NBC Sees Big Ten Being ‘NFL of College Conferences’; proposing a strategy that calls for back-to-back, prime-time Big Ten and NFL games on Sat & Sun

It's B1G and SEC and the others are really going to struggle. Like the Notre Dame president said, the Big12/ACC/Pac12 remaining teams, after the B1G and SEC finish growing, won't be able to have enough clout to have a viable 3rd power conference.

FWIW - Greg Flugar, who covers the B1G, has launched a new You Tube channel - "A Peak around the Corner with Greg Flugar."

1st episode is available. Greg is - to be charitable - a little uncomfortable in front of the camera, but he does have some good information. this episode is mostly on B1G expansion and the negotiations on the new media deal.

best line - "The ACC has become an albatross for Notre Dame." he basically said there is no way Notre Dame can stay in the ACC, because when it all shakes out, it will be the B1G and the SEC as the only two real power conferences.

sounds like he plans to have weekly episodes. worth a look - not too long, a little over 30 minutes.

No.

Greg Flugar isn't anything. He makes things up for Twitter followers. He isn't a reporter, he isn't a journalist, has no connections to anyone.

I think this new media rights deal knocked it out of the park. The B1G definitely has a huge leg up on other conferences when comparing media rights and broadcasting.

Also very interesting that there are escalator clauses in case of future conference expansion.

With UC Regents announcing that "all options are on the table", including blocking UCLA to the Big Ten altogether .... you have to think that these numbers were for both USC and UCLA joining in 2024.

UC Regents holding Big Ten hostage? "Take Cal too, or no UCLA for you"? Could we force a pro-rata out of the networks for 17 schools? Or "close enough" if only USC comes?

Also very interesting that there are escalator clauses in case of future conference expansion.
This is how Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame could all end up in the Big Ten.

There has been a lot of speculation (but no confirmation) that such a clause exists in the SEC’s contract with Disney/ESPN. I’ll take that to mean there probably isn’t anything, and the SEC is locked-in to current terms with ESPN until the mid 2030’s.

With UC Regents announcing that "all options are on the table", including blocking UCLA to the Big Ten altogether .... you have to think that these numbers were for both USC and UCLA joining in 2024.

UC Regents holding Big Ten hostage? "Take Cal too, or no UCLA for you"? Could we force a pro-rata out of the networks for 17 schools? Or "close enough" if only USC comes?

You really think the UC Regents have the clout to hold the Big Ten hostage? I have a bridge to sell you in Duluth...

If UC holds UCLA back the Big will find someone else and UCLA is screwed.

This is how Texas, Oklahoma and Notre Dame could all end up in the Big Ten.

There has been a lot of speculation (but no confirmation) that such a clause exists in the SEC’s contract with Disney/ESPN. I’ll take that to mean there probably isn’t anything, and the SEC is locked-in to current terms with ESPN until the mid 2030’s.
You mean a clause for Texas and Oklahoma to say "The SEC doesn't make enough money for it's schools and we have a Big Ten invite, so we're jumping ship"? I'd say it's unlikely, but if it did exist, I would love to see the outrage from SEC fans if it happened...

You really think the UC Regents have the clout to hold the Big Ten hostage?
No. Poorly worded. They can hold UCLA hostage.

If UC holds UCLA back the Big will find someone else and UCLA is screwed.
That's very possibly true.

I think quite frankly the Big Ten should just move forward with 15. The "bad" thing with this is for any other (non-football) sports where they were trying to give the option of playing both USC and UCLA in one flight to SoCal.

That is a nice to have, of course, but let's be quite honest: all of this goings-on is because of largely for football. UCLA brings little in football.

Top Bottom