NCAA Tournament 2022-23

Caitlin Clark has 584,000 Instagram followers.

Angel Reese has 1.2 million followers, much of that in the last week. In total across platforms Reese has 2 million followers.

A big market exists for Reese that crosses several aspects of sports, society, and politics.

Clark too but more for being a basketball phenom.

Last edited:

Have you watched many WBNA games ? I ask because the officials are about the same quality we saw @ the FF= not good. This results in the usual drama queens like Taurasi, Parker n others reacting to every whistle. Overall, because there are only 144 players the quality is excellent and they don’t spend much energy taunting each other.
I have watched a lot of WNBA and college games, Taurasi and the like. I agree with you. After reading a gazillion different viewpoints after this NC game, I’ve concluded for myself that taunting and whining are present more or less to some degree in all games at all levels and everyone has a different take for a different reason. I value good sportsmanship so when I don’t see it, I reacted with my initial comment. I hope the officiating improves for women basketball along with excellent play and overall good sportsmanship. Women’s basketball is going in the right direction with viewership etc. I don’t want to see a good game become overshadowed by a big press on who taunted what to whom. May be Pollyanna wishful thinking.

Patrick Reusse's Tweet is inaccurate about Reese's marketability. He probably should have researched the numbers and market facts better.

From article: "“I think at this point, she’s got the following to back it up where she can be doing long-term partnerships that truly align with her brand and her messaging, and finding those brands that align with that as well..... LSU chief brand officer Cody Worsham shared Monday that Reese has been mentioned 500,000 times on Twitter in the last four days." [This was before the Twitter explosion that was much higher].

Branding is where a product or service has certain intangible attributes that appeal to people who want to pay for those attributes. Branding is a key component of marketing and selling.

Not all customers want the same things or same brands. Sellers will try to match products and services to customers for what they want.

A good brand leads people to buy it to have it.

A great brand appeals to people's identity. They buy it because it speaks to who they are.

Angel Reese made this statement. That sounds to me like her declaration of what her brand is that will resonate with a certain market:

1680747849475.png

A lot of people will identify with that.

Her statement may have been a spontaneous expression or it may have been thoughtfully put together ahead of time to make sure it sounds right.

No, I am not saying she is being phony to makes sales. I am saying that her authentic brand appeals to a certain market and that also doing some extra planning helps to make sure the communication is ideal. She is who she is. How can she best get her message out.

The reality is that Angel Reese has brand advisors. Many successful people in the spotlight have brand advisors.

Politicians do branding all the time to appeal to voters. People who are selling themselves as brands use imaging to appeal to buyers.

NIL = name, image, likeness.

Click this link and see what I mean:

Finally, I want to make clear I am not saying anyone is being phony. Just the opposite. It's finding who will appeal to your brand and getting the message to them as best as you can. It's pairing brand to customers. It's a success when people like what you are about. It's an even better success when people personally resonate with you.

Angel Reese responding to Jill Biden invitation to Iowa and LSU: “I don’t accept the apology because you said what you said … You can’t go back on certain things that you say … They can have that spotlight,” said Reese. “We’ll go to the Obamas. We’ll go see Michelle. We’ll see Barack.”

So an apology isn't good enough for her. Did the Obamas even invite them? Wouldn't think the Obamas would do that. Is Reese speaking for the team? What does Mulkey say?

If I was Barack I wouldn’t touch this with a ten foot pole. First of all completely different than the aforementioned Trump situation in that he would have to do it to the Bidens, not only political comrades, but close friends. Jill likely made an innocent feel good invitation in the spur of the moment. I have no doubt Reese has had some tough times, Baltimore ain’t Edina. But she is coming off as a bitter young woman. While her histrionics may play to her base, she isn’t really doing herself any favors. I watched that game hoping Iowa would lose, and were glad they did. Given a redo, I wouldn’t go that route again!

If I was Barack I wouldn’t touch this with a ten foot pole. First of all completely different than the aforementioned Trump situation in that he would have to do it to the Bidens, not only political comrades, but close friends. Jill likely made an innocent feel good invitation in the spur of the moment. I have no doubt Reese has had some tough times, Baltimore ain’t Edina. But she is coming off as a bitter young woman. While her histrionics may play to her base, she isn’t really doing herself any favors. I watched that game hoping Iowa would lose, and were glad they did. Given a redo, I wouldn’t go that route again!
Spot on.

Clark is far better for brands that want to create a clean, polished, professional ad campaign

Yeah, now Reese is working real hard to create more controversy and they won ! Dr. Biden definitely should not have mentioned bringing both teams but Reese also does not speak for the entire team. I saw Mulkey was on record saying they would be going to the WH.
Yes, and Ms Reese made sure SHE was the victim. More and more victim.

If you want to see divisive, look no further than this young lady.

Exactly. When the press and victims promote diviseness, it’s not possible to move towards equality and seeing women as athletes…not black or white.

