Nebraska Basketball

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
The football-centric expansion process seems a bit rough on our Big X basketball league. Nebraska is another Iowa in terms of bball, right? When is the last time they were in the NCAA tourney (let alone the NIT)? Anyone know?

As a basketball fan, I'd very much like to see Syracuse and/or Uconn considered. Both are great basketball programs and could occasionally have solid football programs too (heck, Uconn beat Notre Dame last year in football). Here's to hoping every expansion school is not just about football....

Huskers hoops

6 NCAA appearances, last one in 1998.

Had a nice run (under Danny Nee?) with 4 straight NCAAs from 1991-94.

Have never won a NCAA Tournament game.

Speaking as a hoops fan first, add any combination of Pitt/Syracuse/UConn to Big Ten hoops & I'll be a happy camper.

I'd add Pitt to the list. Maybe not quite up to the prestige of 'Cuse and UCONN in bball but close, certainly strengthing the Big 10 in bball. Solid football program as well, and Penn st. would finally have a rival.

The in-state talent sucks. Eliason is one of the few high D1 prospects from the past 10 years.

Construction begins very soon on a new downtown arena located adjacent to campus and Memorial Stadium. That could provide a recruiting boost that could help them become more competitive.

742a312a-b45d-11de-8867-001cc4c002e0.image.jpg

The football-centric expansion process seems a bit rough on our Big X basketball league. Nebraska is another Iowa in terms of bball, right? When is the last time they were in the NCAA tourney (let alone the NIT)? Anyone know?

As a basketball fan, I'd very much like to see Syracuse and/or Uconn considered. Both are great basketball programs and could occasionally have solid football programs too (heck, Uconn beat Notre Dame last year in football). Here's to hoping every expansion school is not just about football....

Doc Sadler is Nebraska coach - very promising. He succeeded Gillispie at UTEP and did OK there.

I'd think Iowa > Nebraska in terms of basketball (talent, tradition, etc).

No doubt Iowa is historically better than Nebraska basketball-wise. Nebraska is more comparable to PSU.

I don't see any reason to sugarcoat Sadler's performance at Nebraska - they haven't made the NCAA tourney under his watch and he's had four years already, and they finished last in the Big 12 last year. The year before last they went to the NIT but featured the shortest starting lineup in college basketball.

The in-state talent sucks. Eliason is one of the few high D1 prospects from the past 10 years.

Construction begins very soon on a new downtown arena located adjacent to campus and Memorial Stadium. That could provide a recruiting boost that could help them become more competitive.

Didn't work for Gopher football

"Didn't work for Gopher football."

With all due respect, and I'm pretty much neutral on Brew, you've already determined it hasn't worked for Minnesota after just one year in the new stadium? That's not being very fair.

His latest class, which was the first to see the brand-new stadium, was ranked 9-11 in the conference.

It's called Nebrasketball. No one in Lincoln cares. It's just something to pass the time between football season and Spring Football.

His latest class, which was the first to see the brand-new stadium, was ranked 9-11 in the conference.

Here we go, on the "other Gopher Sports Board" you posted "Gopher baseball sucks". You constantly take shots at the basketball team. Now you've completed your trifecta. Congrats!

Here we go, on the "other Gopher Sports Board" you posted "Gopher baseball sucks". You constantly take shots at the basketball team. Now you've completed your trifecta. Congrats!

Big Gopher Fan, I'm out of line. My apologies. No need for me to post that.

Big Gopher Fan, I'm out of line. My apologies. No need for me to post that.

Balderdash. He is a huge tool, in that he persists in maintaining the façade of being a "Big Gopher Fan" while he is nothing more than a self-loathing poser who gets his jollies off finding the worst in everything. We have enough idiots from Wis and Iowa who post here, we don't need one of our own (allegedly) being even worse than they are. This idiot deserves at least a half-dozen posts mocking and ridiculing him for each one that he posts. You and I are helping to meet that quota.

STH can now look forward to Nebraska replacing one of Michigan St./Ohio St./Purdue on the home schedule. Good times. I wonder if Tubby will consider the addition of Nebraska on the 2011-12 home schedule a marquee non-conference game?:clap:

Balderdash. He is a huge tool, in that he persists in maintaining the façade of being a "Big Gopher Fan" while he is nothing more than a self-loathing poser who gets his jollies off finding the worst in everything. We have enough idiots from Wis and Iowa who post here, we don't need one of our own (allegedly) being even worse than they are. This idiot deserves at least a half-dozen posts mocking and ridiculing him for each one that he posts. You and I are helping to meet that quota.

