NCAA reveals college football preseason Top 25

Flecknation

Reaction score
18. Minnesota Gophers

It's difficult to climb into the top-10 and become a championship contender. It's perhaps harder to stay there consistently. That's the task ahead for P.J. Fleck, who led the Gophers to an 11-2 season and another statement win against Auburn in the Outback Bowl. Minnesota loses a ton on defense (All-America pick Antoine Winfield Jr.) and top running backs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks and WR Tyler Johnson — and OC Ciarrocca is now at Penn State. But QB Tanner Morgan (3,253 passing yards, 30 TDs) will still get to throw to Rashod Bateman (1,219 yards, 11 TDs).

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-03-20/college-football-rankings-preseason-top-25-2020-season

All the pieces are in place for the Gophers to have one of their most explosive offenses ever. We just haven't had a QB like Tanner Morgan that can continually throw downfield with accuracy and effectiveness and he gives us a chance to be in every game if healthy. Then you add an offensive line that comes back with a lot of experience as well as Mo Ibrahim who should have a breakout season if healthy. Gopher fans are well aware of what he can do but this will be the year that the rest of the country sees him. And I haven't even mentioned Bateman, who everybody wants to see this year. One of the keys to the Gopher success will be the development of the 2nd and 3rd WR's because Bateman will be in double or triple coverage all year. Someone should be getting single coverage or left open and they should be getting some balls thrown their way.

On Defense, we do lose a lot but there IS quality ready to step in. Fleck has had 3 full years to get replacements ready for this group and we will get to see some of them ready to go - I think we will be just fine. Add in some solid recruiting classes and I think we are going to have a lot of fun this year.

One last thing that is very encouraging for the Gophers are the preferred walk ons they are bringing in. It has been said you can tell the program's quality by the type of walk ons they get and I am very impressed by this latest group. No less than 5-6 of these kids would be scholarship players we would be pretty excited about in previous years.

I am already excited about next season!! Bring it on!!

I imagine green will get a shot at RB to this year. He's a great power runner. I'd like to see him on the field more than just a couple times a game for the wildcat package

Seems fair. The Gophers could be really good, well above historical averages, and still regress a bit from #10. 18 is where things ended the regular season at and a fair start given that folks know the raw talent here has less margin for error.

That said, I'll just be happy if there is a season and it's completed.

Look, I was a big fan of Shannon Brooks, but he was not a major contributor due to injuries. had 400 yards rushing and 2 TD's. Media outlets keep saying "Gophers are losing Smith and Brooks in the backfield."

The offense is going to be fine. 2020 is all about the defense.

Look, I was a big fan of Shannon Brooks, but he was not a major contributor due to injuries. had 400 yards rushing and 2 TD's. Media outlets keep saying "Gophers are losing Smith and Brooks in the backfield."

Incoming RB, Ky Thomas, is reported to have a similar style of Shannon Brooks. I really want to see him play, because I also was a big fan of Brooks. GO GOPHERS!

I hope to see Jason Williamson in some capacity after his return from ACL(?) injury.

Yeah I think we’re actually better at the RB spot in 2020. Mo’s gonna rush for 1,600 and the forgotten Bryce Williams gives us 500 more. Then it’s a battle for the #3 spot. The staff seems super high on Wiley...a lot of us are super high on incoming frosh Ky Thomas

Seth Green is still around, right? He’s only gonna be bigger, stronger and faster this year too. I imagine he accounts for 10 tds as well

I imagine green will get a shot at RB to this year. He's a great power runner. I'd like to see him on the field more than just a couple times a game for the wildcat package
He will remain in his current role. Not a RB, not a WR. Minnesota has way too many quality backs. They will add some wrinkles. He's not an every play player. He's a tweener.

Agree. Our running back situation will be as good or better than last year. Offensive line should be better too.

He will remain in his current role. Not a RB, not a WR. Minnesota has way too many quality backs. They will add some wrinkles. He's not an every play player. He's a tweener.
Agreed

I know guys are just wanting to talk football so everyone wants to have a 2020 season, but really, I'm not expecting the Big Ten lawyers to allow us to have a season this year, at all. Hope I'm wrong. But, would a conference afraid to play football if a lighting strike occurs within 10 miles of the stadium let players even practice during this crisis?

All depends where we are in 2,3,4 months.

Another consideration will be: if players haven't even been allowed to practice since Feb, perhaps only lifting weights/running on their own as they're able in their homes, etc. , but haven't been able to practice football at all, not in football shape, etc. do you want to let them play without at least a month to prepare? That speaks more to a delay than cancellation, but you get the idea.

Yeah I think we’re actually better at the RB spot in 2020. Mo’s gonna rush for 1,600 and the forgotten Bryce Williams gives us 500 more. Then it’s a battle for the #3 spot. The staff seems super high on Wiley...a lot of us are super high on incoming frosh Ky Thomas

Seth Green is still around, right? He’s only gonna be bigger, stronger and faster this year too. I imagine he accounts for 10 tds as well

I don’t expect Bryce Williams to see the field much, unless there are injuries to those ahead of him.