Some Elite 8 Losses and Reloads

Iowa
lost star center Monika Czinano (from Minnesota) to the WNBA draft but otherwise returns the core team that includes superstar Caitlin Clark -- and may actually slightly improve if emerging Stanford center Lauren Betts signs and continues to improve. With Clark, Iowa projects to be a top team regardless. Iowa stands out for having little transfer portal churning out and in.

The Minnesota-Iowa game in Minneapolis this next season should attract a sell-out attendance.

1681567536083.png

South Carolina lost five players to the WNBA draft, including superstar Aliyah Boston, Laeticia Amihere, Zia Cooke and Brea Beal. Despite that, South Carolina again projects to be one of the Elite 8 teams in the country, being elite at recruiting. Indeed, South Carolina's backups last season could field a strong team.

1681566879250.png

LSU lost LaDazhia Williams and Alexis Morris in the second round of the WNBA draft, but LSU should remain one of the best teams. LSU has an incredible recruiting class coming in. LSU was able to attract many transfer players last season and an expensive elite coach. LSU outperformed expectations last season and probably projects to be a Final Four team this season.

Virginia Tech lost Kayana Traylor to the WNBA but the core team returns including repeat ACC Player of the Year Elizabeth Kitley. I don't have a good read on Virginia Tech other than "the new kid on the block" and well-coached.

1681573221806.png

Like South Carolina, Maryland was hit significantly with departures when Diamond Miller (Lynx) and Abby Meyers were drafted in the first round of the WNBA draft. Maryland also lost promising freshman Gia Cooke to the transfer portal. Turnover of talent appears to be a big factor with Maryland as players leave to get paid and new players are signed to reload and reload. Maryland already signed NC State forward Jakia Brown-Turner from the portal. Maryland probably projects to be a Sweet 16 team this year and a strong team in the many years ahead.

Ohio State lost Taylor Mikesell to the WNBA draft but otherwise should be about the same or better with strong recruits bolstering the team and Cotie McMahon emerging as an elite player. Ohio State and the aggressive press defense upset UConn in the NCAA Tournament. Ohio State projects to be a consistently strong team the next several years. (Michigan also appears to be emerging as a consistently strong team, including elite Minnesota prospects Olivia Olson and Taylor Woodson coming in this season and next.)

Miami is a tough team to project because the transfer portal is a bigger dynamic for Miami than other teams. Miami lost Destiny Harden in the 3rd round of the WNBA draft, and the high-profile Cavinder Twins have decided to forego their final year of eligibility to "start a new chapter in our lives." Otherwise, Miami for awhile is probably going to be one of the better teams. Miami outperformed expectations last season including upsetting Indiana in the NCAA Tournament.

Louisville was hit with the loss of star Hailey Van Lith to the transfer portal. Could this be the first season in years that Louisville is not an Elite 8 team? In December, Louisville also lost Payton Verhulst to Oklahoma. Louisville did pick up Cal guard Jayda Curry from the transfer portal, and Louisville is surely one of the more attractive places to play as a perpetual deep in the NCAA tournament team.

1681580221052.png

Three Top Teams Missing the Elite 8

UConn
will get star Paige Bueckers (from Minnesota) back after a knee injury. Lou Lopez Senechal and Dorka Juhasz (Lynx) left for the WNBA draft but UConn perpetually reloads talent. UConn was upset by Ohio State in the NCAA Tournament. UConn again projects as an elite Final Four team.

Minnesota Gophers fans will obviously be keen to the Minnesota-UConn game scheduled for November 19 this upcoming season -- a homecoming game for Paige Bueckers.

Indiana lost elite Grace Berger to the WNBA draft. Depending who Indiana lands in the transfer portal, Indiana could again project to be an Elite 8 team as the rest of the team core returns. Indiana as a #1 seed suffered an upset in the NCAA Tournament by losing to Miami.

Utah should peak next season as a Final Four contender. Alissa Pili was a phenomenal transfer portal pickup for Utah. Minnesotans Jenna Johnson and Gianna Kneepkens are key contributors. Utah as the favorite fell to LSU in the NCAA Tournament.

One Team Missing the NCAA Tournament

Minnesota
plays in a strong conference where six teams earned at least 11 conference wins, something Minnesota hasn't achieved since 2017-18.

Every Big Ten team that made the 64 team field of the NCAA tournament won 11 or more conference games. All of the Big Ten teams making the field won in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

So remember this threshold number: 11 Big Ten conference wins.

Illinois (11 conference wins) and Purdue (9 conference wins) earned NCAA action as First Four teams playing an extra game to try and make the 64 team field. Both lost.

11 -- and a minimum of 9 conference wins

Indiana won the Big Ten with 16 conference wins.

1681580319475.png

The Big Ten conference will get even tougher next season when UCLA and USC join, both projected to be top-25 teams.

Last edited:

Angel Reese is now the highest projected earner in all of Women's College Basketball.

Officiating for championship game bad, per official report. Did not meet NCAA standards.

Top Bottom