Myron chat: Less confident Tubby will leave; Chip may play fball; UW to Final 4

Chip received Class 5A All-State Football Team Honorable Mention. He only played football one year in high school.

Let's not act like that qualifies him to be a D1 football player.

You seem to be arguing for the fact that Chip could play D1. One year of HS football and he's an all state honorable mention player!?!? Not to mention he actually played in a state that has excellent football. I'd say that's pretty impressive and he could thrive under some more experience and coaching. I'm not saying he'd be great, but he can't be any worse than some of the clowns Brew had out there.

No I'm not arguing that. My understanding was he was a better WR than defensive back. Maybe he would be great, who knows, but it's unlikely. If you ask Tubby he's got a long ways to go in defending guys on the basketball court, covering receivers is not as easy as you may think.

Class 5A All-State Football Team
Offense
Pos. Player School Ht. Wt. Cl.
WR Glenn Coleman West Jefferson 6-2 205 Sr.
WR Wes Briscoe Central 6-3 170 Sr.
WR D’haquille Williams East St. John 6-3 190 Jr.
OL Chet Hebert Shaw 6-3 290 Jr.
OL Andre Huval St. Thomas More 6-3 310 Sr.
OL Gregory Robinson Thibodaux 6-6 290 Jr.
OL Wayne Hendricks West Monroe 6-2 244 Sr.
OL Casey D’Angelo St. Paul’s 6-2 250 Sr.
QB Will Briscoe Central 6-3 180 Sr.
RB Dante’ Butler Brother Martin 5-10 205 Jr.
RB Rusty Borne South Lafourche 5-10 180 Sr.
RB Alfred Blue Hahnville 6-2 205 Sr.
PK Justin Manton St. Amant 6-0 190 Jr.
ATH Trovon Reed Thibodaux 6-1 185 Sr.
Defense
Pos. Player School Ht. Wt. Cl.
DL Torrance Benjamin Westgate 6-0 290 Sr.
DL Houston Bates St. Paul’s 6-2 235 Sr.
DL Jordan Allen West Monroe 6-6 295 Sr.
DL Risean Broussard LaGrange 6-2 290 Jr.
LB Philip Helmstetter Rummel 6-1 225 Sr.
LB Chris Randle Rummel 5-10 195 Sr.
LB Jonathan Tyson West Monroe 6-1 241 Jr.
LB Justin Lasseigne South Lafourche 5-10 220 Jr.
DB Tyrann Mathieu St. Augustine 5-10 175 Sr.
DB Carvin Johnson Rummel 6-1 190 Sr.
|DB Eric Reid Dutchtown 6-3 215 Sr.
DB Bakari Hollier Acadiana 5-10 185 Jr.
P Cody Mandell Acadiana 6-2 200 Sr.
KR Otis Jacobs Covington 5-10 175 Sr.
OUTSTANDING PLAYER OFFENSE: Will Briscoe, Central
OUTSTANDING PLAYER DEFENSE: Philip Helmstetter, Archbishop Rummel
COACH OF THE YEAR: Jay Roth, Archbishop Rummel
HONORABLE MENTION: Justin Ginyard, Ouachita; Ricky McCarthy, Ouachita; Ethan Oddo, Jesuit; James Shoulder, Higgins; Brian Ensminger, Hahnville; Cobie Savoie, Central Lafourche; Jordan Bennett, Captain Shreve; Bryce Ray, Captain Shreve; Darius Edwards, LaGrange; Bubba Reeves, West Monroe; Chip Armelin, Sulphur; Will Hassien, Sulphur; Leon Francois, Barbe; Thomas Gumpert, St. Thomas More; Sammy Scofield, St. Thomas More; Stanley Lyons, H.L. Bourgeois; David Vest, Central; John Paul Luckett, Catholic; Zack Oliver, Catholic; Brad Nelson, Catholic; DeMarko Baldwin, Archbishop Shaw; Byron Gautier, Hahnville; Kenneth Bourgeois, Jesuit, Jordan Thibodeaux, Archbishop Shaw; Dustin Edwards, New Iberia; Ashton Duhe, Destrehan; Andrew Murphy Captain Shreve; Rafe Plaisance, South Lafourche; Dillon Day, West Monroe; Paul Turner, West Monroe; Lawrence Breaud, Archbishop Shaw; Michael Guillory, Barbe; Blair Broussard, Acadiana; Troy Brooks, Southwood; Tyler Cain, West Monroe; Derrick Milton, Pineville; Marc Raziano, Archbishop Rummel; Kevin Berard, Barbe; Diontae Spencer, Westgate; Kendall Williams, Barbe; DeAngelo Brooks, Airline; Ian Boudreaux, Acadiana; Chuck Hunter, West Monroe; Jamal Wilson, Higgins; Damien Jacobs, H.L. Bourgeois; Brandon Smith, Central Lafourche; Logan Hamilton, Barbe; Andrew Auler, Comeaux; Samer Mahgoub, West Monroe; Teshadi Talton, West Monroe.

