National Championships

I ran across this on the NCAA site. It lists Iowa's NCs and the organizations that named them.
Looks like the Hawks have been named 5 times including 1960:
1921 - Iowa: Billingsley, Parke Davis
1922 - Iowa: Billingsley
1956 - Iowa: Football Research
1958 - Iowa: Football Writers
1960 - Iowa: Berryman, Boand, Litkenhous, Sagarin

Berryman, Boand, Litkenhous, & Sagarin? Sounds like a law firm to me

I would much rather have no "National" Championships then your last 45 years of football, but hey, that's just me.

I am buying drinks for anyone that saw a play from the '34, '35, '36, '40 or '41 seasons on October 3.

Met someone in church today 103 years old (born in 1906 since u probably can't do math)... looks like u owe her a drink too

Things are iffy before 1924, when the Dickenson system was recognized with a major trophy. The NCAA goes with the AP poll from 1936 through 1949 (which leaves out Michigan in '47) and recognizes the AP and coaches' polls after that. Before 1936, they go with a consensus of the many selectors, who included the AP football writer in the mid-thirties. All six of Minnesota's championships are recognized by the NCAA, along with six of Michigan's - so we are tied with them, but several of theirs go back to the stone age, the early 1900s. One selector picked us as national champ in 1903 or '04 - can't remember which. Basically, before 1924 and Dickinson, it's mythology.

Things are iffy before 1924, when the Dickenson system was recognized with a major trophy. The NCAA goes with the AP poll from 1936 through 1949 (which leaves out Michigan in '47) and recognizes the AP and coaches' polls after that. Before 1936, they go with a consensus of the many selectors, who included the AP football writer in the mid-thirties. All six of Minnesota's championships are recognized by the NCAA, along with six of Michigan's - so we are tied with them, but several of theirs go back to the stone age, the early 1900s. One selector picked us as national champ in 1903 or '04 - can't remember which. Basically, before 1924 and Dickinson, it's mythology.

Is GVBadger part of the Dickinson system?

I ran across this on the NCAA site. It lists Iowa's NCs and the organizations that named them.
Looks like the Hawks have been named 5 times including 1960:
1921 - Iowa: Billingsley, Parke Davis
1922 - Iowa: Billingsley
1956 - Iowa: Football Research
1958 - Iowa: Football Writers
1960 - Iowa: Berryman, Boand, Litkenhous, Sagarin

Iowa, like Wisconsin, has zero national championships. All of these you list were secondary authorities or lower at the time. Minnesota's 6 NC's, on the other hand, were determined by the primary authorities at the time, including the AP when it came around. If you included all of these secondary or lower sources, I believe Minnesota would have 8, not 6, NC's. Minnesota as a school, however, only lists the 6 "legitimate" NC's in the stadium, and elsewhere. I once did an investigation intot his matter but now am too lazy to dig it up. Hope this helps.

Iowa, like Wisconsin, has zero national championships. All of these you list were secondary authorities or lower at the time. Minnesota's 6 NC's, on the other hand, were determined by the primary authorities at the time, including the AP when it came around. If you included all of these secondary or lower sources, I believe Minnesota would have 8, not 6, NC's. Minnesota as a school, however, only lists the 6 "legitimate" NC's in the stadium, and elsewhere. I once did an investigation intot his matter but now am too lazy to dig it up. Hope this helps.

I don't care if you claim 12 NC's for Minnesota. They are all mythical up to 1998.

I don't care if you claim 12 NC's for Minnesota. They are all mythical up to 1998.

Of course that would be your opinion, and it is likely shared by all Iowa and Wisconsin fans. Shockingly you'll never hear that out of a fan of a program that has won AP National Championships. It's amazing what winning titles does to one's perception of their legitimacy.

I'm guessing our pig farming friends would have a very different opinion of AP titles had their team not gotten their asses handed to them at the Brickhouse in 1960.

If the shoe were on the other foot

Wisconsin and Iowa would not make reference to their history and acknowledge these championships by having signs or banners in Camp Randall and Kinnick.
They would not come on here and say we have 6 championships and you have ZERO right? Of course not.
If these are mythical would that would mean that all of our all-americans are mythical also?

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing our pig farming friends would have a very different opinion of AP titles had their team not gotten their asses handed to them at the Brickhouse in 1960.