Thanks buddy.
Honestly, let's not pretend like you know me at all, because you don't. I have NEVER taken a shot at you...ever. So what was this all about? This was 100 percent uncalled for. I don't know why you take it so personally when I write something on here that you don't agree with. I love Gopher basketball and will start watching the football team again when they get a new coach. Have you been at the football board lately? You would be very disappointed...there are dozens and dozens of people taking shots at the program. Why not go after them?
I will never deny that some of the things I write on here are less than flattering about the basketball and football programs, but even you have probably been unhappy at some point with Minnesota athletics. That's just how it goes sometimes.
BTW, I have said plenty of positive and constructive things about the basketball team as well.

Kind of looks like a nuclear powerplant.

Have we already forgotten the incredible Rich King era when the Huskers were the most dominanting team in all of Lincoln, Nebraska?

Thanks buddy.
Honestly, let's not pretend like you know me at all, because you don't. I have NEVER taken a shot at you...ever. So what was this all about? This was 100 percent uncalled for. I don't know why you take it so personally when I write something on here that you don't agree with. I love Gopher basketball and will start watching the football team again when they get a new coach. Have you been at the football board lately? You would be very disappointed...there are dozens and dozens of people taking shots at the program. Why not go after them?
I will never deny that some of the things I write on here are less than flattering about the basketball and football programs, but even you have probably been unhappy at some point with Minnesota athletics. That's just how it goes sometimes.
BTW, I have said plenty of positive and constructive things about the basketball team as well.

You start a Gopher baseball thread about how much they suck....then disappear when they win the Big Ten championship....continue to disappear when they win the Big Ten tournament....continue to disappear when they get one win away from the super regional. Yep...a big "Gopher" fan.

You have got to be kidding right? Brewsters latest class has been ranked as high as 6th in the Big Ten in a few recruiting services. Uniformed posters bug the crap out of me. Please, take a half hour and actually go in and take a look at the kids he recruited this past season. First, look at the size of some of these kids. Second, take a look at their offer list. Then take it over to the football board.

Thanks buddy.

None of us know you. But when you throw out stupid posts just looking for a reaction, you will be called out. Like I said above, I don't need a recruiting service to tell me that Brew brought in some nice kids in this latest class. If you actually took the time to look at kids like Jimmy Gjere and Lamonte Edwards you would know this. But I bet thats too much work for you to do on your own.

Nebraska basketball is awful. Always has been. Sadler is a popular guy among other college coaches but he hasn't been successful with the corn and I don't see that changing. As a whole the Big Ten got better with the addition of Nebraska but got worse in basketball. The only Big XII basketball program that was as big of a wasteland as Nebraska was Colorado and they just took their talent to the west coast.

Nebraska basketball is awful. Always has been. Sadler is a popular guy among other college coaches but he hasn't been successful with the corn and I don't see that changing. As a whole the Big Ten got better with the addition of Nebraska but got worse in basketball. The only Big XII basketball program that was as big of a wasteland as Nebraska was Colorado and they just took their talent to the west coast.

I don't think they're anything close to a "good" basketball program, but they're usually not "awful" and haven't always been bad. They won 17 games in Sadler's first year (RPI 106), then 20 (RPI 95) and then 18 (RPI 75) his third year - there are only four programs in the Big Ten that always won more games in each of those respective years (MSU, PU, OSU and UW) - yes, they took a step back and only won 15 this past season (RPI 148), but they weren't an "awful" 10- or 11-win team like the Big Ten had last year with Iowa, PSU and IU. I looked up and down their schedules over the past several years, and I'd say they average close to one win over a team that was ranked when they played every year. So while they don't usually do great, they made two NITs in Sadler's first 3 years, and bottom tier Big Ten teams don't usually make the NIT. So if Sadler maintains at least an NIT level consistently, then they'll be a decent bottom half team. They're not going to raise the level of play in the league, but if they do what they typically did under Sadler, they will be a solid bottom half team.

If you take away the name and just look at the RPI over the last 4 years - 106, 95, 75 and then 148, then you have a program that doesn't look quite as bad as their tradition (or lack thereof) would suggest. Mediocre, but not awful. Let's not pretend like the bottom teams in the Big Ten are great every year.

Top Bottom