National Signing Day, and off we go!

There is some elite talent in outstate for hockey, a very small amount in bball and virtually none in lacrosse. I’d chalk it up to just not having that sting of a football culture in MN.
Hey now, I'll have you know, I put up 10 career points in my college career!

What did he get banned for? I found him annoying, but there's the ignore feature for a reason.
This is kinda funny but I finally put him on ignore yesterday.
I'm sure he'll be back with an alternate account very soon.

There is some elite talent in outstate for hockey, a very small amount in bball and virtually none in lacrosse. I’d chalk it up to just not having that sting of a football culture in MN.
Oh sorry, the outstate thing and the hockey, bball, and lacrosse things were unconnected. Basically two possible reasons MN doesn't produce as much FBS talent as other states:
  • Outstate areas don't produce FB talent like some parts of Iowa and Wisconsin for some reason.
  • The state has a HUGE AAU and travel sports culture which has some elite athletes focusing on just one sport like hockey, basketball, lacrosse...and I'm sure others. Burns gave the example of a MN kid who was a stud lacrosse player moving to a prep school in Indiana, taking up football, and almost immediately getting FBS offers.

In other words, the other account that he was already previously active on..
I think he used to be Gophers4Life. Then he had the other one that sounded incredibly similar to MplsGopher and he would have conversations with himself.

I think he used to be Gophers4Life. Then he had the other one that sounded incredibly similar to MplsGopher and he would have conversations with himself.
His next should be "youcan'tgetridofmethateasyGoGOPHERS"

Yeah, I bet the fan of mplsgopher makes a reappearance soon. He has been banned before. sure he did something he had been warned not to. Threads are going to be a lot shorter while hi is gone.

Good lord are we really having the kick return argument again.....this topic has been beaten to death.
Explain it to the coach. He's the one who resurrected your dead horse by saying we're going to do something about the return game (while talking about Ryan Stapp). He's apparently not satisfied with the way we left field position advantage on the table so many times this year.

Oh sorry, the outstate thing and the hockey, bball, and lacrosse things were unconnected. Basically two possible reasons MN doesn't produce as much FBS talent as other states:
  • Outstate areas don't produce FB talent like some parts of Iowa and Wisconsin for some reason.
  • The state has a HUGE AAU and travel sports culture which has some elite athletes focusing on just one sport like hockey, basketball, lacrosse...and I'm sure others. Burns gave the example of a MN kid who was a stud lacrosse player moving to a prep school in Indiana, taking up football, and almost immediately getting FBS offers.
The specialization thing is big - especially as pertains to hockey. I mentioned it before, but it reaches down to the grade school level, where the hockey association was scheduling mandatory tryouts on Saturday mornings when we had football games. We had kids having to miss games.

I got the impression at our preseason coaches meeting that some of the high school football coaches had some serious disdain for hockey in general.

He definitely creates some ad revenue for the site!

The specialization thing is big - especially as pertains to hockey. I mentioned it before, but it reaches down to the grade school level, where the hockey association was scheduling mandatory tryouts on Saturday mornings when we had football games. We had kids having to miss games.

I got the impression at our preseason coaches meeting that some of the high school football coaches had some serious disdain for hockey in general.
Nothing is more annoying than one program in a community pushing 3 sports and another pushing their sport.

The early signing period closes today. Those that don't sign will have to wait until February. Looks like Hinzman will be waiting to sign.

They all pay lip service to wanting kids to play multiple sports. College coaches say it, but mean at HS level, not college, HS coaches say they like it but really want it to end at HS.

Specialization in one sport early is a real shame but agree that it has gotten more and more aggressive through the years. Too much focus on off season camps and training for a main sport as opposed to going out and playing other sports the way kids used to.

Parents drive this, they want to believe their kid is destined for greatness in their chosen sport, even though the vast majority of those kids won't make it beyond high school if they are even good enough to play at that level.

Specialization in one sport early is a real shame but agree that it has gotten more and more aggressive through the years. Too much focus on off season camps and training for a main sport as opposed to going out and playing other sports the way kids used to.

Parents drive this, they want to believe their kid is destined for greatness in their chosen sport, even though the vast majority of those kids won't make it beyond high school if they are even good enough to play at that level.
I don't think that parents drive it. They just don't know how to combat it. Kids just want to be active and parents want them to have great experiences as a kid. Unfortunately there is the business aspect of youth sports training. You can't make a living only offering your business 3 months a year.

Another issue is that the in-season focus has just become focused on games. Kids can't improve a ton during the season without proper coaching in practices that happen 2 times a week. Training and improvement is now out of season.

