Nadine Babu STRib Blog: Gophers win over New Hampshire-were beer sales as successful?

Good to hear things went smoothly, in spite of the naysayers that were soooooooo worried about the stumbling, falling down, drunken alcoholics taking over the Bank.

Good to hear things went smoothly, in spite of the naysayers that were soooooooo worried about the stumbling, falling down, drunken alcoholics taking over the Bank.

I know! We had beer for forever the Dome, and things were just fine. I almost feel like this is what happens when you don't ban something - like countries that don't have drinking ages. Most people just drink responsibly.

I know! We had beer for forever the Dome, and things were just fine. I almost feel like this is what happens when you don't ban something - like countries that don't have drinking ages. Most people just drink responsibly.

Correct.

Why is it $7.25? That seems really odd to me. Nadine points out they ran out of change. Make it $7 or $8. Won't have the change issue and the transaction will go faster with only bills.

Why is it $7.25? That seems really odd to me. Nadine points out they ran out of change. Make it $7 or $8. Won't have the change issue and the transaction will go faster with only bills.

I'm with you. Thought that price point was silly too - I guess they thought people would tip? $7 or 8 would make a lot more sense to me. Just think of how many people you can go through. Volume = more $$$

This is kind of off-topic, but how did the tailgate go with GameDay Envy? Did some students show up?

Getting strong attendance to something like that would probably need to be built up over several consistent weeks, but I thought it was at least a jump in the right direction. Trying to do similar things like that every week is a much better solution than everyone just sitting on their hands and complaining that the students don't come out.

This is kind of off-topic, but how did the tailgate go with GameDay Envy? Did some students show up?

Getting strong attendance to something like that would probably need to be built up over several consistent weeks, but I thought it was at least a jump in the right direction. Trying to do similar things like that every week is a much better solution than everyone just sitting on their hands and complaining that the students don't come out.

It actually went really well, thanks for asking. I literally had some students come up to me and hug me and thanked us for giving them a spot to tailgate, as they've never had one. It would get bigger and better every week, would love for the U to do something like this. I completely agree!

Here's the update I had posted with pics - it was great, I already saw some of the students change their profile pictures on Facebook to pictures with Tony Patterson, Ron Johnson, and Tellis Redmon.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ilgate-for-Others-to-Envy&p=569854#post569854

I'm with you. Thought that price point was silly too - I guess they thought people would tip? $7 or 8 would make a lot more sense to me. Just think of how many people you can go through. Volume = more $$$

By making it an uneven number, they encourage and increase tipping.

By making it an uneven number, they encourage and increase tipping.

An extremely common practice.(odd numbers that is). Look around people.

Another solution would be to have more change(quarters) on hand, which they said they will be doing.

How about charge $8 and then automatically give .75 per beer to each cashier? Don't have to worry about change, vendors get tipped and the whole process moves quicker.

Just make it $7.25 plus $.75 fee (a Pawlenty ploy).

It actually went really well, thanks for asking. I literally had some students come up to me and hug me and thanked us for giving them a spot to tailgate, as they've never had one. It would get bigger and better every week, would love for the U to do something like this. I completely agree!

Here's the update I had posted with pics - it was great, I already saw some of the students change their profile pictures on Facebook to pictures with Tony Patterson, Ron Johnson, and Tellis Redmon.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ilgate-for-Others-to-Envy&p=569854#post569854

That's awesome. It won't happen overnight, but if they make every game the main event on campus all week long, it will go a long way toward getting kids at the games.

It's really cool to see Ron Johnson get so involved with the program. It would be great to see guys like Marion Barber III and Maroney at a game, as well.

Just make it $7.25 plus $.75 fee (a Pawlenty ploy).

Ah yes, don't even remind me of that one.

What a croc(good friends included)

Tell it like it really is some politician in the future. Learn the true definition of a tax.

How about charge $8 and then automatically give .75 per beer to each cashier? Don't have to worry about change, vendors get tipped and the whole process moves quicker.

Exactly. I may not be rich, but I have to say I'm one of the best tippers I know, usually tipping 50%+ on happy hours, 30%+ typically...however, at a concession, the last thing in my mind is tipping. It's different if they're vendors walking up and down the aisles, but not at a concession stand. It would be like tipping at McDonalds. There were no tip jars out either. If they really want the staff to make that money, just give it to them with an $8 price point.

There are probably all sorts of extra issues doing it that way. It probably isnt worth the hassle when they can just add more change and not worry about it.

As WHBBrewer put it when we discussed this topic last week, the U could screw up a one car funeral. Even if they made it $7.50 it would make more sense so it was $15 for two beers (a very common order). But since you can't even pay for more than two beers at once they guaranteed they would have to make change on every single cash order.

As far as tipping, that would be very uncommon in that atmosphere. Hawkers, yes. I've been at the Dome and once I tip a Hawker they will usually make a point to see if I need a beverage every so often. But just standing behind a counter handing out beer to whomever comes next??? No.

But - I just came up with a great idea I'm going to send to AD Teague. They should have a jar at those (and all) the counters to put change to donate to the Gary Tinsley Memorial Scholarship Fund! I'd gladly take no change to have it go to that!

Interesting how those people in the business have no idea what they are doing.

Interesting how those people in the business have no idea what they are doing.

:clap:

Similarly, I've learned that the backup QB is better than the starter on 95% of all football teams throughout high school to the NFL......

Top Bottom