Nadine Babu STrib Blog: Gopher Basketball Team Mediocre with Trevor Mbakwe....

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
....Would be Lost Without Him.

Anyone that saw the Gophers' loss to Dayton tonight probably has their stomach in knots after seeing Trevor Mbawke go down with a right knee injury. When I first saw that he was the player on the ground holding his knee, I was just hoping he was banged up a little and would be able to get up in walk it off. As I continued to watch, I knew that was not going to be the case. Mbakwe was helped off the court and could not put any weight on his leg. He began trying to, but you could just see the pain in his face. When you look at the tears, you had to wonder, is he crying because he's in pain, or because he knows this is a season ending injury?

http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/Nadine_Babu.html?source=error

I didn't wonder...that was clearly the look of loss.

GopherLady, Dr. Snarky asked me to pass this on to you as he is out of pocket. How many national championships have YOU won, and how dare YOU question Tubby's approach or results.

GopherLady, Dr. Snarky asked me to pass this on to you as he is out of pocket. How many national championships have YOU won, and how dare YOU question Tubby's approach or results.

Seriously? I would want someone to post a question like that for me too. I'm sorry, perhaps he could clarify my role to write about Gopher sports? I didn't know I wasn't able to voice my opinion unless I had won a NC. I'll ask Izzo to write one for me next time in his spare time.

I know no one is allowed to ever question Tubby, even losing 10 out of 11 games to finish last season, or after not winning one NCAA game in 4 seasons.

GopherLady said:
Seriously? I would want someone to post a question like that for me too. I'm sorry, perhaps he could clarify my role to write about Gopher sports? I didn't know I wasn't able to voice my opinion unless I had won a NC. I'll ask Izzo to write one for me next time in his spare time.

I know no one is allowed to ever question Tubby, even losing 10 out of 11 games to finish last season, or after not winning one NCAA game in 4 seasons.

I think he was being sarcastic.

GopherLady said:
I get those kind of comments all the time - and trust me, they are not sarcastic. I have no idea if this one was.

Jamalo = open Tubby Hater
Dr. Snarky = Dr. Don

well I think if were all being honest, we have alot of young guards and there going to take their lumps this year, we were going to have a lost like this sooner or later, probably won't be the last, will win games as well, but without Mbakwe its going to be a struggle, Dayton outplayed us they deserved it tonight, maybe we comeback if Mbakwe doesn't get hurt, but this team will be good next year and especially in two years when these guys are vets

Sorry; was indeed sarcasm. I figured someone needs to chastise any non-positive (even if truthful) posts since Dr. Snarky appears to be out of pocket.

Not a Tubby hater, but a believer that if you are the 10th-15th highest paid coach, you should deliver more than 2nd division finishes. The end of last season appears to have lit a spark under him, but it may be too little, too late. Maybe he'll surprise everyone and not play Eliason and Sampson extensively together (which I fear he will).

Awwww, jamalo loves me. He thinks of me all the time. He is stalking me. He is creeping me out. I'm flattered. :)

A team which can be taken down with the loss of one player is no team at all. BYU did pretty well for themselves last year after losing a pretty good player. We need a tournament win, and it is no excuses time. Obviously I hope Trevor just had a sprain that felt worse than it was and is back in soon, but if not, real competitors find a way to deal with adversity and if these players and this coach are worth their salt, they will make it happen with or without him.

bleedsmaroonandgold said:
A team which can be taken down with the loss of one player is no team at all. BYU did pretty well for themselves last year after losing a pretty good player. We need a tournament win, and it is no excuses time. Obviously I hope Trevor just had a sprain that felt worse than it was and is back in soon, but if not, real competitors find a way to deal with adversity and if these players and this coach are worth their salt, they will make it happen with or without him.

Wonder how they would have done without jimmer? Losing Davis would be more comparable to the gophers losing a different starter besides Trevor. Not their best player, that's jimmer.

Sorry; was indeed sarcasm. I figured someone needs to chastise any non-positive (even if truthful) posts since Dr. Snarky appears to be out of pocket.

Not a Tubby hater, but a believer that if you are the 10th-15th highest paid coach, you should deliver more than 2nd division finishes. The end of last season appears to have lit a spark under him, but it may be too little, too late. Maybe he'll surprise everyone and not play Eliason and Sampson extensively together (which I fear he will).

Thanks for the clarification - I get so many hate tweets/posts/mail - I just assumed you were being serious. I couldn't agree more. I don't think that many understand that you can be critical of Tubby, because of high expectations, but still supportive of him. It's weird - any other coach we've ever had you're allowed to question - but not Tubby.

You knew is someone was going to get hurt bad, it wouldn't be Rodney or Ralph, they don't play hard enough. Maybe Ralph should talk to his dad about reality and earn a way to the NBA, nows his chance, otherwise it's just a dream.

Top Bottom