Nate Triplett

SPCPrice21

Reaction score
I would like to give a shout out to Nate Triplett. I know this is late, but no one knew his name before this season. 95% of Gopher Nation didnt think he was going to start either. He proved alot to us last season. I was part of the 5% that thought he was going to start, but i never could of imagined a 100 plus tackle season, with a couple INTs and FUM REC and a TD. I never would of thought he had a chance to get drafted. Does anyone know what teams are interested. And what round. I've read that he will get drafted higher then expected with his 6'3 250 frame running at 4.65 fourty at his pro day. He moved well at the combine and his pro day. His athleticism is very underrated. Not alot of people know that when he was a JR in highschool that the Chicago Whitesox were scouting him, but he quit baseball after his JR to join track to help him get faster for football. He also almost quit football after his Soph year to join the baseball team. I think Eric Decker will have the best career of all the gophers in this class. I hope Tripp will have the second best cause he deserves it. one quick thing i noticed when watching him play, i noticed his weakness's are his pass rushing abilities, and he has a hard time shedding off blockers in the middle. That could be from lack of experience. Anyone have thoughts on that.

Honestly I think you're a bit off. Most of us expected Triplett to start leading up to last season. Most people that actually follow the team knew he was a very good athlete but questioned his impact since despite his athleticism and being an ST force for 2 years he wasn't able to beat out guys with much less talent than him for PT. I don't know whether he 'deserves' anything more than the other guys because if anything last year showed me that he was underacheiving before that.

I would like to give a shout out to Nate Triplett. I know this is late, but no one knew his name before this season. 95% of Gopher Nation didnt think he was going to start either. He proved alot to us last season. I was part of the 5% that thought he was going to start, but i never could of imagined a 100 plus tackle season, with a couple INTs and FUM REC and a TD. I never would of thought he had a chance to get drafted. Does anyone know what teams are interested. And what round. I've read that he will get drafted higher then expected with his 6'3 250 frame running at 4.65 fourty at his pro day. He moved well at the combine and his pro day. His athleticism is very underrated. Not alot of people know that when he was a JR in highschool that the Chicago Whitesox were scouting him, but he quit baseball after his JR to join track to help him get faster for football. He also almost quit football after his Soph year to join the baseball team. I think Eric Decker will have the best career of all the gophers in this class. I hope Tripp will have the second best cause he deserves it. one quick thing i noticed when watching him play, i noticed his weakness's are his pass rushing abilities, and he has a hard time shedding off blockers in the middle. That could be from lack of experience. Anyone have thoughts on that.

Thanks for posting, Nate's mom/cousin/girlfriend/next door neighbor!

Seriously though, while many expected Triplett to start, I don't think anyone expected this kind of production out of him. Kudos to Nate for an overachieving Gopher career, and best of luck to him as he tries to establish himself in the NFL.

Will he be drafted? Before the pro-day work outs "no", now "yes". I think some NFL team will pick him up since he was always a special teams stud and guys his size who can motor will always have a place on NFL special teams. In my mind if you're drafted after the 6th round you'd have been better off not getting drafted at all because you can select a team to sign with where you have the best chance of making it as a free agent.

I dont want to argue with anyone on here, but if you look at posts from a year ago at this time alot of people had either Maresh or the Skyline LBs starting along side Campbell and Lawrence. He was always on the Depth Chart being the starter, but alot of people thought he would loose his spot. Especially since Cooper is so fast and more athletic. I know him personally i wasnt talking about he deserves a good career in the NFL because of his on the field play. Im talking about him because of who he is. One of the nicest guys you will meet. Always puts his team first. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mage_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBQQ9QEwBQ ..... Read that.. in the middle of the article is what i was talking about. Coach Palv means every word.

dpodoll68,

no problem. He worked hard and thought he deserved some recognition

Excuse me

Nate came to the Gophers from Delano High School. An amazing athlete, I wondered when he would see the field and he did two years ago. He was a heck of a special teams player. But he got the chance this year and made the most of it. To say no one had ever heard of him, is stretching the truth.

Whether or not he's drafted, he's going to get a serious shot at the next level. He has good size, good speed, and he plays with determination, which are the marks of guys who can contribute on special teams. It also doesn't hurt that a lot of teams are going to 3-4 defenses. If someone thinks he can develop into a solid pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme, I predict he'll get drafted.

