Myron chat: Less confident Tubby will leave; Chip may play fball; UW to Final 4

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In Myron's chat today:

[Comment From BrennanBrennan: ]
Do you see Tubby bolting for green pastures when the season ends?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:15 Brennan
12:17

Myron P. Medcalf:
Not as much anymore. This thing just keeps getting worse. Can't imagine he's still a top target for any team that may have an opening. At the same time, he can leave without owing the university a dime after this season.

I'm far less confident than I was a few weeks ago that a team will pay him $2 million or more.

[Comment From Walter JonesWalter Jones: ]
If you look at Chip Armelin's body language he appears to me to be the next player to announce his departure have you heard anything?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:20 Walter Jones
12:21

Myron P. Medcalf:
Haven't heard a thing. But I'm sure he's frustrated. He actually says he might consider playing football next season. Not sure Tubby would let him but he was a good player in Louisiana.

[Comment From Jeremy HJeremy H: ]
Who are your final four picks?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:28 Jeremy H
12:29

Myron P. Medcalf:
Right now .. and this will probably change in the coming weeks .. Wisconsin, Pitt, Duke and Notre Dame

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...DUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUCDEaLDyE7DyaU

Go Gophers!!

In Myron's chat today:

[Comment From BrennanBrennan: ]
Do you see Tubby bolting for green pastures when the season ends?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:15 Brennan
12:17

Myron P. Medcalf:
Not as much anymore. This thing just keeps getting worse. Can't imagine he's still a top target for any team that may have an opening. At the same time, he can leave without owing the university a dime after this season.

I'm far less confident than I was a few weeks ago that a team will pay him $2 million or more.

[Comment From Walter JonesWalter Jones: ]
If you look at Chip Armelin's body language he appears to me to be the next player to announce his departure have you heard anything?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:20 Walter Jones
12:21

Myron P. Medcalf:
Haven't heard a thing. But I'm sure he's frustrated. He actually says he might consider playing football next season. Not sure Tubby would let him but he was a good player in Louisiana.

[Comment From Jeremy HJeremy H: ]
Who are your final four picks?
Friday March 4, 2011 12:28 Jeremy H
12:29

Myron P. Medcalf:
Right now .. and this will probably change in the coming weeks .. Wisconsin, Pitt, Duke and Notre Dame

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...DUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUCDEaLDyE7DyaU

Go Gophers!!

That's 60 seconds of my life that I'll never get back. Never before has someone (MM) known so little about everything.

Armelin Is On Basketball Scholarship

So he would count AGAINST the football scholarship limit (85) if he wanted to play Div I football.

I would love for Kill to find him a scholarship. From looking at this guys athleticism, size, and attitude....if he can hit (Which I don't know because I haven't seen much tape of him) I think he has a higher upside in football than basketball.

The only way I want Armelin leaving the U of M basketball team is if it is to go play for the U of M football team.

I thought I read somewhere he turned down a football scholarship from LSU. I could be wrong

Wisconsin's going to make the Final Four?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..................

No, wait......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I'm having a very difficult time understanding what exactly Myron said above that was so preposterous.

1) He gave his opinion, nothing more on if he thought Tubby would leave. He said the recent slide by the team might make it less likely for a top school to target him.

2) He reported that Chip was considering football and that he was a good HS player.

3) Picked Wisconsin and Notre Dame for the final four.

Not sure how any of these can be considered that controversial...

1) Certainly our recent slide is not affecting Tubby in a positive way in terms of his perception. Not a stretch at all to think it could cause some reservations out there from other schools, especially ones who are looking for a guy to turn a team around and make them a national contender, which he hasn't done here yet.

2) I can totally see Chip thinking about football, and the fact is he was a good player in HS.

3) Sure, ND and WIS aren't favorites for the FF, but hardly a stretch to say a top 15-team can get there.

I'm having a very difficult time understanding what exactly Myron said above that was so preposterous.

1) He gave his opinion, nothing more on if he thought Tubby would leave. He said the recent slide by the team might make it less likely for a top school to target him.

2) He reported that Chip was considering football and that he was a good HS player.

1) Certainly our recent slide is not affecting Tubby in a positive way in terms of his perception. Not a stretch at all to think it could cause some reservations out there from other schools, especially ones who are looking for a guy to turn a team around and make them a national contender, which he hasn't done here yet.

2) I can totally see Chip thinking about football, and the fact is he was a good player in HS.

3) Sure, ND and WIS aren't favorites for the FF, but hardly a stretch to say a top 15-team can't get there.

Myron is the current "Dan Monson" of the Gopher Hole. Whether he speaks or he is silent, whether he writes favorably or not - he's a bum. Personally I don't think Myron is very polished but he does give the Gophs a fair amount of coverage and the tweeting does give discussion fodder. People should realize that tweeting is not journalism and isn't meant to be.

I think people are being a little bit hard on the Beave. I don't think anything in that chat is too farfetched or out of bounds. I'm not picking UW for the Final Four, but I can see where a person might.