If Wisconsin somehow gets placed in the Madison regional I think they will fair fairly well. If not I am thinking Sweet 16 at best.

Not sure where the perception comes from that the Badgers can't win on the road. They have the best winning percentage on the road in the Big Ten since Ryan has been the coach.

It is not a newsflash that they are not as good on the road as they are at home. Nobody is, especially in the Big 10. There were two games on the road in the Big 10 this year they could have won and two they certainly could have lost. As usual, things have a way of evening themselves out over a season. 13-5 is a very good record in the conference this year.

OSU played a great game yesterday and is a worthy conference champion. They deserve all the accolades they are getting. They have a perfect combination this year. They have some great 4 year players combined with a stellar one and done. By all accounts, this should be their year. They will be extremely young next year. Certainly very talented, but very young.

Anyone else the chant by osu fans late in the game "Where's jordan taylor?" Even the announcers thought it was pretty good!

I just have to laugh at Myron. First he says he thinks there is a good posibility that Tubby will leave after this year then Tubby flat out says he will be here until he retires and Myron now says he is less confident that Tubby is leaving. What an idiot.

Not sure where the perception comes from that the Badgers can't win on the road. They have the best winning percentage on the road in the Big Ten since Ryan has been the coach.

The Badgers have been winless on the road against Big Ten teams who get a high (i.e., better than #8) seed in the NCAA tourney since 2004. Then in the NCAA tourney, Bo has a grand total of one win against teams seeded higher than 9th, and that win was against Florida State (hardly a basketball powerhouse). Now maybe Bo is partly a victim of his own success, but there's a reason UW has only won one Big Ten title since 2004, and everyone knows it's not because of how the Badgers play at the Kohl Center.

GVB: They have some great 4 year players combined with a stellar one and done.

By reference to a stellar one and done, you certainly couldn't mean Sullinger, do you? After all, according to dboy, Sullinger is overrated.

GVB: They have some great 4 year players combined with a stellar one and done.

By reference to a stellar one and done, you certainly couldn't mean Sullinger, do you? After all, according to dboy, Sullinger is overrated.

Come on Dr. We all know that NBA executives and scouts will be fooled by all of his junk rebounds and waste a draft pick on him. Amazing that people who work in basketball for a living can't see through him.

The Badgers have been winless on the road against Big Ten teams who get a high (i.e., better than #8) seed in the NCAA tourney since 2004. Then in the NCAA tourney, Bo has a grand total of one win against teams seeded higher than 9th, and that win was against Florida State (hardly a basketball powerhouse). Now maybe Bo is partly a victim of his own success, but there's a reason UW has only won one Big Ten title since 2004, and everyone knows it's not because of how the Badgers play at the Kohl Center.

OSU 2005-2011 33-27 on the road.
UW 2005-2011 31-29 on the road.

As I said, there is nothing to indicate the Badgers can't win away from the Kohl Center.

As for the NCAA, you play who you play. I am sure if OSU wins the title by beating a bunch of low seeds because upsets occur in their bracket that they will give back the title.

Not that I have anything against OSUfan or GVBadger, but their lively discussion is a welcome respite from all the posts about the problems we are having. For that, I would like to thank them. :D

OSU 2005-2011 33-27 on the road.
UW 2005-2011 31-29 on the road.

As I said, there is nothing to indicate the Badgers can't win away from the Kohl Center.

As for the NCAA, you play who you play. I am sure if OSU wins the title by beating a bunch of low seeds because upsets occur in their bracket that they will give back the title.

Why are you so defensive?

It is not a newsflash that they are not as good on the road as they are at home. Nobody is, especially in the Big 10. There were two games on the road in the Big 10 this year they could have won and two they certainly could have lost. As usual, things have a way of evening themselves out over a season. 13-5 is a very good record in the conference this year.

OSU played a great game yesterday and is a worthy conference champion. They deserve all the accolades they are getting. They have a perfect combination this year. They have some great 4 year players combined with a stellar one and done. By all accounts, this should be their year. They will be extremely young next year. Certainly very talented, but very young.
The perception comes from reality. They are an elite team at home. They are a 20-35 team away from home. I've never met a fanbase so offended by me saying I wouldn't be shocked by the sweet 16.

The perception comes from reality. They are an elite team at home. They are a 20-35 team away from home. I've never met a fanbase so offended by me saying I wouldn't be shocked by the sweet 16.

Where are you getting 20-35? Just curious.

31-29 in the last 7 years on the road in the Big 10. That pretty much dispels the can't play on the road theory. One team is better over that time period.

