National Championships

Maroon92

Reaction score
I know we have 6-- but how many does the rest of the teams in the Big Ten have. I am having a hard time tracking this down because in the olden days it seemed like there were so many different polls. Which is the official one to use? Does anyone have the "real" number for the conference.

National Champions

I had a different name last season, but I see the board has changed...I used to be duder, but this is my first post as GopherNation, glad to be back.....

National Championships:

Michigan 7 (1901, 1902, 1923, 1933, 1947, 1948, 1997)
Minnesota 6 (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960)
Ohio State 5 (1942, 1954, 1957, 1968, 2002)
Illinois 4 (1914, 1919, 1923, 1927)
Michigan State 3 (1952, 1965, 1966)
Penn State (1982, 1986)

If you want to go by National Poll Championships, you have to go from 1936, in which case Minnesota would have 4 National Championships. Either way we are 2nd in the Big Ten for National Championships won.

I had a different name last season, but I see the board has changed...I used to be duder, but this is my first post as GopherNation, glad to be back.....

National Championships:

Penn State (1982, 1986)

If you want to go by National Poll Championships, you have to go from 1936, in which case Minnesota would have 4 National Championships. Either way we are 2nd in the Big Ten for National Championships won.

considering all of the prestige their program is/always has been awarded by the press, etc. that is quite a large gap in time there for michigan in terms of national championships.....1948 all the way until 1997. wow!

i would love to see someone count up the national championships that have sprouted off the gopher football coaching and/or playing tree in some manner. it has to be a rather large number.

i mean think about it. you have: bernie bierman, clarence "biggie" munn, duffy daugherty (mentored by munn), gil dobie, bud wilkinson, murray warmath, etc.

anyone know what the NC total would be?

Doesn't Iowa have one from 1958 or 59 too? I swear I saw a short story on BTN about an Iowa team from about that time that claimed one MNC.

Edit: It looks like LSU won the final AP & UPI poll that came out that year (prior to the bowls) and the MNC that Iowa claims is from the Football Writer's Association of America which awarded them the Grantland Rice Award. I guess that is the joy of a mythical national champion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Iowa_Hawkeyes_football_team

National Championships:

Penn State (1982, 1986)

I like this list and it largely mirrors the results found on the following website called the College Football Data Warehouse. Teams disagree of course (ex. Michigan claims 11 National Champions, Penn State 4), but most of those discrepancies are usually pre-1933.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/nchamps_year.php

They are no longer a current member, but Chicago won the NC in 1905.

I would much rather have no "National" Championships then your last 45 years of football, but hey, that's just me.

I am buying drinks for anyone that saw a play from the '34, '35, '36, '40 or '41 seasons on October 3.

They are no longer a current member, but Chicago won the NC in 1905.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Chicago was somehow still affiliated with the BT academically but not athletically. Does anyone know about that or am I talking out of my ass again??

I would much rather have no "National" Championships then your last 45 years of football, but hey, that's just me.

Well then you're a moron not to mention delusional.

What does this list say about the Big 10 as a whole? Only a handfull of championships in the last 40 years. Where does that stand up next to the other conferences?

I am buying drinks for anyone that saw a play from the '34, '35, '36, '40 or '41 seasons on October 3.

That right there is FUNNY........I don't care who you are!

Seriously, I was born in 1971.......anything I can't remember or since my birth is nice and all, its a part of history, but it isn't a part of recent history nor is it particularly relevent to the "state of the union" today.

Sorry, but 6 championships trumps no championships, regardless.

Before this turns into yet another pissing match, please understand I have nothing against Wisconsin or their program (although I don't have much time for Beliema). And admittedly, the Badgers have had much more success over the past 20 years and in head-to-head matchups. Still, 6-0 in titles is a HUGE discrepancy.

That right there is FUNNY........I don't care who you are!

Seriously, I was born in 1971.......anything I can't remember or since my birth is nice and all, its a part of history, but it isn't a part of recent history nor is it particularly relevent to the "state of the union" today.

WTF are you babbling about? How is "Anything I can't remember or since my birth" not recent history or relevant to today? Both the things you can't remember and things that happened since your birth are things that could have taken place as recently as 2 seconds ago! But that's not recent...No, not at all...

Perhaps you meant before your birth...something tells me you probably don't remember a lot of things and the correct vocabulary for your sentences is probably one of them.

As for what the "state of the union" has to do with any of this...

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Chicago was somehow still affiliated with the BT academically but not athletically. Does anyone know about that or am I talking out of my ass again??

You are correct. From Wikipedia: "The University of Chicago was a co-founder of the conference and still maintains affiliation through the Committee on Institutional Cooperation. " The Committee on Institutional Cooperation is also known as the Academic Big Ten. It consists of the 11 Big Ten schools plus the University of Chicago and Illinois-Chicago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Committee_on_Institutional_Cooperation

I haven't been able to read the Big Ten bylaws myself (anyone know where I can find them?), but I have heard multiple sources claiming that Big Ten bylaws allow the University of Chicago to rejoin the Big Ten. It's unlikely, as they would have to move up from D-III, and have indicated no interest in doing so.

I can't believe this guy has surfed his way to over 200 posts like this on this website. I realize I am giving him what he wants (a response, to be noticed, attention) but I can't imagine spending that kind of time on a rival website just to try to throw silly jabs. I know every fan base has them (including ours), and GVBadger is actually far more tame compared to real freaks like Pantherhawk, I just couldn't help but comment this time.