I don't like the idea of losing Chip. Sand off the rough edges, work on a few things, and you've got a really good basketball player. He's got all-conference potential. Losing him would be a(nother) blow (in a long, tedious line of blows).

3) Sure, ND and WIS aren't favorites for the FF, but hardly a stretch to say a top 15-team can't get there.

1. He's been banging the 'Tubby will leave because every job is better than MN' drum for at least 3 years, and he has zero credibility left on this subject.

2. I have no issue with the report on Chip, but I hope he stays with basetkball.

3. Wisconsin has flamed out year after year under Bo. I can't recall them ever advancing past the Sweet 16 in this century and I think they've only reached it once or twice at most. Currently, they are not even remotely considered one of the 6-7 main favorites, despite their ranking.

Finally, Myron bends over backwards to tell us how very much he is not a fan of the Gophers (because he has way too much journalistic integrity of course) and he seems to like to go the extra mile with stupid picks like this. But I'm sure the beat writer in Bloomington will go out of his way to pick Purdue too.

I love it when people give their Final Four picks before the brackets are even announced. Those 4 teams will probably be smashed into two regions.

Agree with FOT also in this thread which is a rarity.

I do wish that Armelin would play football, but I'm a bigger football fan so that's just out of selfishness.

Constant speculation about Tubby leaving is so tiring. I'm going to bet that Myron would be the last person Tubby would drop hints to about his future.

It would be nice if Myron and Marcus had twitter accounts for researched news, and a separate personal account for their asinine opinions.

Wisconsin's going to make the Final Four?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..................

No, wait......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I agree, but the way this year is going, it would be that final kick in the nuts that would just about kill me!

Wisconsin to the Final Four - now that's a good one. You can go ahead and not pick the #1 team in the country to make the F4, but you also have to be realistic in who you pick. Bo Ryan is above all things consistent, and in the NCAA tourney his teams consistently get to the second round and lose.

Wisconsin to the Final Four - now that's a good one. You can go ahead and not pick the #1 team in the country to make the F4, but you also have to be realistic in who you pick. Bo Ryan is above all things consistent, and in the NCAA tourney his teams consistently get to the second round and lose.

Hey now! Bo is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth, he wins with only 1-star recruits and has never had a bad apple in his program! He once recruited a good player, just to see what it felt like.

And in fairness to Bo, it is REALLY tough to win with all of those 1-star recruits against the evil doers of EVERY other university when you are forced to use the other teams officials!

3. Wisconsin has flamed out year after year under Bo. I can't recall them ever advancing past the Sweet 16 in this century and I think they've only reached it once or twice at most. Currently, they are not even remotely considered one of the 6-7 main favorites, despite their ranking. .

Bo Ryan has had a few nice runs, but only because every better seeded team has been knocked out those years and given them a rather easy waltz to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight.

He has NCAA victories over the following seeds:

2010: 13
2009: 5
2008: 14, 11
2007: 15
2006: no wins
2005: 11, 14, 10
2004: 11
2003: 12, 13
2002: 9

Bo Ryan has had a few nice runs, but only because every better seeded team has been knocked out those years and given them a rather easy waltz to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight.

I am assuming the majority of those games they have been ranked higher too? And most likely "favored".

I won't down talk it too much, because it is still better than anything the Gophers have done over that same time frame. BUT, before Badger fans (and Gopher fans) start calling Bo Ryan better than Izzo and Coach K and Wisconsin the program everyone wants to be like, realize they are far from perfect.

I have to agree with this.

I would be quite happy for us to be as terrible in b-ball as Wisky has been under Ryan. The guy is a very good coach. He has won or shared several Big 10 titles. Can we get one please. Is it too much to ask for a school of this size?

I would be quite happy for us to be as terrible in b-ball as Wisky has been under Ryan. The guy is a very good coach. He has won or shared several Big 10 titles. Can we get one please. Is it too much to ask for a school of this size?

And how many final fours has he made with those regular season champion rosters? zero? oh.

If you are going to want [insert coach here]-like success, lets shoot for Izzo-like. I'd much prefer his tourney numbers to Bo's, thanks.

from my count that is exactly 12 more wins than the Gophers have in the same time period and 2 more than Tubby has.

going out on a limb here but if this was Minnesota's NCAA wins over the time period and given the Gophers a eazy waltz to the sweet 16 I bet you would spin this a lot different in the Gophers favor.

anyone can get numbers to say what they want. the fact is that the Badgers program has been and is in way better shape than Miinnesota's.

from my count that is exactly 12 more wins than the Gophers have in the same time period and 2 more than Tubby has.

going out on a limb here but if this was Minnesota's NCAA wins over the time period and given the Gophers a eazy waltz to the sweet 16 I bet you would spin this a lot different in the Gophers favor.

anyone can get numbers to say what they want. the fact is that the Badgers program has been and is in way better shape than Miinnesota's.

Agreed. BUT, the point of his post wasn't that MN is better than Wisconsin, it was that Wisconsin isn't up their with MSU, and tOSU when it comes to tourney success. And they aren't. Yet people on THIS board act like they are the perfect college basketball team.

Top Bottom