agree, a network could select it for prime time.

“Why do we have those games on the watch lists? We want to capture the story of the conference race, the division races right up until the last moment,” Rudner said. “And if [Wisconsin] and Minnesota go into that game 8-0, then why wouldn’t we want that game in prime time with the winner going to the championship?”

Big Ten schedule changes with FOX

The Big Ten and FOX formed the Big Ten Network in 2007, with the league owning 51 percent and FOX owning 49 percent. FOX later gained controlling interest and picked up the standalone Big Ten football championship game in 2011.

The network long had its eye on Big Ten regular-season football and acquired first-tier rights this year for about $240 million per year, according to John Ourand of the SportsBusiness Journal. Ourand later reported ESPN kept up at $190 million per year.

The networks have a drafting process for the league’s games. FOX, ABC/ESPN and BTN each have first selection on different weeks. FOX will show the highly coveted Michigan-Ohio State finale this year.

“FOX has the No. 1 overall selection of all games for the season every year,” said Mike McComiskey, the Big Ten’s associate commissioner for technology who handles Big Ten football scheduling. “After that, it rotates through the top picks for a while through FOX and ESPN and then into BTN. They do a draft process in the spring where they now have each week of the season. They’re not actually picking games at that point, but they’re taking their slotted draft picks.

“There’s 95 games that fall under the Big Ten television contract this year, so they have one through 95 plotted out between the three networks. They’ve got the draft and they’ve drafted out each of those weeks as to who has the first, second, third and beyond picks of those weeks.”

Additionally, prime-time games can air concurrently on FOX and ABC/ESPN. So, for instance, when FOX broadcasts Notre Dame at Michigan State in prime time on Sept. 23, ABC or ESPN can show Penn State at Iowa at the same time.

can tv change the time of a big ten football game?

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/bi...-primetime-system-friday-changes-black-friday

Not sure if that single "less than 12 days notice" still applies. Here's what I found:

Big Ten prime-time changes

Four years ago, the Big Ten’s media rights deals prevented November outdoor night games. In 2011, only 12 Big Ten games aired at night. This year, ABC/ESPN and FOX/FS1 will combine to show at least 15 prime-time games, with BTN broadcasting several more. The moratorium on November night outdoor football was lifted in 2014, and now teams can play night games through the regular-season finale.

Networks can flex games without a pre-announced time into any slot through the first weekend in November. That could include a noon, 3:30 p.m. or 8 p.m. ET kickoff. It’s a major change for fans who were used to night unveilings announced at least four months in advance.

“It’s new; it’s a challenge,” Rudner said. “But, ultimately, it has the support of the leadership of the conference. Listen, I think every other peer conference, every other FBS conference, has been doing prime-time selection on a 12-day pick. In fact, most, if not all, of the autonomy conferences allow for prime-time games on a six-day pick. We weren’t willing to go to six days. The 12-day pick exists only in Week No. 4 through Week No. 10.”

In the final three weeks of the season, teams can veto a potential night game with notice.

“If both institutions agree to allow that game to be played in prime time, they can be chosen in the 12-day selection process for prime time,” Rudner said. “But at any time up until that 12-day process, either one of those two institutions, for whatever reason, can take themselves off the watch list and that game is no longer available for prime time.”

Three years ago, Wisconsin and Minnesota met in a winner-take-all game that decided the West Division title. It aired at 3:30 p.m. ET. Now, if both schools agree, a network could select it for prime time.

“Why do we have those games on the watch lists? We want to capture the story of the conference race, the division races right up until the last moment,” Rudner said. “And if [Wisconsin] and Minnesota go into that game 8-0, then why wouldn’t we want that game in prime time with the winner going to the championship?”

Big Ten schedule changes with FOX

The Big Ten and FOX formed the Big Ten Network in 2007, with the league owning 51 percent and FOX owning 49 percent. FOX later gained controlling interest and picked up the standalone Big Ten football championship game in 2011.

The network long had its eye on Big Ten regular-season football and acquired first-tier rights this year for about $240 million per year, according to John Ourand of the SportsBusiness Journal. Ourand later reported ESPN kept up at $190 million per year.

The networks have a drafting process for the league’s games. FOX, ABC/ESPN and BTN each have first selection on different weeks. FOX will show the highly coveted Michigan-Ohio State finale this year.

“FOX has the No. 1 overall selection of all games for the season every year,” said Mike McComiskey, the Big Ten’s associate commissioner for technology who handles Big Ten football scheduling. “After that, it rotates through the top picks for a while through FOX and ESPN and then into BTN. They do a draft process in the spring where they now have each week of the season. They’re not actually picking games at that point, but they’re taking their slotted draft picks.

“There’s 95 games that fall under the Big Ten television contract this year, so they have one through 95 plotted out between the three networks. They’ve got the draft and they’ve drafted out each of those weeks as to who has the first, second, third and beyond picks of those weeks.”

Additionally, prime-time games can air concurrently on FOX and ABC/ESPN. So, for instance, when FOX broadcasts Notre Dame at Michigan State in prime time on Sept. 23, ABC or ESPN can show Penn State at Iowa at the same time.

can tv change the time of a big ten football game?

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/bi...-primetime-system-friday-changes-black-friday

I wasn't aware of this. Hopefully Fox doesn't screw the pooch with BTN via personnel and content changes. Their decision to let Jamie Horowitz run their Fox sports website resulted in an 88% drop in visits (as of mid- September) after they fired writers and went to video only.

So... today is the last day the networks have to make a decision, right?
Seems like kickoff times are usually announced for 12 days out by this time on Mondays.

So... today is the last day the networks have to make a decision, right?
Seems like kickoff times are usually announced for 12 days out by this time on Mondays.

Yes, we should know within the hour.

It's official:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At least we'll maybe get to hear that announcer praise The Rouser so many times again!

Now the only question is will we be on sunny side or shady side?

Top Bottom