Myron Tweet re- laptop

Rouser

Reaction score
Why is this taking so long

U of M police on laptop burglary investigation: "Another month ... before it's concluded."

Just remember, where there's smoke, there's usually fire somewhere...I don't think anybody with the police are out to get White...He obviously put himself in another bad situation. Anybody who thinks this guy plays and contributes to the Gophers is mistaken. He's not gonna be our savior...Just move on without him!

Another month? That is pretty absurd. It's not a murder investigation, people.

This is beyond pathetic and it has little do with Royce White. A laptop theft in a dorm should not take a month to investigate, let alone 3. This is true whether it involves a random student, or an athlete. Either way, anyone being accused deserves some closure. How long would it take U police to investigate a serious crime like an assualt?

Honestly, if this was happening at Kentucky, UNC or any # of other schools and involved a star recruit, the matter would be settled long ago. I'm not suggesting letting him get away with it if he's guilty, but I would think Maturi and/or Tubby could throw a little weight around and get this matter settled in a timely manner if they were so inclined.

A possible reason that the investigation is being lengthened could be that there are other incidents and they are checking into to see if they are connected. I have no idea if there were other incidents but that could be a possibility.

There is no way that the UMPD is still investigating what happened. They are giving the media a convenient excuse to put them off while the Administration decides what to do about White.

The only thing that we know for sure is that if White was not involved, and he did not violate the Student Code of Conduct, or any other restrictions the Administration might have placed on him, the UMPD would have already made their investigation public. Otherwise, they and the Administration would be subject to severe criticism from the media as well as the State Legislature. I am betting that when the story is made public everyone will understand why it has taken so long.

There is no way the UMPD is still investigating what happened. They are giving the media a convenient excuse to put them off while the Administration decides what to do about White.

The only thing that we know for sure is that if White was not involved, and he did not violate the Student Code of Conduct or any other restrictions the Administration might have placed on him, the UMPD would have already made that public. Otherwise they and the Administration would be subject to severe criticism for their actions by the media as well as the Governor and State Legislature. I am betting that when the story is made public everyone will understand why it has taken so long.

I guess that's possible, but it doesn't seem to me that the UMPD and athletic department would ever be coordinated enough to help each out in that way. And White had enough other issues that Tubby/Maturi don't need this excuse. If they want to delay thier decision they can easily do so by saying they want to ensure all of his other issues are resolved. It seems far more likely that UMPD is either horribly disorginized in this investigation or is going way overboard and not closing it out until they actually interview all x-hundred people who were in the dorm that night. Either way it's ridiculous.

I'll ask the same question I asked on a different thread about this: has White's attorney permitted White to be interviewed by the UMPD? IIRC, before White pled on the shoplifting and assault charges, Tyler said he'd advised White not to talk to the UMPD about the laptop theft.

If White hasn't talked to the police, it's no great surprise that the case is still held open. There's nothing that compels White to talk to UMPD ... and there's nothing that compels UMPD to close the case without an interview. Stalemate.

they could get an interview out of him in seconds, if they had proof. But spending 3 months trying to pin one kid is not police work , it is a witch hunt or profiling. Like i've said a million times. UMPD are just one step above rent a cops.

Since this is taking so long I can certainly understand the frustration of basketball fans.

For myself, not having a clue how complicated this investigation may have become, I have to decide whether I should put my faith in the police or opt to side with a basketball player I'd like to see back on the team. Since I can see know reason why the police should want to drag out this process, I have to assume the police feel that futher investigation is in the best interest of the university community.

As to whether Royce should be allowed to play, or at least practise, until the matter is settled, I leave up to Tubby.

I'll ask the same question I asked on a different thread about this: has White's attorney permitted White to be interviewed by the UMPD? IIRC, before White pled on the shoplifting and assault charges, Tyler said he'd advised White not to talk to the UMPD about the laptop theft.

If White hasn't talked to the police, it's no great surprise that the case is still held open. There's nothing that compels White to talk to UMPD ... and there's nothing that compels UMPD to close the case without an interview. Stalemate.

After the court appearance and plea for the MOA charges, didn't the attorney say something about cooperating with the laptop investigation? I think he also mentioned something about having White viewing a videotape the police had. Could they be pressuring White to identify someone on a tape and he can't or won't identify?

