Nathan Roy Commits to Gophers!

I heard they cooled on him.
I’d believe that they “cooled” on him meaning that the new staff came in, he made it clear that he wasn’t interested, and they decided to not spend any more time on him. Have a hard time believing they would cool based on football ability.

Also, cool to see his parents excited. I’m sure part of them wanted to see him at UCLA with his brother, but happy to see them supporting him either way.

I’d believe that they “cooled” on him meaning that the new staff came in, he made it clear that he wasn’t interested, and they decided to not spend any more time on him. Have a hard time believing they would cool based on football ability.

Also, cool to see his parents excited. I’m sure part of them wanted to see him at UCLA with his brother, but happy to see them supporting him either way.
They are probably pretty happy to have him staying closer to home actually. Based on his dads tweet there are 3 more siblings so travelling long distances probably isn’t easy for them.

4* and looking at that offer list I also have trouble believing Wisc would lose interest.

Outside of off the field, injury situations… this looks like a guy almost any school takes if possible…
I think wisconsin lost interest when they realized their state was going to be raided by the Gophers and Penn State

The Gophers have been reaping the rewards of program stability in the 2024 cycle. The Gophers have locked down nearly the entire Top 10 in Minnesota, while Fickell's new staff seems to be well behind in building relationships within wisconsin.

In 2018, 247 had BSF #1 and Benny Sapp III #2 (Alston #1 per composite)

2020...played the long game and got Carroll lol

2022, Bixby was #1 per 247
Composite is what I've used... Always. But p.j.has definitely done a better job locking the borders. And I'll even say my post was definitely more inaccurate than accurate.

This kid seems to have some wheels. What's his 40 time?

Wow. For one....a massive offer list with a lot of helmet schools. But more importantly.....the Gophers pulling the best HS player from Wisconsin? Awesome to say the least.

PJ Fleck's football camps for all ages must be popular in the region.

The Athletic WI beat writer had a story about Roy this AM.
Basically, Roy formed the closest attachment with the MN OL coach and that was how he decided to commit to MN.
Roy was a west coast kid who moved to WI just a couple of years ago.
He seems to be very talented and it is a good get for MN.

Great Read, per the Athletic: Why Nathan Roy, No. 1 football recruit in Wisconsin, committed to Minnesota and P.J. Fleck

Roy’s commitment is significant for several reasons. He is rated in the 247Sports Composite as a four-star prospect and the No. 1 player in Wisconsin, which means the Badgers will miss out on the top-ranked player from the state for the first time since 2016, when four-star offensive lineman Ben Bredeson signed with Michigan. Roy becomes the highest-rated commit during Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck’s tenure and the fifth-highest-rated Gophers commit in the internet recruiting rankings era.

“It’s a milestone for me,” Roy said. “The thing with college is that everybody who comes to college, they were No. 1 on their team or a top-rated recruit. So I’m kind of just looking forward to working my tail off at Minnesota. I can’t wait to get there and start being a Gopher.”

Roy’s proximity to Madison, coupled with his talent and Wisconsin’s desire to keep him in the state, leads to some natural questions. What happened? How does this affect Minnesota? And what, if anything, does this mean for the Badgers?

“P.J. is awesome,” Ben said. “High energy, high intensity. I saw that on day one when we were down there for a game. He came up to us when we were on the field. You could just tell the energy that he has. He’s just very transparent. We had several office calls with him. I liked everything that he’s doing with the program from a competitive standpoint, a developmental standpoint. I think my son is in good hands with P.J. Fleck and Brian Callahan.”

https://theathletic.com/4622546/2023/06/20/recruiting-florida-wisconsin-maryland-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom