NCCA looking at faking of injuries

With an up tempo offense snapping the ball so quickly, more than likely the defense is going to either be playing with 10 guys or will get called for 12 men on the field as the injured guy either won't be able to get off the field in time or the replacement won't have time to get to his position.

Maybe the rule should be the umpire stands over the ball until the injured guy can get off the field on his own and a replacement can get on the field, like they do when an offense substitutes OR if the player can't get off the field and the clock is stopped that player now has to sit out the rest of the possession. Same rule should apply to an offensive player as well.
Yeah that’s the easiest solution that doesn’t make you look like you don’t care about player safety.

Yeah that’s the easiest solution that doesn’t make you look like you don’t care about player safety.
The problem with holding a guy out for longer than just one snap is now you are asking the refs to check and make sure a player who went out injured doesn't come back to soon.

My guess is they will put in some kind of "flop" rule. Give teams a warning if the ref suspects something fishy is going on and if it happens again then hit them with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I mean the only way they can really enforce something like this is by going after the super obvious cases where a team is clearly trying to game the system. Outside of that, you can't punish a team for a player getting dinged on a play that leads to a stoppage (cramps, wind knocked out....) just because that player is fine shortly after and able to return to the game. The simple fact they are fine quickly doesn't mean they were faking the injury when it happened.

The problem with holding a guy out for longer than just one snap is now you are asking the refs to check and make sure a player who went out injured doesn't come back to soon.

My guess is they will put in some kind of "flop" rule. Give teams a warning if the ref suspects something fishy is going on and if it happens again then hit them with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

I mean the only way they can really enforce something like this is by going after the super obvious cases where a team is clearly trying to game the system. Outside of that, you can't punish a team for a player getting dinged on a play that leads to a stoppage (cramps, wind knocked out....) just because that player is fine shortly after and able to return to the game. The simple fact they are fine quickly doesn't mean they were faking the injury when it happened.
Yeah. But if you said out until the next change of possession you could make the penalty so steep for going in early that no one would try. Go in early, ejection. Opposing coaches would watch for it and help the refs out if they didn’t see it.

I don’t think penalty is any easier. Often times the ref doesn’t see them go down, so you’re basically ask them in a lot of cases to blindly decide if injury is real or fake. Also, if I have a guy who is injured but could run off the field…I want him going down…and I think that’s okay and good. But if they can run off the field it looks like they are faking. I get poked in the eye and I need to come out for a few plays. I’m running off the field and I go down so we can get a sub without getting caught between plays…now I get a 15 yard penalty because I just went from jogging to down on the ground? A fairer and easier “penalty” would be to not try to make a judgement call and just make it clear cut. You stop play, you’re out until a change of possession. Easiest for officials IMO

Yeah. But if you said out until the next change of possession you could make the penalty so steep for going in early that no one would try. Go in early, ejection. Opposing coaches would watch for it and help the refs out if they didn’t see it.

I don’t think penalty is any easier. Often times the ref doesn’t see them go down, so you’re basically ask them in a lot of cases to blindly decide if injury is real or fake. Also, if I have a guy who is injured but could run off the field…I want him going down…and I think that’s okay and good. But if they can run off the field it looks like they are faking. I get poked in the eye and I need to come out for a few plays. I’m running off the field and I go down so we can get a sub without getting caught between plays…now I get a 15 yard penalty because I just went from jogging to down on the ground? A fairer and easier “penalty” would be to not try to make a judgement call and just make it clear cut. You stop play, you’re out until a change of possession. Easiest for officials IMO
Any sort of rule change will cause headaches. And I still wonder just how massive of a problem this really is and if it is something that even warrants a rule change of any kind to address.

Guess we will see what happens. Change of possession could certainly work but I still come back to things like cramps, stinger..... Pretty harsh to make a guy sit for a whole drive for something temporary that happens in football. And if that would happen to be a key player it could have big implications on the game.

Need a penalty box like hockey.

Any sort of rule change will cause headaches. And I still wonder just how massive of a problem this really is and if it is something that even warrants a rule change of any kind to address.

Guess we will see what happens. Change of possession could certainly work but I still come back to things like cramps, stinger..... Pretty harsh to make a guy sit for a whole drive for something temporary that happens in football. And if that would happen to be a key player it could have big implications on the game.
Yeah. I think that’s harder to police than just they can’t come in until the next change of possession but that’s what I’m trying to get towards. A half is way too long IMO.
Not too long for a fake injury…too long for the unintended consequences of the rule

I thinks it’s gotten so out of hand and coached now that may as well allow defenses to substitute at will, or issue more timeouts. It’s ridiculous. Unearned timeouts and disruption of offensive momentum also has implications.

We typically see the flopping later in halves of games so sure, maybe the rest of the quarter would be acceptable. That would typically take us to the end of the second or fourth quarter. Otherwise you’re just encouraging cheating. That, or change the rules of the game. A frustrated poster once called me one of those “law and order types” and I guess that’s true.

I thinks it’s gotten so out of hand and coached now that may as well allow defenses to substitute at will, or issue more timeouts. It’s ridiculous. Unearned timeouts and disruption of offensive momentum also has implications.

We typically see the flopping later in halves of games so sure, maybe the rest of the quarter would be acceptable. That would typically take us to the end of the second or fourth quarter. Otherwise you’re just encouraging cheating. That, or change the rules of the game. A frustrated poster once called me one of those “law and order types” and I guess that’s true.
I guess. And maybe if a guy gets his hind knocked out he shouldn’t be able to come back if he has to stop play.

I mean when we were winning national championships everyone played both ways and if you came out you were out

Georgia did this a few times versus Alabama. The “injured” players were back and full speed within a few minutes. Pretty obvious, pretty blatant. Clutching at ankles, etc.

The rule should be if they are injured enough to call a stoppage in play, ie so injured they are unable to ambulate themselves to the sideline within 30-40 seconds, they’re done for the half. Truly injured players shouldn’t be going back out and aggravating problems anyway.
Great idea. Stop play for injury. have to sit out the rest of the half. Doesn’t carry over to next game however.

In the great scheme of things, this issue is a tempest in tea pot compared to TA&M donors open wallets for NIL goodies for their incoming recruits.

I guess. And maybe if a guy gets his hind knocked out he shouldn’t be able to come back if he has to stop play.

I mean when we were winning national championships everyone played both ways and if you came out you were out
And that is the way it is in baseball.

Top Bottom