My letter to A.J. Barker...

killme

Reaction score
Coach Kill has a solid, consistent track record, so his credibility is proven. The fact that his staff has remained virtually intact over the years is a ringing endorsement they believe in him.There are many ways to coach a team to get the most out of the players and many, many college athletes have felt they deserved scholarships, more playing time, more credit. Your selfish decision to attack him because you were embarrassed shows your true colors. Good riddance!

You say your parents never hurt you. Maybe they never scolded you either. Maybe they never disciplined you. Shame on them. You might have turned out differently, but the blame for your behavior rest solely on your weak and pathetic shoulders.

In your email to Coach Kill, which you chose to make public, you’ve allowed us all to take sides, and you make all the arguments we need to decide against you.

You reveal your selfish thoughts and selfish behavior. Historically, winning teams have unselfish players, working together and following one leader without questioning his methods. You never say “I want to help the team win” but make several references to wanting personal glory or reward. Every football program has players like you. They are the cancer that prevents teams from winning.

Sports does emulate life. Loyalty in football – or life – is essential. You call yourself better than all your teammates. I wonder how they felt about your lofty self assessment. Sometimes the numbers and stats don’t tell the whole story. Some receivers can affect winning by blocking or drawing coverage so other, less talented players can have the opportunity to shine. To be a receiving diva, you need only to judge yourself by receptions, yards and touchdowns YOU score. Did you do those things by yourself? Or did the other 10 guys doing their JOBS make it possible? It seems apparent you would rather have personal stats than victories. Do we as fans, or his teammates or coaches, care who gets the glory? Or does winning supercede?

While I disagree with your religious views, I support your right to them. But, we live in a society that seems to benefit from the belief in God, and certainly individual freedom doesn’t mean the majority needs to admire your beliefs, or rather lack thereof. If my teammate scores touchdowns and helps us win, I still can and will be sickened if he’s molesting children. And, in the end I’d rather lose with good people in the unified fight with me, than win with criminals.

Yes, Mr. Barker, you did have choices, among them submit to being led or put yourself and personal gain ahead of the team. We’re all better off for you quitting now than stick around holding a grudge because you were scolded for unacceptable behavior.

“My mommy’s friend said...” Really? Oh wow! She’s your mom’s friend? She must be an expert. She must know all the details. I suppose she must be a professional psychologist to validate her assessment of Coach Kill. Many (most) who have known him or been around him will laugh at her claim he’s an ego-maniac or narcissistic for it is just not true, or even remotely accurate. This is the part that makes your whole childish tirade obsolete.

Coach Kill doesn’t have to tarnish your name, Mr. Barker. You’ve provided all the evidence against yourself without any help. Better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt. And, your claim that you’re speaking out for the “first and last time” certainly was inaccurate. Just when does “last time” start?

You’ll meet with Coach Kill as long as mommy and daddy are there? I don’t see any value to U of M or the program for that to take place. Perhaps Coach Kill will. In my opinion you’re only a nuisance and distraction, and any second spent dealing with you is one that’s lost to the mission of building a championship program.

Thanks for all the descriptions of manipulation. Perhaps you should have looked up motivational tools and tactics. How does one get the most out of you? We’ll never know. You’re an underacheiver and a failure.

Your “dream” of being a coach is unlikely, but stranger things have happened, I suppose. If it does, I hope you have a roster full of players just like you.

Since you are a child, you probably still believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, and that the medical world with all of it’s advances is an exact science. I’m sorry to tell you that I can’t prove either way on S.C. and the E.B., but even NFL medical teams have trouble determining injuries, especially with ligaments and sprains. Oftentimes it comes down to doing the best we can with what we know and putting the best plan in place we can come up with. But, also, there are many – most, if not all – of your teammates that have had experienced pain in a violent sport like football. Some have overcome the pain and performed well.

Your U of M legacy is cemented now. Let us know how your selfish career works out and your learning about life hobby. I don’t accept your insincere apology.

Must feel good to insult a student athlete for not acting like an adult...

I don't understand paragraph 6. Where did that come from?

Drama queen responding to a drama queen. Was really unessary don't you think? Coach Kill put the issue to bed. Important: Senior Day, MSU game, the chance to get to 7-5.
Unimportant: Your AJ like response.

Current count for "open letters that should not be sent" for the week of November 18:

Drama queen responding to a drama queen. Was really unessary don't you think? Coach Kill put the issue to bed. Important: Senior Day, MSU game, the chance to get to 7-5.

Very well said

Exactly my thought

Current count for "open letters that should not be sent" for the week of November 18:

You, sir, are on a roll this week. That's about the third time you have made me flush my sinuses with Diet Pepsi.

