Myron Tweet re- laptop

"Do I think it's dragging on longer than it should? Sure I do but where does anyone get off complaining to the police about an investigation because it's affecting our basketball team? That's a joke."

Amen to that. Would anyone give a rat's a*s about the length of this investigation if the suspect was Joe Average College Student? Contrary to what the folks who only care about getting Royce back on the court for their own selfish reasons (more potential Gopher W's) believe, the world does not revolve around Royce White and/or Gopher basketball. We need to accept that, as does Royce.

I guess this doesn't surprise me. I took the time to email Maturi and he indicated the laptop incident is one of several things they are dealing with, with Royce.

This is exactly what I have been posting for several weeks. The laptop investigation may still be on-going, but the UMPD can't be spending any significant amount of time on it (if any at all).

The Administration is probably now in the midst of their own internal review process to determine what discipline to mete out to White. In addition to any involvement he might have had in the laptop incident, the U will be considering his guilty plea in the MOA theft, and any other infractions that he might have committed that we don't know about and are not public information.

The most logical conclusion that we can come to is that since the Administration is not handling this matter with any sense of urgency, it is unlikely that White is going to be allowed to play this year. Maturi has pretty much acknowledged as much in several of his public comments.

Maturi has pretty much acknowledged as much in several of his public comments.
You've said this a number of times, and I've asked "where have you heard this" several times.

Any link/evidence/proof that Maturi has ever said he doesn't see Royce playing this year?

Public Info

Wow, it's one thing to post Maturi's e-mail to complain about something the athletic dept is doing, but really guys, posting and writing to the chief of the UMPD to complain that they are investigating something too long?

Do I think it's dragging on longer than it should? Sure I do but where does anyone get off complaining to the police about an investigation because it's affecting our basketball team? That's a joke.

Regarding the email addresses, etc...

Public info is public info. It may be an insignificant case but access to University employees (Maturi), the Police and/or government is not out of bounds IMHO.

Any link/evidence/proof that Maturi has ever said he doesn't see Royce playing this year?

I don't remember seeing anything about Royce not playing this year, but I've accepted that he won't. I think everyone should.

As far as that goes I do remember him being quoted saying that Trevor should treat this as a redshirt year after making his suspension decision but Tubby indicated if the charges against him were dropped he would be reinstated immediately.

It's becoming hard not to think about next year.

I would take either of them back even if it is Feb. 1st, etc. Even if they can't get fully acclemated enough to start and play huge roles, they can provide some rebounding off the bench and that is what we need. In White's case he was never going to be here for 4 years under any circumstances, so there's no point in redshirting him at all. If by Feb. 1st he's ready to rejoin the team, let him do so. 1/3 of a season is still better then nothing, and as I said, we'll never see that 4th year. Mbakwe's a bit different. If he actually says he will stay through the 2011-2012 season, the redshirt is worth it. But I don't have that sense from the various things I've read, so I think the situation is the same, 1/3 of a season is better then nothing.

Mine too. More or less. ** If ** Royce did it he's not giving them up and they're not giving him up. They have video of who they believe are the suspects but no proof that one of them took it. At least these fools were smart enough not to be checking their facebooks with the stolen laptop under a video camera. It makes me wonder if the same group of kids that's on the surveilance video are on the Youtube videos. Lol.

Please join us for another episode of "As Dinkytown Turns", starring Royce White and his pals.

Gee, I wonder who the suspect is that won't cooperate?

I like how Myron makes fun of Royce at the end of the article by posting all of the bad athlete musicians who have put out music in the past. My guess is he is just jealous that Royce gets to go to the U, when Myron was probably rejected and had to go to MSU. If I were Tubby I wouldn't be to happy that one of the 2 gopher reporters in this market is making fun of one of your recruits in an article.

Yeah, that's the part that kills me. Some on here want to pillory the UMPD for dragging out this investigation too long and hurting White. The same people do not want to consider that the reason it is being drug out just may be because White is being very uncooperative with the UMPD.

Yeah, that's the part that kills me. Some on here want to pillory the UMPD for dragging out this investigation too long and hurting White. The same people do not want to consider that the reason it is being drug out just may be because White is being very uncooperative with the UMPD.

I don't necessarily back off from that stance. He may well be uncooperative. But it's still been 2 months. Either you have enough evidence to charge him or you don't. I don't really see what they think will happen by dragging this out. And I'm not saying he should even be let back on the team. But this particular incident should be resolved one way or the other.

I like how Myron makes fun of Royce at the end of the article by posting all of the bad athlete musicians who have put out music in the past. My guess is he is just jealous that Royce gets to go to the U, when Myron was probably rejected and had to go to MSU. If I were Tubby I wouldn't be to happy that one of the 2 gopher reporters in this market is making fun of one of your recruits in an article.

The line gets blurrier all the time, but I still designate a difference between a blog post and a regular article. This was done in a blog post and tongue in cheek. Frankly, Royce has some good natured ribbing coming.

I don't necessarily back off from that stance. He may well be uncooperative. But it's still been 2 months. Either you have enough evidence to charge him or you don't. I don't really see what they think will happen by dragging this out. And I'm not saying he should even be let back on the team. But this particular incident should be resolved one way or the other.

Theoretically suppose that they have video evidence and have been able to ascertain to a 99% chance that one of a group of four guys had to have taken the laptop. If none of the four guys are going to talk the case is going to remain open and the police are going to try and get one of them to squeal on another as far as who actually took it. This is how the investigation would carry out for any average citizen. The police don't have to make an exception and drop things because a star basketball player is involved.

