My surprise pick for the 12th Big Ten school

I'd agree with this. If Nebraska really wants more of the pie and didn't care about being evil they could certainly try to play a Big 10 offer into a better Big 12 deal. Pretty much everyone in both conferences might end up hating them though. :) I also agree that the Big 12 would be comfortable with replacing (from a football/money standpoint anyway) Mizzou with TCU. Same/better quality football team with an athletic department that would view their smaller share of the TV money pie as an upgrade.

TCU is a joke and the Big 12 will never go for them. they don't sell out their stadium despite thier success, and they're not even close to selling out thier bowl game. besides that they have a tiny enrollment, horrible academics, little or no following around the state of texas....including dallas/fort worth.

TCU is a joke and the Big 12 will never go for them. they don't sell out their stadium despite thier success, and they're not even close to selling out thier bowl game. besides that they have a tiny enrollment, horrible academics, little or no following around the state of texas....including dallas/fort worth.

Fair enough. I knew about the attendance thing, but that and the fact that they play good football is about all I know about the school. I like TJ's points about the Utah schools.

RUTGERS!

-Big university (50,000+ students)
-New York/New Jersey market
-Great athletic recruiting area (2nd best in the East behind Pennsylvania)
-Easy access with airports
-Great academics
-Solid football program
-Great womens basketball

your thoughts?

I am getting behind Rutgers. At one point, I thought they would be the worst possible candidate for the first and most prestigious football Conference in the nation. But since I heard Missouri was an option, Rutgers seems like a complete ace. Still want Pittsburgh though.

EDIT- and another thing. Rutgers is fine academically for the Big Ten (Missouri and any other Big 12 school other than Texas are not) but just think how the profile of their athletics will skyrocket after joining the Big Ten.

On the radio this morning I heard that there are grumblings that Colorado might be looking at the PAC 10. If we get Missouri or another Big 12 team, we could just swith conference names. We're the new Big 12.

Wait a minute here, when did Rutgers turn into this fantastic academic institution?

Their endowment is a solid $400 million behind Iowa, which currently has the smallest in the Big Ten.

In any ranking that I've seen, they'd slide in right near the bottom of the Big Ten in academics. Athletically, they're a sort-of women's basketball power. Wooooooooot!

Maturi, quoted in Reusse's article:

"If we tried to play nine now, with 11 teams, one of us would only play eight," Maturi said. "To me, the chance to play nine conference games would be an advantage to adding a 12th team."

9 games is a big selling point for me.

I dislike Nebraska very much so. I feel like I would have to hate them if they would join the Big Ten. I'm not sure I have any hate left in me with Iowa and Wisc. getting all of it. This could be a problem.

Well played.

:party:

Think of the possibilities... Maybe howeda can take a break from his pimping Mizzou and work up a quick analysis of the Fargo, Bismarck and Grand Forks media markets. Since he included Jeff City too maybe we could look at Drayton, McVille (pron Mac-Vil), New Town, Hettinger and Bowbells markets as well. Just imagine--Fargo brings in West Fargo, Bismarck also brings Mandan, Grand Forks brings in Park River, McVille brings along Michigan (not that Michigan silly, the real Michigan, Michigan, ND!), New Town brings in Stanley (the town and the guy) we get the Hettinger market, we also get McIntosh,SD and Bowbells opens up Kenmare! Lakesbison must be wetting himself thinking of the calls flowing into Fargo...

Sarcasm duly noted, but I was simply listing all of the TV markets in MO (which has a lot more then I thought) vs. Nebraska. ND has all 2 I believe (Fargo and Bismark) and they are both small. No analysis needed. I must have missed Hettinger and McIntosh, SD :rolleyes:

Magpie, I guess I am surprised that you didn't like my thread as now we have four pages of responses...seems to me there is a lot of conversation. I certainly accept that you don't like UConn as a possible choice, but I would rather see UConn before Syracuse or Rutgers. On paper, Pitt is a solid possibility and while Nebraska is a good idea I don't see it happening because of the television markets.

I will debate you on the divisions. I think you missed the point I made. Although the biggest rivals are split, they will play each other every year in football. You protect your "rival" game in the schedule. It is more laughable to think that you would have a division with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan together.

I have to give your response a C-...you pass, but not with honors. :)

Hey everyone,

I did my undergrad at Mizzou, and I'm at Minnesota Law right now.

Mizzou would be perfect for Big Ten expansion. Mizzou brings the media dollars, fits in academically, and athletically.

Nebraska used to be a football powerhouse, but frankly when the NCAA changed scholarship rules, it has slowly taken it out of Nebraska. I think most people would be shocked to know that Nebraska pays its football coach less than 5 other Big XII programs (including Missouri) and ranks 25th nationally.

Mizzou has made huge strides athletically, beating Nebraska 3 out of the last 4 years. They have a newly remodeled football stadium and a beautiful basketball arena that opened in 2006. It is only on the upside. Mizzou has been making waves recently with low-level recruits. But this year in football and basketball they have roughly top 15 recruiting classes. For comparison, Nebraska's class is rated 34. Don't be fooled by Nebraska's success this year. Suh really carried that team in basically every game. It will be in trouble without him. Nebraska has no offensive prospects and the defense is about to take an epic hit. Football isn't the only sport MU is good at though. Mizzou had first round picks in Football (Maclin, and Hood), Basketball (Carroll), and Baseball (two pitchers). Mizzou would already be the best baseball team in the Big Ten. MU is on a 5 year bowl streak, and made the Elite 8 last year.

