National Signing Period

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Wednesday is the start of national signing period. How exciting are you for the Gophers class..?

Any news to expect?

I'm just relieved that we've already had a signing period earlier in December. I do like the early signing period in December. It lets current players know who is coming on board etc. Perhaps more transfer out then, but I would think I'd rather have an exodus in December, January as opposed to starting in February. Maybe it doesn't make any difference.

The only one I see that's in question right now is Vega Ione (IOL) out of Washington. It looks like we're in the mix, but he also has interest in Washington, Penn State, and UCLA.

However, I think the fact that we picked up Quinn Carrol and Chuck Filiaga makes me think that we may not be in the running or we have some very serviceable prospects coming in the line. He visited in December, but he's had 2 additional official visits with Washington and Penn State in the last 2 weeks.

The only one I see that's in question right now is Vega Ione (IOL) out of Washington. It looks like we're in the mix, but he also has interest in Washington, Penn State, and UCLA.

However, I think the fact that we picked up Quinn Carrol and Chuck Filiaga makes me think that we may not be in the running or we have some very serviceable prospects coming in the line. He visited in December, but he's had 2 additional official visits with Washington and Penn State in the last 2 weeks.
I doubt the transfers have anything to do with the recruitment of Vega. Very few offensive lineman are ready to come in and start right away, even when they have college ready size.

As of right now Vega and the RB out of Maryland would appear to be the main possible non-transfer signings that we might see for the 2022 class.

According to free 247 profile:

- took an official here Dec 11
- decommitted from Washington Dec 12
- Penn St offer Jan 13
- official to Washington Jan 21
- official to Penn St Jan 28

Guess we get to find out which part of the country he wants to spend his college years in tomorrow. Does he stay out West with Washington, head to the East with Penn State or venture to the MidWest with Minnesota?
I just looked and nothing .... oh right, duh, that's 845am Pacific time, so half an hour yet.

Nebraska flipped a RB from TCU this morning and now will have 7 Scholarship running backs for 2022. Johnson from MN is now their 3rd ranked RB in the class.

Nebraska flipped a RB from TCU this morning and now will have 7 Scholarship running backs for 2022. Johnson from MN is now their 3rd ranked RB in the class.
Highly possible they are considering some of those guys for other positions.

Most crystal balls are to Washington with one to Penn State.
How recent are those crystal balls though? I don't think they reset those when a player decommits so the Washington ones could be from back when he was committed to them.

How recent are those crystal balls though? I don't think they reset those when a player decommits so the Washington ones could be from back when he was committed to them.
The three Washington balls are June 2021 or older.

Last night Wiltfong put his ball in for Penn St. :( He is 422/445 (~95%) for 2022 class.

The three Washington balls are June 2021 or older.

Last night Wiltfong put his ball in for Penn St. :( He is 422/445 (~95%) for 2022 class.
Guess we have to hope we are in the 5% he gets wrong. Vega would be a nice get but don't think he makes or breaks the class either way.

Nebraska flips 4* WR from Georgia Tech. Frost gets a nice finish after hiring his new OC.

All bad news - anyone know any good news? Is Fleck the recruiter now Fleck the pretender?

And none of them are named I M Hipp🥲 - quite possibly the best Sports Name Eva

Last edited:

we will lose a recruiting battle to PSU 8/10 times. They're more of a national brand than the Gophs. Vega was 8 when the Sandusky scandal hit, he doesn't know any better.

Hope the transfers in this class have a big impact, otherwise it feels like a step or two back for Fleck in recruiting IMHO. 13th in the B1G pretty much however you evaluate. I'll gladly be wrong.

Hope the transfers in this class have a big impact, otherwise it feels like a step or two back for Fleck in recruiting IMHO. 13th in the B1G pretty much however you evaluate. I'll gladly be wrong.
#6 Iowa - 2 four star - 16 three star
#13 Minnesota - 2 four star - 16 three star

Classes 1-3 are really good on paper (OSU, PSU, Mich)
Classes 4-5 are a slight tick above the rest of the pack on paper (IND, MSU)
Classes 6-14 are all very similar on paper.

We aren't outdoing the competition in the conference in recruiting but we also aren't bringing in a class that is significantly worse on paper than anyone in our division or the majority of the conference.

In terms of raw material we are bringing in players that are on par with our biggest rivals. Then it just comes down to which staffs are better at identifying and developing those players into future starters.

We aren't outdoing the competition in the conference in recruiting but we also aren't bringing in a class that is significantly worse on paper than anyone in our division or the majority of the conference.

In terms of raw material we are bringing in players that are on par with our biggest rivals. Then it just comes down to which staffs are better at identifying and developing those players into future starters.
So you don't see this class as a step or two back?

PJ has adjusted.

We are no longer a team that is trying to recruit a top 25 class like he talked about when arriving.

We are now a developmental team.

But, PJ has adjusted at being a developmental team as well. At spots we fail to develop, we are very aggressive in the portal.

If the Gophers can clinch two real legitimate 4-Star impact players over their regular two or three that they get normally , they will win a Big Ten title.

I’d say the team’s ranked five through fourteen aren’t that far apart.

That BGSU lost will sting for a little while.

If the Gophers can clinch two real legitimate 4-Star impact players over their regular two or three that they get normally , they will win a Big Ten title.

I’d say the team’s ranked five through fourteen aren’t that far apart.

That BGSU lost will sting for a little while.
Recruiting service only shows 14 - 3 star recruits for the Gophers.

Top Bottom