It sure looks like there's more at play than a simple theft investigation. Seriously doubt contacting the chief to make sure we have more rebounding and inside scoring is a good idea.

calling them about just the royce thing would be stupid. But our taxes pay them, and if it takes this long for a worthless laptop investigation, how long would it take for a REAL crime. I just don't want my tax dollars going to pay for cops to be lazy and stretch out investigations for 3 months.

Does Royce take a redshirt?

Honestly, its getting pretty late to bring him back. Unthinkable going into the season, but is there a chance our 5 star recruit takes a redshirt? Crazy.

Honestly, its getting pretty late to bring him back. Unthinkable going into the season, but is there a chance our 5 star recruit takes a redshirt? Crazy.
I bet he'll be gone instead of taking a redshirt...after this mess going on, I don't know if many will blame him.

ithink im going to write 'racial profile of the week safety alert' greg hestness and just straight up ask him why its taking 3 months to investigate a stolen laptop that was returned 2 months ago.

I guess this doesn't surprise me. I took the time to email Maturi and he indicated the laptop incident is one of several things they are dealing with, with Royce.

If it takes another month, there is no reason for him to come back this year.

they could get an interview out of him in seconds, if they had proof. But spending 3 months trying to pin one kid is not police work , it is a witch hunt or profiling. Like i've said a million times. UMPD are just one step above rent a cops.

This is correct. I am sure 20 laptops are stolen per day at the U and the investigation lasts approximately 10 minutes. The UMPD think they have a live one here because Royce White was in the building at the time.

Ask a Minneapolis cop (if you know any) what they think of UMPD officers. Let me give you a hint: UMPD gets paid more for doing zero work.

I'm not picking a side here, but I'm going to throw out a couple of things. Because of budgetary reasons, UMPD is being relied upon by Minneapolis Cops to do much more work in the whole area around the University. They are responding to calls in Dinkytown, Marcy-Holmes, the West Bank, Cedar-Riverside and Prospect Park more than ever.

Some people might argue that that work is more important than whether RW plays basketball this year.

that still doesnt mean a laptop case where the laptop was returned 2 months ago should still be grilling a non charged non suspect

Something tells me that Royce was with the people who stole the laptop but he wasn't the person who actually took it.

that still doesnt mean a laptop case where the laptop was returned 2 months ago should still be grilling a non charged non suspect

actually, i think the laptop was returned to the girl within days of being taken. not even a full month as you were suggesting above.

also, i read that royce and his lawyer offered to take a lie detector test for the UMPD. the UMPD declined that offer. my question is why did they decline the offer? if you have a person of interest of is willing to take a lie detector test to prove/disprove their innocence then why not take them up on it and shut the frickin' case already.

the constant delay by the UMPD seems more and more deliberate everyday and is becoming a joke. as someone else mentioned in this thread it seems more and more like a "witch hunt" by the UMPD.

i am sorry, but the wheels of justice do not turn this slow even in "everyday society" for a stolen laptop that was returned a few days after it was taken.

i am sorry, but the wheels of justice do not turn this slow even in "everyday society" for a stolen laptop that was returned a few days after it was taken.

Which was the jist of my email to Maturi. I don't see a problem with them doing as they see fit, and we certainly aren't entitled to know exactly what the issues are with Royce and his return to the team, but please let's not bullsh-t around here with the answers. In so many words.

Maybe the investigator is on vacation til the 1st of the year.

actually,
also, i read that royce and his lawyer offered to take a lie detector test for the UMPD. the UMPD declined that offer. my question is why did they decline the offer? if you have a person of interest of is willing to take a lie detector test to prove/disprove their innocence then why not take them up on it and shut the frickin' case already.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe that lie detector tests are generally given by municipal law enforcement agencies in the state of Minnesota as the results are not admissible in court. I would be surprised if the UMPD has any polygraph equipment or operators. The test would likely have to be given by the BCA, whom I doubt would get involved with a crime of this magnitude. Pretty small potatoes for them.

Wow, it's one thing to post Maturi's e-mail to complain about something the athletic dept is doing, but really guys, posting and writing to the chief of the UMPD to complain that they are investigating something too long?

Do I think it's dragging on longer than it should? Sure I do but where does anyone get off complaining to the police about an investigation because it's affecting our basketball team? That's a joke.

If the laptop was returned, the girl should just drop the charges and then we're done. Help out your team.

Top Bottom