Mystery surrounding Brew's coaching hires?

Reaction score
Ever since Brewster's initial coaching staff was introduced three years ago, I've always been curious as to why he tends to hire assistants with which he has had little-to-no previous working relationship??

IIRC, he had not known Dunbar (other than his interview) prior to hiring him as OC in 2007. The same held true for Withers and the other 6-7 assistants he hired back then. This pattern has continued for most/all the replacements he's hired since then. I don't think he and Jedd Fisch were on the Broncos staff together at the same time.

For a guy with head coaching aspirations who has worked his entire adult life at big-time places such as UNC, Texas, Denver (NFL), San Diego (NFL), one might think he had built relationships with fellow assistants whom he would later target for his own staff down the road?

It's not like the Gophers are underpaying their assistants, like they did with the staffs under Mason, Wacker, Gutey, et al. If anything, the Gophers have tended to overpay their Brewster's assistants, at least by current Big 11 (not SEC) standards.

Maybe he gives the job to whom he believes is the best candidate available, rather than to a buddy (cronyism)?

Maybe he uses his relationships with other coaches for recommendations?

Maybe you just like stirring up the pot?

You are wrong. He has had long standing relationships with Withers, Cross and I believe Davis and Hightower as well.

He's just a chronic pessimistic who enjoys losing. ConferenceChamps that is.

I like the Horton hire but agree to some extent with conference champ. He has some people on his staff who shouldn't be coaching at the University of Minnesota. Funny thing is, I don't think it's pay related.

Ever since Brewster's initial coaching staff was introduced three years ago, I've always been curious as to why he tends to hire assistants with which he has had little-to-no previous working relationship??

IIRC, he had not known Dunbar (other than his interview) prior to hiring him as OC in 2007. The same held true for Withers and the other 6-7 assistants he hired back then. This pattern has continued for most/all the replacements he's hired since then. I don't think he and Jedd Fisch were on the Broncos staff together at the same time.

For a guy with head coaching aspirations who has worked his entire adult life at big-time places such as UNC, Texas, Denver (NFL), San Diego (NFL), one might think he had built relationships with fellow assistants whom he would later target for his own staff down the road?

It's not like the Gophers are underpaying their assistants, like they did with the staffs under Mason, Wacker, Gutey, et al. If anything, the Gophers have tended to overpay their Brewster's assistants, at least by current Big 11 (not SEC) standards.
Debbie Downer strikes again. Can't you find anything positive about Gopher football to post about?

I like the Horton hire but agree to some extent with conference champ. He has some people on his staff who shouldn't be coaching at the University of Minnesota. Funny thing is, I don't think it's pay related.

Who else besides Fisch is/was over their head? And what person on staff now has no business coaching the Gophers?

Easy there guys. ConferenceChamp is simply looking for new material. As such, approach such threads with caution.

Who else besides Fisch is/was over their head? And what person on staff now has no business coaching the Gophers?

Hightower and Lewis would not be on any other Big Ten staff based on coaching experience. Hammock questionable, great RB in college.

Check out other staffs in the Big Ten and find three more inexperienced, I checked Purdue, NW and Indiana. Only Indiana's TE's coach has similar, but more experience.

I think your entire premise is wrong. Let's examine:

Everitt Withers - worked with Brewster at TX
Jon Butler - worked with Brewster at TX
Tim Cross - worked with Brewster at TX
Dan Berezowitz - worked with Brewster at TX
Derek Lewis - knew Brewster at TX
Richard Hightower - knew Brewster at TX
Kevin Cosgrove - coached at Illinois when Brewster played there
Randy Taylor - coached at Illinois when Brewster played there
Ronnie Lee - knew Brewster for years

I think what he should have said is some of Brewsters assistants don't have the Division I experience that other coaches may have had connections too. I have nothing wrong with one or two young guys on staff. The Minnesota football staff has been to much of a proving ground for young coaches. I think Withers (D-backs) was the only assistant from Texas who wasn't a GA or player. One of the reasons I like the Horton hire, experience and teacher.

I think we can be pretty happy with the progress everywhere except at QB and WR. WR maybe even is OK, if you consider the youth. RB? I'm not sure yet, counting on freshmen and sophs can't present a very clear picture.

I think your entire premise is wrong. Let's examine:

Everitt Withers - worked with Brewster at TX
Jon Butler - worked with Brewster at TX
Tim Cross - worked with Brewster at TX
Dan Berezowitz - worked with Brewster at TX
Derek Lewis - knew Brewster at TX
Richard Hightower - knew Brewster at TX
Kevin Cosgrove - coached at Illinois when Brewster played there
Randy Taylor - coached at Illinois when Brewster played there
Ronnie Lee - knew Brewster for years

So what are you saying? No mystery? :D

Hightower and Lewis would not be on any other Big Ten staff based on coaching experience. Hammock questionable, great RB in college.

Check out other staffs in the Big Ten and find three more inexperienced, I checked Purdue, NW and Indiana. Only Indiana's TE's coach has similar, but more experience.

I think you're grasping a little here. Yes, they're young, but they all seem to be doing well and have brief but good resumes. I'll go for wishing Brewster had added a little more experience, but these aren't bad coaches. I think Brewster traded some experience for young coaches that would be good recruiters.

I know from one Gopher WR's dad that going from McDonald to Hightower was a huge step down.

I know from one Gopher WR's dad that going from McDonald to Hightower was a huge step down.

From reports I've read/heard, McDonald was a great coach and was liked very much. It's hard to replace a guy like that, but it doesn't make Hightower a bad coach. If he didn't belong on the staff, Brewster most likely would have replaced him as he's too driven to not have.

Can't you find anything positive about Gopher football to post about?

Is there something positive to post about the Gopher football right now? If so, someone should post it because I'd like to read it..

Is there something positive to post about the Gopher football right now? If so, someone should post it because I'd like to read it..

I'm sure most of us know what you intend to do is read it and then rip it. Not wasting more than two sentences on you.

Well, how about the fact that the amount of young talent in the program right now is greater than it has been at anytime in recent memory.

Top Bottom