Not that Myron is above an error in judgement ( lol ) but I think the article screams that he knows much more than he was able to reveal re: off the record comments.

Theoretically suppose that they have video evidence and have been able to ascertain to a 99% chance that one of a group of four guys had to have taken the laptop. If none of the four guys are going to talk the case is going to remain open and the police are going to try and get one of them to squeal on another as far as who actually took it. This is how the investigation would carry out for any average citizen. The police don't have to make an exception and drop things because a star basketball player is involved.

I'm not exactly sure how you could have video evidence that was 99% clear that one of them took it but not be able to tell which one. But even if that's true, that video evidence should be enough to charge them all with aiding and abetting a robbery or something. If you have good evidence charge one/all of them accordingly.

If not, what is going to change? Are they really going to spend police time and resources re-interviewing these kids over and over again until one of them flips on the others? This is a stolen laptop that was returned, not a bank robbery. No, Royce doesn't deserve special treatment. But I disagree with your assertion that it would be handled the same way for an average citizen. If it was any random student, they'd either be charged or the matter would be closed by now. This isn't really about basketball. If the evidence is as it seems it's enough for Tubby/Maturi to keep him off the team even if he's never charged with a crime.

Howeda7 I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Cases are held open all of the time, mainly because it costs the police nothing to keep them open. I also think that we have to keep in mind that this isn't the only factor keeping White from the team, as Joel Maturi has alluded to.

Howeda7 I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Cases are held open all of the time, mainly because it costs the police nothing to keep them open. I also think that we have to keep in mind that this isn't the only factor keeping White from the team, as Joel Maturi has alluded to.

Certainly cases are, but how many petty dorm thefts? I guess I just know enough people who had crap stolen from thier dorm and got nothing more then a "Sorry, you're SOL kid. Lock your door next time" out of the authorities, that the amount of time (seemingly) being spent on this particular case grinds my gears.

We're being unfair here. Doesn't anyone still remember the University Police in their decisive handling of the Miles Tarver Handicapped-Parking-Gate.

It makes me wonder if the same group of kids that's on the surveilance video are on the Youtube videos.

I wouldn't bet against this.

I work in the court system and I see this all the time. We are just getting cases that are being charged with offense dates from June of this year. This stuff takes a lot longer then you would think in many cases. Even a misdemeanor theft charge.

If White or anyone else is going to be charged it could be the police report has reached the city or county attorney's office which ever office handles U of M cases and they just haven't reviewed the report yet to determine if it is even worth charging the case.

We have great detectives at UMPD, but you can’t manufacture evidence or always compel enough cooperation to always get to the bottom of things. We take leads as far as they can go. Sometimes you don’t get a definitive answer. You can’t close and unsolved case, they are continued open pending further leads or information.
So let me get this straight:

They "can't manufacture" or "always compel enough cooperation to get the bottom of things." I thought that's the whole point of the legal process; you either have enough evidence to "compel" someone to cooperate, or else you have to cut them loose.

If they don't have anywhere to go with the "leads" they have, and as the Chief of Police himself stated, don't have a single suspect...how in God's name is Royce's name still involved in this?

This is totally ridiculous. They can sit around in this sort of limbo for 50 years if they want to.

"They can sit around in this sort of limbo for 50 years if they want to."

And they often do. It is not UMPD's job to clear White to play basketball. Tubby (or Maturi) could suit him up tonight if they want. If White is being uncooperative then I don't see why the UMPD should cut him any breaks. Cases remain open for decades- when they revisit them the first place you look is the identified suspects.

It is a tough situation but it is Tubby's situation not UMPDs. If he feels White is innocent, play him tonight.

"They can sit around in this sort of limbo for 50 years if they want to."

And they often do. It is not UMPD's job to clear White to play basketball. Tubby (or Maturi) could suit him up tonight if they want. If White is being uncooperative then I don't see why the UMPD should cut him any breaks. Cases remain open for decades- when they revisit them the first place you look is the identified suspects.

It is a tough situation but it is Tubby's situation not UMPDs. If he feels White is innocent, play him tonight.

I think given the fact that White has been named a suspect, even if it wasn't directly done by UMPD, they are at least obligated to come out at some point and say 'we don't expect to file any charges in this case at this time' or something to that effect. It doesn't close the book, but at least ends the indefinate limbo of 'he's a suspect in a crime that is still being investigated' which at least makes it appear that the U is obligated to keep him suspended until it is resolved, which it may never be. And I realize keeping cases open is common and doesn't really cost anything, but I would really like to know how many dorm petty theft cases they have open that are several months old? I'm guessing not many.

All we know is Royce was in the dorm when the laptop was taken and later returned. If being one of several hundred students in a building is cause to destroy a young man's career this is a farce. They have nothing on Royce other than him being one of several hundred possible suspects and so its time to mark this as a cold case and let Royce resume his basketball career.

I'm guessing they have thousands of these cases open. I agree though, that this one is different as the suspect has been identified in the media. However, if White is not cooperating with the police, I don't see why the UMPD would do anything. There are ramifications in every decision, personally I would rather have UM players cooperate with police investigations but that's just me.

Again, this is not about UMPD, it is about White. Tubby could play him tonight if he wanted just by standing up and saying he thinks he is innocent and will suspend him only if charges are laid.

Of course Tubby is worried about what would happen if he played and then got charged. At this point it is all about risk management.

Top Bottom