National media reaction to a possible Tubby dismissal??

minngg said:
So we are a lower third BB and FB school? This is why Tubby isn't winning here? You agree with this idiot? If so, that explains everything about you.
Tubby will never get fired and he will get an extension when he coaches up this young team. Good coach! When he turns this around will you go away?

Tubby will never get fired and he will get an extension when he coaches up this young team. Good coach! When he turns this around will you go away?
Tubby should be extended but I don't think he should be extended at the same base pay. But will he accept less?

Some may recall when Glen Mason was terminated at the end of the 2006 season...

National media folks like Mark May questioned rather incredulously, "Who do those people in Minnesota think they are?!"

Not an unexpected reaction to the firing of a good, solid college football coach known for resurrecting 3 moribund programs -- Kent St., Kansas, and Minnesota -- and for consistently going to bowl games (Mason led Minnesota to more than 1/2 of its all-time bowl wins).

After quickly scanning this message board, I'm quite surprised to see a large number of 'holers who are ready to have Tubby jettisoned on out of here. Personally, I think it would be an insane decision on a number of different fronts.

Can you imagine the national media indignation if that were to happen....bringing in a new college president from Slippery Rock...and potentially a new AD from Slippery Rock...and the two of 'em telling a highly-respected, future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach to take a hike??!!

Wow, talk about giving the national media a ton of ammo for a field day...and having the local program dragged through the mud...sheeeesh...that would get ugly...

Mark May was in a small minority of "national media types" who expressed this opinion. I would say he was the only member of the national media to express this sentiment, but I can't be sure about that. The vast majority of media types mentioned Mason's GOD AWFUL BIG TEN RECORD.

What did you like about Glen Mason: his cumulative 8th place finish in the Big Ten over a decade or his putrid record in rivalry games? Every F'ing post of yours comes with some agenda about making Glen Mason out to be a martyr.

Glen Mason and Tubby Smith have very little in common, and there likely would be a national media outcry over a Tubby Smith firing, but not because it was Minnesota and we some how should be happy with mediocrity.

1. Tubby Smith has won a national championship
2. Tubby Smith has had a long career, is by all accounts a good guy, and because of this has made a lot of friends in the media
3. Tubby Smith is African-American- Because the number of African American head coaches in D-1 is still woefully small, their will be increased scrutiny in the treatment of Tubby Smith.

Now, can you handle the heat that comes with a decision like firing Tubby Smith? Joel Maturi obviously cannot, but you hope a good A.D. could. Does anyone still talk about the way Tubby was treated at Kentucky? Has it affected the 'Cats ability to recruit?

At the end of the day, you rarely hear media types say "great decision" when ANY head coach is fired because they either will continue to use said coach as a source OR fear that other coaches in the fraternity will be upset at them. It's simply good business to not bash head coaches if you are a member of the media.

I agree with you. Tubby has a YOUNG team and they will only get better.

We do have a young team what worries me is the fact that players don't seem to improve under this staff. Ralph is awful, Austin Hollins seems to have regressed, hope I'm wrong but no one seems to get any better between seasons.

We do have a young team what worries me is the fact that players don't seem to improve under this staff. Ralph is awful, Austin Hollins seems to have regressed, hope I'm wrong but no one seems to get any better between seasons.
Austin is definitely better, and it is hard to argue that Ralph didn't improve until his struggles this year. And how can you ignore Rodney's improvement as well? BTW - Austin's only been in the program 1 year, do you expect him to be leaps and bounds better?

Austin is definitely better, and it is hard to argue that Ralph didn't improve until his struggles this year. And how can you ignore Rodney's improvement as well? BTW - Austin's only been in the program 1 year, do you expect him to be leaps and bounds better?

Not gonna argue with you if you think Austin has improved. Rodney finally got to play the position he's comfortable playing. I think that has a lot to do with his perceived improvement.

Not gonna argue with you if you think Austin has improved. Rodney finally got to play the position he's comfortable playing. I think that has a lot to do with his perceived improvement.
I think if he had tried to attack more from the perimeter before the position change like he has been doing lately we would've noticed the change. I think a big part of it was with Mbakwe getting the ball in the middle and being "the guy" Rodney was a little tentative. Now he has chosen to be aggressive and a leader. Just my point of view.