I can't believe this guy has surfed his way to over 200 posts like this on this website. I realize I am giving him what he wants (a response, to be noticed, attention) but I can't imagine spending that kind of time on a rival website just to try to throw silly jabs. I know every fan base has them (including ours), and GVBadger is actually far more tame compared to real freaks like Pantherhawk, I just couldn't help but comment this time.

I know this is hard to believe, but I find this board entertaining. I have lived in Minnesota my entire life, except for college, and I was even a die hard Gophers fan until I went to Madison. I like the board because it is impossible not to hear about the Gophers if you follow sports in this town and I like to read what the locals are thinking.

Though I will say the thing that really draws me to the site is the psychotic hatred that some people have for the Badgers and Wisconsin in general. Some people are so off the deep end with their hatred, I find it amazing. It is like a bad car crash, you don't want to look, but somehow you always do. Some of you really need to relax. (not referring to you)

I know this is hard to believe, but I find this board entertaining. I have lived in Minnesota my entire life, except for college, and I was even a die hard Gophers fan until I went to Madison. I like the board because it is impossible not to hear about the Gophers if you follow sports in this town and I like to read what the locals are thinking.

Though I will say the thing that really draws me to the site is the psychotic hatred that some people have for the Badgers and Wisconsin in general. Some people are so off the deep end with their hatred, I find it amazing. It is like a bad car crash, you don't want to look, but somehow you always do. Some of you really need to relax. (not referring to you)

1.) on the first part. figured as much. does the GV stand for "Golden Valley" by chance?

2.) on the second part. whoa there nelly!! let's not be the pot calling the kettle black son. one only needs to spend a short 30 minutes on buckyville.com to see the exact same hatred and disdain for all things gophers and minnesota which are spewed on that board daily. don't even try to deny it because you know it is true GV. all we ask is that if you are going to come here with this type of lecture about fan civility that you/your fellow badger fans take a real good look in the mirror and don't try to hold yourselves up to some false, higher level of civility because it certainly is not true in the least.

1.) on the first part. figured as much. does the GV stand for "Golden Valley" by chance?

2.) on the second part. whoa there nelly!! let's not be the pot calling the kettle black son. one only needs to spend a short 30 minutes on buckyville.com to see the exact same hatred and disdain for all things gophers and minnesota which are spewed on that board daily. don't even try to deny it because you know it is true GV. all we ask is that if you are going to come here with this type of lecture about fan civility that you/your fellow badger fans take a real good look in the mirror and don't try to hold yourselves up to some false, higher level of civility because it certainly is not true in the least.

1. Yes, it should be BPBadger now, but I am too lazy to change it.

2. I agree with you 100%, that cracks me up as well. I get in the same pissing matches with Packers fans(the most insufferable fans on this earth) as I do with Gophers fans. I enjoy the banter because it is entertaining. The psychotic fringe on both sides seriously scares me. I happen to think the Gophers psychotic fringe is a little stronger, but I may be biased. :)

Make it a Margarita!

you owe me drink - check out the link

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/items/show/496

(you did not say I had to see it live!)

2. I agree with you 100%, that cracks me up as well. I get in the same pissing matches with Packers fans(the most insufferable fans on this earth) as I do with Gophers fans. I enjoy the banter because it is entertaining. The psychotic fringe on both sides seriously scares me. I happen to think the Gophers psychotic fringe is a little stronger, but I may be biased. :)

I have no problem with WI or the Becky fans, but Iowa can f*ck off! :D;)

ever notice?

That the people saying "History doesn't matter." are the people who have none?

1. I had also guessed it was Golden Valley. So I have a question, should we call you GVB or BPB? I only ask as a formality. Feel free to respond if you so choose.

2. There is definitely a lunatic fringe element to any fanbase. I for one love Kentucky basketball fans. The lunatic fringe over there makes Gophers, Hawkeyes and Badgers look like amateurs.

So taking all that into account, here's another question for you: How much fun has the last week been for you with Packers fans? I can only guess as to the level of insanity the last seven days has brought out to the east.

Hey today is your lucky day! Wish granted! .........ready? Wait for it...... Here is you big fat 0 national championships! Congrats! Yeahh!!! Who's the big winner????!!! YOUR ARE!!! Yeahh!!!

What I find funny is that on Buckyville the introduction next to the hockey board says "6 > 5" but us saying "6 > 0" is wrong in the eyes of GVBadger. Hyprocrisy at its best.

"Titletown"

Funny how Wisky residents cloak themselves in this moniker in reference to Green Bay and the Packers, and yet 11 of the 12 happened on or before 1967.

Somehow, when the Gopher National Championships are brought up, there is no history prior to 1990.

Wisconsin sports fans are beauties - they can spin unlike any others.

I love the 6>5 thing too. However the Gopher Hockey team really has 7 national championships, only 5 of which happened to be NCAA championships, the other 2 were prior to the NCCA, They shared the 1929 National Intercollegiate Athletic Association championship with Yale and won the Amateur Athletic Union (AUU) championship for amateur hockey in 1940. But Badger fans won't allow us to count those either. Just like Michigan only has one national championship in football, because all the others are REALLY old.

This is because you are jealous that your school has no football tradition. Hope this helps.

National Championships:

Penn State (1982, 1986)

I ran across this on the NCAA site. It lists Iowa's NCs and the organizations that named them.
Looks like the Hawks have been named 5 times including 1960:
1921 - Iowa: Billingsley, Parke Davis
1922 - Iowa: Billingsley
1956 - Iowa: Football Research
1958 - Iowa: Football Writers
1960 - Iowa: Berryman, Boand, Litkenhous, Sagarin

Top Bottom