And then you turn around and get YOUR asses handed to you in the 1961 Rose Bowl by Washington. You end up 8-2 (your other loss was to Purdue), Iowa is 8-1 and the Huskies are 10-1. Since the AP considered the bowl games a reward and not a continuation of the regular season Minn is named NC. Do you think that would've been the case if they voted AFTER the bowl games?

As it was the Helms Foundation DID vote after the bowls and they named UW as NC.

(By the way, I grew up on a farm in Iowa and we raised, you guessed it, pigs. I know you meant the term derisively but, seriously, your insults are going to have to be more original than that.
Also, the U of M has a College of Agriculture that TRAINS pig farmers. Nothing like insulting the students of an institution you're supposedly a fan of.)

And finally these words from Bo Schembechler:

You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical.

Wow, teams with no national championships sure have a lot of trolls on our boards who like to dispute how many championships we have. It was too long ago, you voted at the wrong time, but someone else beat you, blah, blah, blah. Thanks for caring so much about one of our 6 mythical titles to come on here and regurgitate the all the 50 year old details, even if we give you that one, you still have zero.

I love the Bo quote about big ten titles, we have 18, you have 11, end of story.

I know this is hard to believe, but I find this board entertaining. I have lived in Minnesota my entire life, except for college, and I was even a die hard Gophers fan until I went to Madison. I like the board because it is impossible not to hear about the Gophers if you follow sports in this town and I like to read what the locals are thinking.

Though I will say the thing that really draws me to the site is the psychotic hatred that some people have for the Badgers and Wisconsin in general. Some people are so off the deep end with their hatred, I find it amazing. It is like a bad car crash, you don't want to look, but somehow you always do. Some of you really need to relax. (not referring to you)

I can't believe you even compare the hatred that is spewed on this board with the stuff you get on buckyville. The stuff on here is at least civilized, just look at the thread today on buckyville, these people are savages:

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/21364/t/New-Gopher-Stadium.html

I can't believe you even compare the hatred that is spewed on this board with the stuff you get on buckyville. The stuff on here is at least civilized, just look at the thread today on buckyville, these people are savages:

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/21364/t/New-Gopher-Stadium.html

GV's boy Dano is the best. He is the greatest internet hardass in history. A guy named after a fictional 1970s cop threatening other posters on a message board. He makes posts like China Gopher on a regular basis over there...threatening to kick in teeth, trying to get opposing teams' fans to meet him at pre-game tailgates for an ass whipping. It's all too much.

And the absolute best part is that all the other girls respond to and rally around his chest thumping. I guess he's what qualifies as the tough guy amongst the 5'-4", 150#, clarinet playing buckyvillians.

Oh no...I hope he doesn't see this and threaten to meet me by the flagpole before the game on 10/3. Can you imagine the anonymous threats he would post on his board if he read this? How many air-punches he would throw in the mirror pretending to fight me? Book 'em, fake cop guy!

And then you turn around and get YOUR asses handed to you in the 1961 Rose Bowl by Washington. You end up 8-2 (your other loss was to Purdue), Iowa is 8-1 and the Huskies are 10-1. Since the AP considered the bowl games a reward and not a continuation of the regular season Minn is named NC. Do you think that would've been the case if they voted AFTER the bowl games?

As it was the Helms Foundation DID vote after the bowls and they named UW as NC.

(By the way, I grew up on a farm in Iowa and we raised, you guessed it, pigs. I know you meant the term derisively but, seriously, your insults are going to have to be more original than that.
Also, the U of M has a College of Agriculture that TRAINS pig farmers. Nothing like insulting the students of an institution you're supposedly a fan of.)

And finally these words from Bo Schembechler:

You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical.

Stating that you disagree with the way the AP awarded National Championships does not change anything. Bowl games were exhibitions back then. Period. Ohio State turned down the Rose Bowl in 1961. Minnesota turned down several bowl games in previous years. So what? The AP, the recognized body at the time, voted the Gophers the champs. Period. Try to revise it all you want, it doesn't matter.

And quoting Bo on the importance of National Championships...farking priceless. One of the biggest chokers in history doesn't think championships are important? I'M SHOCKED! Again I'll state that a player/coach/fan from a school that has won championships would never say anything like that. It's called a loser's lament for a reason.

Top Bottom