You can't go by what the national media or critics might say, you have to do what's right as determined for yourself, and as Mr. Mark Twain might have said, let the damn critics be damned.

If it's determined here we can do better than what Tubby's given us, or might and should expect more bang per dollar, then let him go peacefully off into the sunset, and make the change, and nevermind the critics. The imperative is to do right by yourself most of all, and then let the rest all work itself out.

You can't go by what the national media or critics might say, you have to do what's right as determined for yourself, and as Mr. Mark Twain might have said, let the damn critics be damned.

If it's determined here we can do better than what Tubby's given us, or might and should expect more bang per dollar, then let him go peacefully off into the sunset, and make the change, and nevermind the critics. The imperative is to do right by yourself most of all, and then let the rest all work itself out.

Exactly. At this point, I'm not in favor of firing Tubby, of course that could change over the next year if the status quo remains constant. But for goodness sake, if we start letting the national media start dictating who we hire or fire, we'll never amount to anything. That'll show even worse leadership than we got with Maturi piloting the ship.

No way he gets fired. Who would MN get that would be better? Just face the facts. MN is a lower third B10 BB and FB school. Firing Smith wont change that. He's as good as MN will get.

This is the exact same retort we heard after Monson got axed. A few months later, some guy named Tubby Smith was being introduced as the head coach at the University of Minnesota.

Of course, this is a different situation, but if we want to play the whole "we're scared to fire Smith because of who we might end up with" game, we might as well give it up altogether.

Exactly. At this point, I'm not in favor of firing Tubby, of course that could change over the next year if the status quo remains constant. But for goodness sake, if we start letting the national media start dictating who we hire or fire, we'll never amount to anything. That'll show even worse leadership than we got with Maturi piloting the ship.

+1

I'm disappointed that the team still looks disoriented and doesn't appear to have improved much, firing Tubby right now is not the solution. If they are sniffing another 6-12 season next year at this point then I think you have to seriously consider a change. Next year they really need to be in the NCAA mix and hopefully be above 500 in the Big Ten.

This is the exact same retort we heard after Monson got axed. A few months later, some guy named Tubby Smith was being introduced as the head coach at the University of Minnesota.

Of course, this is a different situation, but if we want to play the whole "we're scared to fire Smith because of who we might end up with" game, we might as well give it up altogether.

Come again?

The truth of the matter is Minnesota will not win on a consistent basis in the B1G if they're not willing to get into the arm race, start poneying up the dough to prove that they want to be a successful program. Schools like Nebraska and Iowa are investing in their programs, building state of the art practice facilities. If you want top of state talant, those are the types of things that impress recruits, no one outside the state of Minnesota cares about gopher tradition. While building a new facility doesn't promice anything, one thing that can be promiced is without the financial commitment to being successful in bigtime college athletics, to keep up in the arms race, your University will be left in the dust. If you're a prize recruit from say Ohio and you visit IU and Minny, after walking through that new practice facility they have and all the U can offer is you can shoot hoops with the frat boys in Cooke hall on days the barn is closed, what school do you think that kid will go to? Minnesota's mediocrity extends beyond coaching, there's no financial commitment. When Clem and co made their run in the 97 there was no arms race, times have changed.

+1

I'm disappointed that the team still looks disoriented and doesn't appear to have improved much, firing Tubby right now is not the solution. If they are sniffing another 6-12 season next year at this point then I think you have to seriously consider a change. Next year they really need to be in the NCAA mix and hopefully be above 500 in the Big Ten.

And, your not sniffing 6-12 next season? How do you define hope. I want to be on the glass is half full side but it isn't supported by much.

And, your not sniffing 6-12 next season? How do you define hope. I want to be on the glass is half full side but it isn't supported by much.

I'm not. We lose only Ralph, and gain Mo, Wally and Buggs. Meanwhile, hopeful improvements from Dre, Oto, EE and Joe and maybe even Austin and others.