I find it interesting that people are quick to defend Trevor Mbakwe, saying he's "young and he made some mistakes". He gets a standing ovation for getting a DUI....while he was on probation for other transgressions.

Barker also made a mistake yet he's basically public enemy #1 now. Last I checked, Barker has been a good citizen.

I'm not taking Barker's side by any means, just pointing out the double standard here. You could say the Barker saga is far more embarrassing to the U but Mbakwe has been given multiples chances and he continued to screw up.

I find it interesting that people are quick to defend Trevor Mbakwe, saying he's "young and he made some mistakes". He gets a standing ovation for getting a DUI....while he was on probation for other transgressions.

Barker also made a mistake yet he's basically public enemy #1 now. Last I checked, Barker has been a good citizen.

I'm not taking Barker's side by any means, just pointing out the double standard here. You could say the Barker saga is far more embarrassing to the U but Mbakwe has been given multiples chances and he continued to screw up.

How do you think Trevor would have been treated Boiler if he went on radio and TV again and again to say "Yeah, I did it, none of it was my fault and I'm proud of it!" ?

Unless something was missed, Mbakwe admitted he MADE mistakes. There also was and still is a lot doubt around what happened down in Florida. Everything else is on Trevor's shoulders. The thing in his favor is his "Mea Culpa" about them. Barker's going public with his side of the problem might not have been the best idea but didn't bother me as much as it did a lot of people. His "Media Tour" was insane and worse, contained no contrition whatsoever. That's what "burst the Dam."

Just not DOING them would have been the best idea but even just apologized for going overboard would have satisfied a whole lot of people. You've made your point A.J. now just go away.

The part I find amazing is how quick Barker went from fan favorite to public enemy #1 like you stated. He was being compared to Decker and everyone was loving his potential and now the general sentiment is don't let the door hit you on the way out. Like you I don't agree with the way Barker handled things but it really has been facinating to see how quickly everyone turned on him.

The part I find amazing is how quick Barker went from fan favorite to public enemy #1 like you stated. He was being compared to Decker and everyone was loving his potential and now the general sentiment is don't let the door hit you on the way out. Like you I don't agree with the way Barker handled things but it really has been facinating to see how quickly everyone turned on him.

I agree. Now that the dust has settled, let's just get beyond the drama and get back to business. Barker brought this on himself, but there's no need to thumb him in the eye as an exclamation point to the whole affair.

Thanks for all for your comments. Yes, I could have just kept quiet, but I thought forums were for venting. I think Coach Kill is a great man and a great leader, and knew he'd handle this situation well, so Barker's childish behavior won't deter him from his work to bring a championship to the Gophers, but I just needed to defend him. Sorry if I offended anyone...except maybe Barker. lol

Must feel good to insult a student athlete for not acting like an adult...

Well he's 21 years old, so he is an adult.

What were you doing at 21? I was working 75 hours a week, including 18 hours on Christmas Eve, and sweating how I was going to cover my rent and my car payment. I think Barker can get over himself.

Paragraph 6 is one of the least intelligent things I've read in a long time.

Thanks for all for your comments. Yes, I could have just kept quiet, but I thought forums were for venting. I think Coach Kill is a great man and a great leader, and knew he'd handle this situation well, so Barker's childish behavior won't deter him from his work to bring a championship to the Gophers, but I just needed to defend him. Sorry if I offended anyone...except maybe Barker. lol

A lot of people have been understandably quick to trash Barker and put all the blame on him based on the way he handled things but I don't think it is fair to pin this all on him. Kill has one version, Barker has another. The truth is almost always in the middle.

Didn't someone once say 'don't lower yourself to their standards' or something like that?

Well he's 21 years old, so he is an adult.

What were you doing at 21? I was working 75 hours a week, including 18 hours on Christmas Eve, and sweating how I was going to cover my rent and my car payment. I think Barker can get over himself.

I was in college at umd playing football, getting drunk, chasing girls. I was a kid!

A lot of people have been understandably quick to trash Barker and put all the blame on him based on the way he handled things but I don't think it is fair to pin this all on him. Kill has one version, Barker has another. The truth is almost always in the middle.

Even if Barker's version of events is entirely true, the way he went about handling it is entirely inappropriate.

You were an adult who was acting like a kid.

I was legally an adult but very few ppl at the age of 21 are adults. If some of you don't understand that, please don't kids. My opinion is barker is a kid and he made a childish decision. For those of you that have decided to name call and rip barker apart you are also making childish actions and are no better then barker, except most of you are at an age to know better.

Barker didn't damage our program or our coach this will work itself out and will be forgotten by the new year

Top Bottom