Nadine Babu STrib Blog: Exhibition game a cause for concern, but also for optimism

I heard on the news last night that the trib is going to be charging to read their content online unless you subscribe to killing trees. As I understand you will be able to read a limited number of articles for free and then at some number they will ask for some money. Anyone know any more details or corrections? Thanks

Jon the way I understand it, readers get 20 free clicks per month and then hit a paywall. NPR said that the Star Tribune is considered a model for thriving after bankruptcy and adding revenue streams during the financial crisis. I camnt blame them for wanting to not give away their product for free for ever and I guess this rewards print subscribers asa they get open access to online content. Its reasons like this why I am impressed that Nadine and Chris Monter keep writing all of their articles on a free site.

Nadine writes for the trib and the link posted is a trib link. I did not click her story not wanting to waste one of my 20 clicks.

Seems like a terrible idea for the Strib. I too will be clicking on far fewer articles, which means those will not get the hits that advertisers demand. Wouldnt this hurt their advertising revenue in the long run?

Nadine writes for the trib and the link posted is a trib link. I did not click her story not wanting to waste one of my 20 clicks.

I think he was referring too the articles we do for GH - I'm sorry I'm not click-worthy!

Seems like a terrible idea for the Strib. I too will be clicking on far fewer articles, which means those will not get the hits that advertisers demand. Wouldnt this hurt their advertising revenue in the long run?

Honestly, I HATE this idea. I see the idea behind it, but I can spend 10 clicks just trying to find and article. This will not work, because people like me would never pay, we'd just get the headline or highlights on Twitter, and forget the story. It will hurt the distribution of information, and these well read writers will not be read.

The way I see it, it shouldn't be that hard to be profitable online without limiting links. From what I've seen there are ZERO ads on the strib website, why not start selling that?

The way I see it, it shouldn't be that hard to be profitable online without limiting links. From what I've seen there are ZERO ads on the strib website, why not start selling that?

Really? I got pop up ads all the time that drive me nuts. Like ones that you can't avoid!!! I think they have done a great job of selling ads.

No doubt the Strib will lose some hits. Would be interesting to see how much the PP hits increase.

Really? I got pop up ads all the time that drive me nuts. Like ones that you can't avoid!!! I think they have done a great job of selling ads.
I've never had pop-up ads on the strib site, granted I don't click around to find articles. But when I look at article pages there are 0 advertisements that I can see. But there is so much empty space on some article pages I find it ridiculous they cant put in some ads on the sides like facebook generally has. Maybe its just me who isn't seeing ads though because I use Firefox's AdBlock Plus.

Top Bottom