I don't think that parents drive it. They just don't know how to combat it. Kids just want to be active and parents want them to have great experiences as a kid. Unfortunately there is the business aspect of youth sports training. You can't make a living only offering your business 3 months a year.

Another issue is that the in-season focus has just become focused on games. Kids can't improve a ton during the season without proper coaching in practices that happen 2 times a week. Training and improvement is now out of season.
The issue is the whole youth sports culture but in the end it is driven by the parents because they are the ones shelling out the money for all the camps and what not. If the parents stop paying the specialization goes away.

As a parent I get it, you want your kids to succeed and there is a lot of pressure to do all the off-season work to give them the best chance because that is what a lot of other families are doing. Just kind of a shame that kids don't feel encouraged to go play other sports because they might "fall behind" or not be seen as dedicated enough to their primary sport.

A lot of the fun has been stripped out of youth sports, especially once you get to the traveling level. My youngest plays traveling baseball but to this point has always made the A level teams. While I would love to see him make the better teams there is a blessing that comes along with playing A ball in that they still get the traveling experience without nearly as much of the politics that comes with the higher level teams.

This happens in our association, as well. Not only do tryouts interfere with games & practices, but there are leagues that start play in early October. I had kids on my 8th grade team playing a hockey game at 4p in Rochester and then rushing to a 6:30p football game in Lakeville.

Hockey will always win out over the other sports because of the amount of $$$ that the parents have invested in it, and the hockey boards know this. They don't even TRY to accommodate the other sports. They know they don't have to.

And this is what really hurts football. It's one of the last sports that isn't year-round, or at least close to it at this point. So if you're expected to train/play year-round in soccer, basketball, hockey etc., you're going to be less likely to be able to play or want to play football in the fall.

We refused to go the traveling basketball route. My kid is playing house league, because I want him to have fun - that's the point. And he is having fun, and he's one of the better players on his team and he gets lots of court time, because the rosters are small. And we don't have to dedicate all weekend every weekend to hoops.

We went to the Wayzata varsity game last week. I think they have six seniors on the roster. With a class size of about 900, and assume half boys and girls, that means there's a 1/75 or .013 chance of playing varsity basketball.

And this is what really hurts football. It's one of the last sports that isn't year-round, or at least close to it at this point. So if you're expected to train/play year-round in soccer, basketball, hockey etc., you're going to be less likely to be able to play or want to play football in the fall.

We refused to go the traveling basketball route. My kid is playing house league, because I want him to have fun - that's the point. And he is having fun, and he's one of the better players on his team and he gets lots of court time, because the rosters are small. And we don't have to dedicate all weekend every weekend to hoops.

We went to the Wayzata varsity game last week. I think they have six seniors on the roster. With a class size of about 900, and assume half boys and girls, that means there's a 1/75 or .013 chance of playing varsity basketball.
Another issue is that the cuts come at the 9th grade level with terrible options if you don't make the team. For example a large school might have 60 kids try out for 20, 9th grade spots, with 10 for A and 10 for B teams. 40 kids are sent packing. Now the parent has to decide whether to put in the extra resources to keep the kid active in basketball to have any shot at making the 10th or JV team, knowing the kid might go from 5'8" to 6'4 in the next year.

The early signing period closes today. Those that don't sign will have to wait until February. Looks like Hinzman will be waiting to sign.

Why not give the Gophers a chance if you can’t make up your mind. They will take you in a heartbeat, and your folks and friends can watch you play every home game.

Minneapolis is closer than Madison. You will be heir apparent to Daniel Fa’alele as the next Gopher Star OL to be drafted into the NFL.

Why not give the Gophers a chance if you can’t make up your mind. They will take you in a heartbeat, and your folks and friends can watch you play every home game.

Minneapolis is closer than Madison. You will be heir apparent to Daniel Fa’alele as the next Gopher Star OL to be drafted into the NFL.
We might be on the outside looking in for his services but with him not signing Fleck has more time to keep working on him if he chooses to. Longshot, but we are talking about a high school kid so maybe something changes his mind and we end up back in the mix.

PJ will be just the man to do the convincing.

Another issue is that the cuts come at the 9th grade level with terrible options if you don't make the team. For example a large school might have 60 kids try out for 20, 9th grade spots, with 10 for A and 10 for B teams. 40 kids are sent packing. Now the parent has to decide whether to put in the extra resources to keep the kid active in basketball to have any shot at making the 10th or JV team, knowing the kid might go from 5'8" to 6'4 in the next year.
The one really nice thing we have here is the Southwest League. It's a rec league for kids in Middle and High School, where you play other schools, as opposed to in-house ball, where everyone is in the same district. That's how youth football is run as well, though starting earlier in fourth grade.

I caught a little bit of a game being played in another gym last weekend and the kids were having fun.

Top Bottom