I dont want to argue with anyone on here, but if you look at posts from a year ago at this time alot of people had either Maresh or the Skyline LBs starting along side Campbell and Lawrence. He was always on the Depth Chart being the starter, but alot of people thought he would loose his spot. Especially since Cooper is so fast and more athletic. I know him personally i wasnt talking about he deserves a good career in the NFL because of his on the field play. Im talking about him because of who he is. One of the nicest guys you will meet. Always puts his team first. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mage_result&resnum=6&ct=image&ved=0CBQQ9QEwBQ ..... Read that.. in the middle of the article is what i was talking about. Coach Palv means every word.

Thats why I said people that actually follow the team. Plenty of people on here thought Shady Soloman was a B10 RB, Gray should've started over Weber as a true frosh that hadn't played in 2 years, and that McKnight was a throw in recruit. It was pretty clear that Nate had the starting spot locked up from Spring of last year. I hope he does it big in the NFL, I just wish he would've put it all together a few years earlier

Most people that actually follow the team knew he was a very good athlete but questioned his impact since despite his athleticism and being an ST force for 2 years he wasn't able to beat out guys with much less talent than him for PT. ..... if anything last year showed me that he was underacheiving before that.

This seems like a good time to point out that he was a walk-on out of H.S. A walk-on.

Triplett's story -- of going from a walk-on from a smallish school in Minnesota to a starter scoring in the opening game at TCF, to generating NFL buzz -- is one that other schools have their PR and marketing department basically make-up to keep the locals feeling like their program has some kind of local roots.

This seems like a good time to point out that he was a walk-on out of H.S. A walk-on.

Wrong.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Nate-Triplett-27712

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1164702

From the man's own mouth...

http://multimedia.play.it/m/audio/28859516/9-13-09-sports-huddle-with-sid-and-dave-nate-triplett.htm

The funny thing is that it is wrong on his own U of M bio:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=261456

I don't know where this got started, but it has been espoused (and debunked) here previously.

As OleBOy said many of us who follow the team closely thought Triplett would start, not Cooper, figured Weber would keep his spot over Gray, etc. etc.

I predict this years misconceptions are 1) Alipate is better than Gray so Gray should move to WR 2) Michel/Olsen will start over Wills/Alford 3) Anyone in our secondary should start over Collado (Actually this one happens every year) 4) One of the three Freshmen RB's will be the starter come fall.

Triplett will make a practice squad but never see a down in the NFL besides maybe a preseason game during garbage time

As OleBOy said many of us who follow the team closely thought Triplett would start, not Cooper, figured Weber would keep his spot over Gray, etc. etc.

I predict this years misconceptions are 1) Alipate is better than Gray so Gray should move to WR 2) Michel/Olsen will start over Wills/Alford 3) Anyone in our secondary should start over Collado (Actually this one happens every year) 4) One of the three Freshmen RB's will be the starter come fall.

I don't know how many people actually believe these things, or if its more of a case of making themselves believe. I've been trying my best to convince myself one of the freshman RB's is going come in and take the starting spot, just to be a little more hopeful and optimistic.

I'm not sure but I if I recall correctly Husker was the first poster who was predicting that Triplett would start. I guess that I was one who was thinking that if he hadn't made a big impact by his junior there was little reason to think that he would as a senior. I was wrong and am glad that I was - best of luck to Nate!

Triplett's story -- of going from a walk-on from a smallish school in Minnesota to a starter scoring in the opening game at TCF, to generating NFL buzz -- is one that other schools have their PR and marketing department basically make-up to keep the locals feeling like their program has some kind of local roots.

As its been said that isn't the case. Also if you recall coming out of HS many people had Triplett as a better prospect than Laurnitis. He's had the physical tools almost since he got here but couldn't get it all together for whatever reason. I'm glad he finally did I just wish it would've happened sooner.

wasnt Tom Brady drafted in the 7th round?

point is that low draft picks aren't high priorities for teams and you don't have the security of almost being assured of making the team like 1-4 round picks and usually 5th round picks as well. By not being drafted you usually have a number of teams that want to sign you as an UFA so you get to choose the situation you think is best for you.

Top Bottom