The truth of the matter is Minnesota will not win on a consistent basis in the B1G if they're not willing to get into the arm race, start poneying up the dough to prove that they want to be a successful program. Schools like Nebraska and Iowa are investing in their programs, building state of the art practice facilities. If you want top of state talant, those are the types of things that impress recruits, no one outside the state of Minnesota cares about gopher tradition. While building a new facility doesn't promice anything, one thing that can be promiced is without the financial commitment to being successful in bigtime college athletics, to keep up in the arms race, your University will be left in the dust. If you're a prize recruit from say Ohio and you visit IU and Minny, after walking through that new practice facility they have and all the U can offer is you can shoot hoops with the frat boys in Cooke hall on days the barn is closed, what school do you think that kid will go to? Minnesota's mediocrity extends beyond coaching, there's no financial commitment. When Clem and co made their run in the 97 there was no arms race, times have changed.

+1

I'm sniffing 10-8 and the dance. How do you define blind?

dpodoll68 said:
I love how, in your world, this is supposed to be an insult.

+1. The dude spent the entire week/weekend bitching about the coach. Who's the one with misplaced priorities?

Can you imagine the national media indignation if that were to happen....bringing in a new college president from Slippery Rock...and potentially a new AD from Slippery Rock...and the two of 'em telling a highly-respected, future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach to take a hike??!!

Wow, talk about giving the national media a ton of ammo for a field day...and having the local program dragged through the mud...sheeeesh...that would get ugly...[/QUOTE]

Don't you think by now we can dispense with the "future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach" nonsense?

Gophers lost to Northwestern because they didn't play physical enough. They weren't strong with the ball a lot times against the double teams on the ball which lead to 18 turnovers and they let NU screen them to death which equates to bad defense but credit NU for screening well . If you had a healthy Mbakwe and Mo you'd be playing more physical. Think Michigan state. They have a lot of big bodies and they compete physically from start to finish. I think you guys are going to be all right. I like Oto, EE, Dre, Coleman, Austin, Welch Mo. If you're lucky enough to get Rodney and Mbakwe back next year that's a top 4 Big Ten finish. Top 6 without them but still make the NCAA tournament. I think Coleman, Dre, Welch and Austin is a very good core of guards next year though you're just missing a physical presence on the blocks on a consistent basis. You get that, it opens up a lot of things. It's easier to get that physical presence than change your style of play completely, which is what Tubby had to do this year. It's been pretty effective but you can't substitute that physicality especially on the defensive end.

Don't you think by now we can dispense with the "future Hall-of-Fame basketball coach" nonsense?

I think we can/should dispense with the notion that Tubby is a great coach.

Is he at present time a good coach? Debatable, as has been discussed here quite often.

I think we can/should dispense with the notion that Tubby is a great coach.

Is he at present time a good coach? Debatable, as has been discussed here quite often.

The "great" notion was dispatched before he got here. And what foundation is left to pin being good on right now?

Come again?

Perhaps you were not around for the whole debate on here about never being able to get anybody worth anything when Monson was let go back in day? If not, then I understand your question. My point is that we can't simply stick with the status quo because we're afraid of who we might end up with. The same argument was made after the Monson/Mollinari split coaching year and then we ended up with a guy that everyone believed was an A+ hire at the time.

No matter the university, if a school makes any decision based on national media perception that tells me the decision-makers are weak leaders. I don't want leaders who have to check which way the wind is blowing before they make a tough decision.

Besides, who gives a rat's a*s what the media thinks? Decisions should be made based only on what's best for the institution, not what's best according to the guys and gals holding the pens and pencils and showing their mugs on TV.

+1. The dude spent the entire week/weekend bitching about the coach. Who's the one with misplaced priorities?
The entire week huh? It just seems like it to you because the truth is hard to face sometimes.

If I spent the whole week/weekend bitching about the coach, you spent as much time defending him. I mean making excuses for him.

Here is an idea. Fight ideas with ideas and stop throwing darts at the poster. It makes you look weak.

Top Bottom