I really soured on him after the Georgia Southern game. He was clearly not prepared, and almost cost us the game with his whiff blocks.

I know guys are just wanting to talk football so everyone wants to have a 2020 season, but really, I'm not expecting the Big Ten lawyers to allow us to have a season this year, at all. Hope I'm wrong. But, would a conference afraid to play football if a lighting strike occurs within 10 miles of the stadium let players even practice during this crisis?

I'm skeptical like you, but here's Wuhan, epicenter of it all, two months after things fell apart worse than in the USA so far. There's likely some propaganda to this, but there is hope.

Parades and Fireworks in Wuhan Yesterday

China literally shut down the streets. They essentially jailed people in their homes. They delivered food to everyone.

We aren't doing that.

I think that Williams gets beat for the job. From what I have seen so far the game needs to slow down for him, and he needs to be more patient finding the hole. He seems to run well, but has not transitioned quickly to the college game.

You are such a Debbie Downer!

All depends where we are in 2,3,4 months.

Another consideration will be: if players haven't even been allowed to practice since Feb, perhaps only lifting weights/running on their own as they're able in their homes, etc. , but haven't been able to practice football at all, not in football shape, etc. do you want to let them play without at least a month to prepare? That speaks more to a delay than cancellation, but you get the idea.
You are such a Debbie Downer!

The reason young people are often left wingers is because they are fresh from Disneyland. I am old and reality has taught me, like most older men, that you can never be cynical enough about dreamers and other people who want your money. I hope for a Gopher football season, but expect the lawyers to urge caution and avoiding lawsuits. (We have less than 5% of the world's population but over 60% of the world's lawyers, for a really bad reason.) Sorry.

I agree that there might not be a season, but it isn’t because of lawyers. It’s because the university cares about health and safety of students and fans.
You can’t sue the university if your dad catches the flu at a gopher game and dies. Nor could you sue the University if they caught coronavirus.

you’d have to be able to prove in court that the virus was caught at the University to even begin to be able to hold it liable

I agree that there might not be a season, but it isn’t because of lawyers. It’s because the university cares about health and safety of students and fans.
You can’t sue the university if your dad catches the flu at a gopher game and dies. Nor could you sue the University if they caught coronavirus.

you’d have to be able to prove in court that the virus was caught at the University to even begin to be able to hold it liable

I was refering to the players being called back into action and close contact. No social distancing.

The reason young people are often left wingers is because they are fresh from Disneyland. I am old and reality has taught me, like most older men, that you can never be cynical enough about dreamers and other people who want your money. I hope for a Gopher football season, but expect the lawyers to urge caution and avoiding lawsuits. (We have less than 5% of the world's population but over 60% of the world's lawyers, for a really bad reason.) Sorry.
Yes! Russia, North Korea, and much of the Middle East - with their low lawyer ratios have got it nailed. Keeping their democracies and free economic systems is paramount.

:rolleyes:

Yes! Russia, North Korea, and much of the Middle East - with their low lawyer ratios have got it nailed. Keeping their democracies and free economic systems is paramount.

:rolleyes:

I lived in Canada for 40 years, have extensively visted France, England, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, the Netherland, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Australia (our son lives there), New Zealand, etc. None of these countries lack freedom, democracy, the rule of law, wealth or just a plesantness to visit or live. None has anywhere near the level of lawyers or lawyer costs. If half the lawyers in America died tonight this country would be a better place from tomorrow forward.

I lived in Canada for 40 years, have extensively visted France, England, Ireland, Sweden, Italy, Belgium, the Netherland, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Australia (our son lives there), New Zealand, etc. None of these countries lack freedom, democracy, the rule of law, wealth or just a plesantness to visit or live. None has anywhere near the level of lawyers or lawyer costs. If half the lawyers in America died tonight this country would be a better place from tomorrow forward.

Perhaps you should relocate to one of those Valhallas and spare yourself the “Oppression of the Lawyers”.

Funny thing is, if something bad happened to you or one if your family members, you would RACE to hire the very best attorney you could afford.

Veritas must have had some very bad experiences with the legal profession or he is just bitter about life in general and would rather have a grudge than see the bright side.

I was refering to the players being called back into action and close contact. No social distancing.
Again, if you catch the flu at work you can’t sue your employer

Perhaps you should relocate to one of those Valhallas and spare yourself the “Oppression of the Lawyers”.

Funny thing is, if something bad happened to you or one if your family members, you would RACE to hire the very best attorney you could afford.

Why would I want to give my money to a lawyer if something bad happened to me? Who wins in a legal dispute? You know the answer to that one, everyone knows. The lawyers. I'm 74 and have hired a lawyer only once in my life to fight a traffic incident. Huge mistake. Waste of my money.

Top Bottom