Additionally, several of you are really underrating the following Mizzou has. The fanbase is much better than you are giving it credit for. Sometimes they may not travel well (this might even be a myth, I haven't seen any data to back it up), but Mizzou gets great ratings. Mizzou's bowl games recently have gotten great ratings nationally, and the Tigers have played in some hot games. In 2007, "Espn on Abc" had an average broadcast rating of 4.3. But Mizzou played in two games on "Espn on Abc" that nearly broke 11. They played in consecutive weeks, in 2 of "espn on abc's" top 10 rated games ever. To the extent Mizzou gets bad support, it is likely because of its terrible deal with the Big XII. Several Mizzou games a year are on PPV. The rest are generally on cable channels like Fox Sports and Versus. Mizzou really gets shut out of the current Big XII deal.

Missouri brings the media markets you are looking for. Kansas City and St. Louis are top 30 markets. Several smaller cities in the state have more tv's in them than all of Nebraska. For comparison. Kansas City has more than a million more people in it than the entire state of Nebraska.

Finally, Mizzou academics are seriously underrated. This is mostly a product of the silly US News Rankings, in my opinion. Missouri has a world renowned Journalism school. It also has its own nuclear reactor and the world class engineering school (MUST) is a part of the system. Mizzou has a law school, business school, veterinary school, and medical school on campus. The MU system has 3 law schools, 3 medical schools, and a host of other academic resources. Generally, those satellite campuses are never figured into the equation. Missouri is both similar and different to the Minnesota system. It spreads its schools out, but they all work under the same banner and share resources.

A friend of mine has been operating a blog that explains why a Big Ten - Mizzou relationship would be mutually beneficial. Check it out: http://www.big10mizzou.com/

Magpie, I guess I am surprised that you didn't like my thread as now we have four pages of responses...seems to me there is a lot of conversation.
Again, my point was that it was unnecessary for you to create a new thread with your opinion on a topic that already had the board using a general thread on the topic for everyone to post their opinions within. It's called organization -- but it's cool, it's normal around here -- the moderators obviously don't care about keeping the boards reasonable. Now claiming that this thread is worthy because of the number of pages it has is absolutely ridiculous or humorous (hopefully you intended the latter). Why? Case & point: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=12578
;)

I certainly accept that you don't like UConn as a possible choice, but I would rather see UConn before Syracuse or Rutgers. On paper, Pitt is a solid possibility and while Nebraska is a good idea I don't see it happening because of the television markets.
UConn doesn't fit a majority of the traditional and/or assumed requirements, but otherwise is a good school. I'm not a fan of Rutgers for the same reasons (and more). Syracuse is okay, but I'd hope they'd be a last resort to the official committee.

I will debate you on the divisions. I think you missed the point I made. Although the biggest rivals are split, they will play each other every year in football. You protect your "rival" game in the schedule. It is more laughable to think that you would have a division with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan together.
Scheduling sucks enough as it is -- why add a rival game on top of it? If done correctly, your top rivals should already be played yearly within the division. There are many, many better choices for divisions than what you posted... however it's all for naught until we find out who the 12th school is.

I have to give your response a C-...you pass, but not with honors. :)
Sweeeeeeeeet. I was just being facetious on that anyway. It seemed you were posting your wish more than a reasonable suggestion. *shrug* opinions are opinions...

For the record, I'm going to say (well, considering Notre Dame again squashed our invite this week) Nebraska >>> Missouri/Syracuse/Pitt > Iowa St/Rutgers/UConn/BC/WV

I would recommend the University of Toronto. Of course, the Varsity Blues would need to upgrade their athletic department, but here are some things to consider:
- largest University in Canada (55,000 students)
- Toronto metro population of 7 million
- Ontario population of 13 million
- They would be Canada's representative in NCAA division I sports. Canada's population is 34 million.
- easy access from all Big 10 schools (with a passport)
- good geographic fit
- international status would make the conference more interesting

Let's try and follow the dominoes from that one:

The Big 10 picks off Mizzou, Nebraska and Rutgers, meanwhile

The Pac 10 picks of Utah and Colorado

The Big 12 is pissed. They go get Arkansas back while adding Houston and UNLV to make up for the 3 lost members.

The SEC can't be slighted. They go offer Miami big $$ to jump.

The ACC take Syracuse as a replacement, since that's who they really wanted over Va. Tech anyway.

The Big East is left in a tough spot to replace Rutgers and Syracuse. They settle for Memphis and UCF.

Conference USA is down from 12 to 9. They add FIU from the Sunbelt and stay at 10.

The Mountain West replaces UNLV and Utah with Boise State and New Mexico State.

And finally the WAC replaces Boise and NMSU with NDSU and SDSU. Whew.

I would recommend the University of Toronto. Of course, the Varsity Blues would need to upgrade their athletic department, but here are some things to consider:
- largest University in Canada (55,000 students)
- Toronto metro population of 7 million
- Ontario population of 13 million
- They would be Canada's representative in NCAA division I sports. Canada's population is 34 million.
- easy access from all Big 10 schools (with a passport)
- good geographic fit
- international status would make the conference more interesting

Great. Our National Champion could be from Canada.

I'd like Nebraska, Missouri, and Pitt. 16 is too much, 12 should consist of one of those 3 schools.

Top Bottom