I am sure Tubby is frustrated with the practice facility issue, but I don't think he ever wanted to move. But he is smart enough to know that you don't get your practice facility built by making undying statements of love for the program with no strings attached. (It actually might work here, but that is not how it is done anywhere else.)
Additionally, Myron just is not smart enough to figure out anything that complicated.
The problem in building the practice facility is that naming rights for a basketball practice facility just are not that commercially important because no game will ever be broadcast from there. So the lead donor they are looking for basically has to do it for the good of the program, not their own commercial promotion or ego gratification, not that many fans will see the name on the building either, so it is not a big ego builder like the Kohl center.
I am starting to think they will have a better chance to replace Williams Arena, and it is getting to the point I think it is a good idea. I never thought I would say that, but it is old and unfixable. If you actually get in the upper deck you just about get vertigo.

I don't think Chip's upside in basketball is nearly what it is in football, or as close as it could be in football. I hope he plays his best sport whatever that is.

The Barn has one of the lowest upper decks in any arena anywhere. You might want to see your doctor about your vertigo.

Where are you getting 20-35? Just curious.

31-29 in the last 7 years on the road in the Big 10. That pretty much dispels the can't play on the road theory. One team is better over that time period.

20-35 in the nation is probably a rough estimate. UW is consistently very good, that is why every W/L stat that covers a number of years that you will look at will make them look good compared to the vast majority of other schools in a sport where parity affects virtually everyone and results in a down year at some point. But in any given year, 20-35 might be a fair estimate for UW considering how they perform in the NCAA tourney - even though they make it every year, they average 1.3 NCAA tourney wins under Bo (12 wins in 9 years), so they are on average 2 & out, which puts them in the 17-32 range. What better estimate can you get for how a team performs (compared to the best of the best) away from home than the NCAA tournament?

Wisconsin's going to make the Final Four?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..................

No, wait......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Man, I never get tired of being right.

Yet another sterling prediction, Myron.

1. He's been banging the 'Tubby will leave because every job is better than MN' drum for at least 3 years, and he has zero credibility left on this subject.

2. I have no issue with the report on Chip, but I hope he stays with basetkball.

3. Wisconsin has flamed out year after year under Bo. I can't recall them ever advancing past the Sweet 16 in this century and I think they've only reached it once or twice at most. Currently, they are not even remotely considered one of the 6-7 main favorites, despite their ranking.

Finally, Myron bends over backwards to tell us how very much he is not a fan of the Gophers (because he has way too much journalistic integrity of course) and he seems to like to go the extra mile with stupid picks like this. But I'm sure the beat writer in Bloomington will go out of his way to pick Purdue too.

In terms of Wisconsin, you might want to look at the 2000 NCAA Final Four teams. I believe Wisky made it that year. Not sure if Bo was coaching then though....

I'm just glad I finally get a break from looking at Bo's Herman Munster facial expressions during games...it's hard to stomach at times

In terms of Wisconsin, you might want to look at the 2000 NCAA Final Four teams. I believe Wisky made it that year. Not sure if Bo was coaching then though....

I'm just glad I finally get a break from looking at Bo's Herman Munster facial expressions during games...it's hard to stomach at times

Nope, he wasn't.

Nope, he wasn't.

Correct.

And for many who love to rip on Tubby for not being "as successful as Bo" ...

Record 4 years prior at Wisconsin: 74-54 (.578)
Record 4 years prior at Minnesota: 58-66 (.467)

10 seasons at Wisconsin (Bo Ryan): 242-91 (.727) -------> 25.78% Improvement
4 seasons at Minnesota (Tubby Smith): 80-52 (.606) -------> 29.76% Improvement

So really, they have both improved each program very similarily. Bo took over a good program and made it better, Tubby took over an average program and made it better.

Bo had a very nice head start on Tubby, but Minnesota has actually improved more with Tubby than Bo Wisconsin has improved with Bo

Bo took over two seasons after that final four and has had the following tournament runs:

Elite 8 once
Sweet 16 three times
Second round five teams
first round once

So, again, enough of the "Bo coaches circles around Tubby" argument ... it is not really valid
(Not to mention they have gone 3-3 against each other while at UMN and UW.)

Ya know, it sucked losing last night, and I was pissed we lost, but then I remembered it could be much worse. Ya know I could be a Goofer fan. I could watch my team not be in the Rose Bowl in 50 years, and my only good year in basketball get vacated because the teams players were illiterate. Damn, must suck that you get so much pleasure out of watching your rival lose, but what the heck good for ya skippy. Yeah, ya can't front on that.

Ya know, it sucked losing last night, and I was pissed we lost, but then I remembered it could be much worse. Ya know I could be a Goofer fan. I could watch my team not be in the Rose Bowl in 50 years, and my only good year in basketball get vacated because the teams players were illiterate. Damn, must suck that you get so much pleasure out of watching your rival lose, but what the heck good for ya skippy. Yeah, ya can't front on that.

Let me get this straight. It's pathetic that Gopher fans are celebrating the embarrassing defeat of their biggest rival on a Gopher basketball message board, but it's cool trolling said Gopher basketball message board reading up on what Gopher fans think about said defeat? Whatever you say, Bucky.

2244695618_da4b90938f.jpg

Top Bottom