Myron blogs about Trevor, says Westbrook has shed 35lbs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Time, justice system will determine the outcome of Trevor Mbakwe’s felony battery case
Posted on August 3rd, 2009 – 5:32 PM
By Myron Medcalf
What’s up? I’m back.

I’ve been gone for nearly a month now on an extended stay-cation. I took some time off to hang out with family, friends and an assortment of challenging golf courses, while gaining a greater appreciation for stay-at-home parents after a three-week stint at home with my toddler. Wow, she has a ton of energy. How do you do it, full-time moms?

I read your blog comments, criticisms, praises and “Dude, where are you?”emails, but I really wanted to take advantage of my time off - for once - and just chill out for awhile.

But I made time to go to Howard Pulley pro-am games and watch all of the new Gophers basketball players compete. I talked to coaches, parents and players. I scoured the Internet for college basketball info/news, while my 14-month-old daughter attempted to utilize my new laptop as a personal punching bag.

It was a smooth break. But just when I thought everything was calm, news broke last week about a felony assault charge against top recruit Trevor Mbakwe.

Let me just say this: Mbakwe, like any American in any other criminal case, is innocent until proven guilty. That said there’s nothing good about this right now. The buzz surrounding Minnesota basketball hasn’t been this high in years. The fact that the status of the top recruit in the top recruiting class of Tubby Smith’s tenure is in jeopardy at least for the next couple of weeks doesn’t help Gophers supporters focus on the potential positives of the upcoming season.

I don’t know how many of his teammates even knew anything about his situation. I asked Royce White about it last week, and he said he didn’t know Mbakwe was dealing with anything.

Smith didn’t allow Gophers players to do interviews during the final games in the Howard Pulley league late last week.

I’ve spoken with multiple Gophers coaches. They believe that their guy isn’t involved. They’re very hopeful but also realistic about the possibility that things could go the other way, even as they support Mbakwe.

I think we’ll know soon what really happened that night and whether Mbakwe was involved. He has an Aug. 26 court date in Miami. I’ve spoken with multiple people connected to Mbakwe, and I can tell you that there are those who believe he’s 100 percent innocent and those who believe he may be involved. Regardless, it’s up to the justice system now.

But losing Mbakwe would put a huge dent in Minnesota’s potentially stellar lineup, but more importantly, it would seriously damage the young man’s life. In the end, however, he may be completely exonerated.

Here are a few things to note from the police report related to the felony battery charge against Mbakwe:

The assault victim described her assailant as a 6-6, 190-pound black man with a thin build. She suffered a laceration on her left eyelid after the suspect allegedly punched her in the face two times. When officers arrived, she refused to allow them to transport her to a hospital, choosing instead to go on her own. The police report lists her injuries as minor. (We know, however, that the woman suffered a ruptured sinus and fractured cheekbone.)

In other Gophers news:

-Based on the team’s incoming and returning talent, junior forward Paul Carter appeared to be the guy who would get left out of the mix heading into the summer. After watching him in Howard Pulley, however, I’m not so sure. He’s bulked up to more than 200 pounds after joining the Gophers as a 6-8, 185-pound juco transfer. And he’s quicker and more agile. It will be hard to keep him off the floor.

-Lawrence Westbrook says that he’s lost 35 pounds this summer, but also added that he’s stronger and faster on a recent Facebook post.

-Tubby Smith hosted an overnight Father-Son camp Friday and Saturday. He tweeted this Monday: “What a great Father/Son camp we had this past weekend. Before you know it school will begin. Go Gophers!”

-Williams Arena will have a new floor next season, but it will also have new basketball hoops, according to Gophers spokesman Matt Slieter. The Gophers will compete on larger, rollaway baskets, a la the Minnesota Timberwolves, during the upcoming season.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

...The fact that the status of the top recruit in the top recruiting class of Tubby Smith’s tenure is in jeopardy at least for the next couple of weeks doesn’t help Gophers supporters focus on the potential positives of the upcoming season.

Um...what? Now Trevor is the best recruit from this class? Is he lazy or just a moron. I go back and forth on this.

Um...what? Now Trevor is the best recruit from this class? Is he lazy or just a moron. I go back and forth on this.

Myron seems like he really could give a crap about the Gophers; maybe that's why he always seems to do a lackluster job. He would probably be decent if he was writing for HIS team...

While it's true that Trevor was not the highest rated recruit (though most sites don't compare JUCO's and HS'ers), if I can read between the lines, I think Myron might have meant Tubby's most important recruit for 2009 -2010 season.

I fully expect that should the charges prove to be false and Trevor plays a full season he will have by far the biggest impact and play the most minutes of any of the 4 newcomers. He's a true 4, which we don't have and is needed in the Big Ten. He'll play good D and rebound all night. Of the newbies, I think he is the most important for THIS season.

Now, long term, and for the visability of the program, Royce and Rodney will probably be the difference makers but they're 18 and will need a little time to grow into the roles needed for high D-1.

Thanks,

Lawrence Westbrook now weighs 160 lbs?!?
195-35=160
Bologna. No way. I'll believe this when I see it. (..or fail to see it)

195-35=160

Seriously - that would be weird. Westbrook looked just fine last year, if he really dropped that much weight, he man look man-aeroxic.

I'm guessing Westbrook may have been listed as 195, but weighed more like 210-220. He was built like a linebacker. Does anyone know that his actual playing weight was 195?

So the next question is how much weight Westbrook gained in the off-season before he started working out.

195-35=160

Pretty sure he actually weighed quite a bit more than that. We all know how accurate those listings are.

While it's true that Trevor was not the highest rated recruit (though most sites don't compare JUCO's and HS'ers), if I can read between the lines, I think Myron might have meant Tubby's most important recruit for 2009 -2010 season.

I think this is the correct way to interpret that quote. I'll never forget hearing Mrs. Donna Smith repeat to me multiple times after Texas' bigs dominated ours in the 1st round how much she was looking forward to having Mbakwe on the team. I'm assuming her enthusiasm came from direct communiactions with her husband.

The normal development of Ralph and Colt from FR to SO year will have more to do with improvement in this area than bringing in Trevor, IMO. Those that are expecting all-conference play out of him are significantly overrating him.

Be careful translating Pulley performance to real basketball. The Pulley games, while fun to watch and often a great developmental tool providing players with competition during the summer, is nothing more than playground ball. I would think fans on this board would have learned this lesson by now.

Pretty sure he actually weighed quite a bit more than that. We all know how accurate those listings are.

From Myron:

"-Lawrence Westbrook on his 35-pound weight loss: “ played last season at about 220. When I got home, I started working out and I lost 35 pounds. … I’m ready to play.” That means he’s at about 185 pounds right now. Wow, especially for a guy that’s so stocky."

The normal development of Ralph and Colt from FR to SO year will have more to do with improvement in this area than bringing in Trevor, IMO. Those that are expecting all-conference play out of him are significantly overrating him.

Be careful translating Pulley performance to real basketball. The Pulley games, while fun to watch and often a great developmental tool providing players with competition during the summer, is nothing more than playground ball. I would think fans on this board would have learned this lesson by now.

Not everyone has high expectations for him just from watching him in Pulley games, and he can have the most impact out of any new player this year without being all-conference.

Top Bottom