Myron Tweet re- laptop

Before anyone gets their undies in too much of a bundle from the Asst Police Chief's email. Maturi indicated to me that - aside - from the laptop investigation both Tubby and Maturi are in complete agreement that Royce has a lot of work to do before rejoining the basketball team stemming from violations of several other team rules.

There's a lot more going on than we all know about. It's my contention they're using the laptop incident as a smokescreen for everything else that's gone on. Which is why I don't believe we'll see Royce play this year.

Before anyone gets their undies in too much of a bundle from the Asst Police Chief's email. Maturi indicated to me that - aside - from the laptop investigation both Tubby and Maturi are in complete agreement that Royce has a lot of work to do before rejoining the basketball team stemming from violations of several other team rules.

There's a lot more going on than we all know about. It's my contention they're using the laptop incident as a smokescreen for everything else that's gone on. Which is why I don't believe we'll see Royce play this year.

I don't even think that they are using it as a smokescreen. The laptop theft is simply an incident that drifted into public consciousness through the media. Tubby and Maturi have both stated that White has many things to work through before being allowed to participate as a member of the basketball team, and if they had their druthers I'm sure both would have preferred the information not to go public. The fact that this case is open is not very likely to be what is holding back from being reinstated.

I don’t have the time or interest to read blogs, but if you wanted to pass on the investigative status of the Territorial burglary, it is as follows:

First it would have served no investigative purpose for UMPD to name Royce White or anyone else as a suspect in an open investigation and never did.

After 35 years of police service, 28 at the city and 7 at the University I know a few things. The evidence is what it is. We have great detectives at UMPD, but you can’t manufacture evidence or always compel enough cooperation to always get to the bottom of things. We take leads as far as they can go. Sometimes you don’t get a definitive answer. You can’t close and unsolved case, they are continued open pending further leads or information. That is the most common outcome in all police agencies. That is not a satisfying outcome, but that is the reality. When someone becomes the subject of speculation in public, we’d much prefer to definitively charge or clear that person. It is not always possible.

Greg Hestness

Assistant Vice President
Chief of Police
University of Minnesota

Chief Hestness,

Thanks for taking the time to clear the air regarding the investigation and why they case is still open. Thank you GopherHoops for passing along.

the police are going to try and get one of them to squeal on another as far as who actually took it. This is how the investigation would carry out for any average citizen.

This hits the nail right on the head. This case never needs to be closed. And many are left open for longer.

The police have real leverage in this instance because one of the "witnesses" (if it's White) has a deadline that the average Joe would not have. The longer the police hold out the more time White (if it's him) misses and that only hurts him.

The police don't care, the other "suspects" don't care, the laptop owner doesn't care, only White (if it's him) cares and if he want to "protect" his buddies then he has only himself to blame.

Now on the other hand, the police are very capable of being vindictive enough just to teach this "guy" a life lesson by dragging this thing out. White could be perfectly innocent but if he gave the UMPD some sass, I have little doubt they could easily show this guy what power they have by dragging this thing out. That's not to indict the entire force but we all know how the boys in blue tend to cover each others backside...or have I been watching too much TV?

The police don't care, the other "suspects" don't care, the laptop owner doesn't care, only White (if it's him) cares and if he want to "protect" his buddies then he has only himself to blame.

What's been bothering me today about this is why didn't one of Royce's buddies step up and say he did it to protect Royce? More than likely whoever would get a little kick in the ass, provided it's a first time and that's about it.

What's been bothering me today about this is why didn't one of Royce's buddies step up and say he did it to protect Royce? More than likely whoever would get a little kick in the ass, provided it's a first time and that's about it.

That is the same thing as asking why Tiger's girl friends didn't all keep quiet about their sexual relationships with him. In case you can't figure it out, whoever White was with in the dorm are no more his "buddies" than any of the women Tiger was with were his "girl friends".

If this thread proves anything, it is that White has a very long way to go before he steps onto the Williams Arena basketball court in a Gopher uniform. Given all of the issues that he needs to resolve, the only real question is the length of his suspension. There doesn't appear to be any way that he becomes eligible in time to help the Gophers this year. It will be very surprising if he is not expelled from school altogether.

Top Bottom