National Signing Period

So you don't see this class as a step or two back?
No I honestly don't.

Prior to Fleck we were bringing in MAC level talent to compete in a power 5 conference. Now we are recruiting players on par with the majority of the conference and the results are showing on the field since we have gone 13-5 in our last 2 full Big Ten seasons.

There is still room for improvement, but we are no longer at a talent deficit against the majority of other teams in the conference which is a sign of progress on the recruiting front.

Anyone getting hung up on the #13 ranking isn't really looking at the classes and just taking the lazy route of assuming the recruiting sites know exactly what they are talking about when they assign points to players from all over the country and expect people to believe those rankings are reliable as a comparison between two athletes.

Our class is right on par with all but a couple of schools in the conference and it is right in line with anything anyone else in the West is bringing in.

The Gophers only have two 4-Star recruits in the 2022 Class. My point is two extra legitimate 4-Star players can make a difference.

With all due respect I just don't think it is that simple. It gets tiring to use Nebraska all the time as the example but from 2017-2021 they signed 32 composite 4* recruits according to 247. Over that same timespan we signed 9 composite 4* recruits.

From 2017-2021 Nebraska failed to finish over .500 or surpass 3 Big Ten wins in any of those years.

Recruiting rankings are fun, building rosters full of highly ranked players get fans excited. But it is far more about finding the right players than it is about finding the highest rated players.

No I honestly don't.

Prior to Fleck we were bringing in MAC level talent to compete in a power 5 conference. Now we are recruiting players on par with the majority of the conference and the results are showing on the field since we have gone 13-5 in our last 2 full Big Ten seasons.

There is still room for improvement, but we are no longer at a talent deficit against the majority of other teams in the conference which is a sign of progress on the recruiting front.

Anyone getting hung up on the #13 ranking isn't really looking at the classes and just taking the lazy route of assuming the recruiting sites know exactly what they are talking about when they assign points to players from all over the country and expect people to believe those rankings are reliable as a comparison between two athletes.

Our class is right on par with all but a couple of schools in the conference and it is right in line with anything anyone else in the West is bringing in.
I meant compared to his other classes.

I meant compared to his other classes.
If you are just talking Fleck classes then I definitely don't think it is a step back compared to his other classes. The 2022 class feels very similar to all the other classes Fleck has signed since he got here.

Another class full of guys with legit Power 5 interest along with a few developmental guys. And as with last year they have really stepped up the transfer portal recruiting and look to have another strong group of transfers coming in for the 2022 season and beyond.

These types of classes are unlikely to make us CFP contenders but they should put us in great position to compete with everyone in the West and give us a shot to potentially win a Big Ten title here at some point as well.

With all due respect I just don't think it is that simple. It gets tiring to use Nebraska all the time as the example but from 2017-2021 they signed 32 composite 4* recruits according to 247. Over that same timespan we signed 9 composite 4* recruits.

From 2017-2021 Nebraska failed to finish over .500 or surpass 3 Big Ten wins in any of those years.

Recruiting rankings are fun, building rosters full of highly ranked players get fans excited. But it is far more about finding the right players than it is about finding the highest rated players.
I agree. Coaching and talent evaluation are big for the Gophers.

I agree. Coaching and talent evaluation are big for the Gophers.
Applies everywhere. Even places like OSU/Alabama where they are recruiting the best of the best caliber of athletes, they still have to get the right guys out of that group.

But it is definitely a bigger factor for schools in that second tier of recruiting who are bringing in guys that might not be as much of a "sure thing" as schools like Alabama are getting.

Any company or in fact anyone that reports results to the number of significant figures that Rivals or 247 do based on the numbers that they use to calculate, is a fraud.
I know most people have a terrible time dealing with uncertainty and looking at the stars or numbers is psychologically soothing because of the certainty it brings but in recruiting ratings the certainty is misleading.

Applies everywhere. Even places like OSU/Alabama where they are recruiting the best of the best caliber of athletes, they still have to get the right guys out of that group.

But it is definitely a bigger factor for schools in that second tier of recruiting who are bringing in guys that might not be as much of a "sure thing" as schools like Alabama are getting.
If you contrast the Gophers and the Huskers the last couple of seasons, you can see that the Gophers are sound on fundamentals for the most part. They play until the final whistle.

Gopher Football is a teaching program. The kids buy into it. They may not have the most talent on paper. They sure do know how to play team ball. They took a couple of bumps on the road last season.

It will be interesting to see how the Huskers will do with the new set of experienced coaches that were brought in. They may be a dangerous team moving forward. Time will tell.

The Big Ten West isn't getting any easier.

Top Bottom