My experience at the Barn

Reaction score
I usually attend 4-5 games a year at the Barn, but for a number of reasons, last night's game against Michigan was my first this season. Here are my observations from an outsider perspective, even though I don't think I technically qualify as on outsider since I've been to so many game over the years. Anywho.

- I didn't get to my seat until after the 2nd TV timeout. Traffic was horrible, I mean HORRIBLE!

- Student section was lame. Sorry if I offend anyone, but aside from chanting "these refs suck" they were a non-factor. I'm sure this had a lot to do with a late arriving crowd and the overall game flow.

- Why do they bother with a pep band? They rarely play anything. Too many shananigans going on during timeouts with people of all ages doing layups. I think I heard the rouser twice all night.

- Not only are the Gophers not playing well, but the Alexandria Aces must be going through a rough patch as well. I'm not going to rip on 6-12 year olds, but I've seen this same halftime show several times over the years and for some reason they didn't seem as impressive last night. I know I'm reaching a bit here, but I guess the tone for the evening was set early :(

- I like the new court and no more wires holding the backboards up. Improves my sight lines!

- Fans leaving early. Couple sitting next to me left with 6 mintes left and they were PISSED. Several f-bombs as they stood up and shuffled out. I was hoping for a Gopher comeback so I could call the d-bag out on this board in hopes he reads this. I know he's been a season tixket holder for years so you would think he would've learned his lesson at the Indiana game awhile back.

- If I had a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd invest in a bar/restaurant near the arena and stadium. I'm not as familiar with the area as others so maybe I'm unaware of other eateries, but we went to a handful of places after the game for some beers and food and every place was packed. Ended up at Village Pizza for some grease (with a side of pizza). I'm probably going to a few more games yet this year so any tips on pre/post game eating would be helpful. We usually park in the Oak Street garage, so somewhere in that vicinity is ideal.

It's True. The Gopher fan section might as well not even show up. What a joke. I'm so disappointed in how quiet they are, the old barn is gone.

I usually attend 4-5 games a year at the Barn, but for a number of reasons, last night's game against Michigan was my first this season. Here are my observations from an outsider perspective, even though I don't think I technically qualify as on outsider since I've been to so many game over the years. Anywho.

- I didn't get to my seat until after the 2nd TV timeout. Traffic was horrible, I mean HORRIBLE!

- Student section was lame. Sorry if I offend anyone, but aside from chanting "these refs suck" they were a non-factor. I'm sure this had a lot to do with a late arriving crowd and the overall game flow.

- Why do they bother with a pep band? They rarely play anything. Too many shananigans going on during timeouts with people of all ages doing layups. I think I heard the rouser twice all night.

- Not only are the Gophers not playing well, but the Alexandria Aces must be going through a rough patch as well. I'm not going to rip on 6-12 year olds, but I've seen this same halftime show several times over the years and for some reason they didn't seem as impressive last night. I know I'm reaching a bit here, but I guess the tone for the evening was set early :(

- I like the new court and no more wires holding the backboards up. Improves my sight lines!

- Fans leaving early. Couple sitting next to me left with 6 mintes left and they were PISSED. Several f-bombs as they stood up and shuffled out. I was hoping for a Gopher comeback so I could call the d-bag out on this board in hopes he reads this. I know he's been a season tixket holder for years so you would think he would've learned his lesson at the Indiana game awhile back.

- If I had a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket I'd invest in a bar/restaurant near the arena and stadium. I'm not as familiar with the area as others so maybe I'm unaware of other eateries, but we went to a handful of places after the game for some beers and food and every place was packed. Ended up at Village Pizza for some grease (with a side of pizza). I'm probably going to a few more games yet this year so any tips on pre/post game eating would be helpful. We usually park in the Oak Street garage, so somewhere in that vicinity is ideal.

I agree with much of what you said. The corporatization of the games has put the pep band in the background. The restaurants have to make it on 40-50 event days of the year. The rest of the time it's pretty dead. The 6pm starts are a killer: terrible traffic and tough on the work schedule.

Went to the game last night and was told by the people behind me to sit down, and that was before the opening tip!

I don't think last night was the typical atmosphere of the barn at all. That was probably the worst atmosphere I've witnessed in there in a while. People didn't even go crazy when Hoffarber made 3s like they always do. That was pretty much the atmosphere that I expected though. The season has been incredibly disappointing, next year doesn't look all that bright, the off the court distractions add up, people showed up late because of the early tipoff, and then then the team came out looking awful. The fans were out of the game right away. The players didn't look like they cared. I don't know what it is about Michigan, but we just play terrible against them. The frustration looked to be at a season high for the players, coaches, and fans last night.

One thing would be easy to fix. Get rid of the shenanigans and let the band play. Why ruin the atmosphere intentionally.

One thing would be easy to fix. Get rid of the shenanigans and let the band play. Why ruin the atmosphere intentionally.

Bring it up with Deb Diamond. She's the marketing lady.

I mean, did we seriously need to see that basketball team shooting for two of the TV timeouts in the second half???? That's what got me upset.

Bring it up with Deb Diamond. She's the marketing lady.

I mean, did we seriously need to see that basketball team shooting for two of the TV timeouts in the second half???? That's what got me upset.

What ever ideas the marketing dept have would have to be cleared by the AD.

The best thing about Gopher sports has been the atmosphere inside the Barn. Why ruin it.

rouser

<Why do they bother with a pep band? They rarely play anything. Too many shananigans going on during timeouts with people of all ages doing layups. I think I heard the rouser twice all night.>

Tell me about it. When there is a break in the action I don't want to be entertained by the irrelevant. Give me the Rouser and the Cheerleaders any time.

I've been emailing the music department for years about the lame pep band with obviously no results. We should all work on the marketing department about those dumb promos. The worst is the girls team from Wayzata who is brought in by what appears to be a rich dad from Dain Rauscher for his daughter's team to shoot no just during one time-out but twice in the second half. I would like to know how much it brings in for the Athletic Department. It should be hundreds of thousands to make that worthwhile. My bet is that they pay a couple thousand for the right to kill the experience for everyone in the Barn.

Everyone should email Deb Diamond at [email protected] and ask her to bring basketball back to Williams Arena.

On the note of the these refs suck...
1. if you noticed the refs made legit calls after that
2. it was the most passionate ive seen the crowd this year (sad)
3. the only bad part is that we didnt turn it around into momentum on the court like i remember us doing against another team earlier this year or last when the refs were horribly bad, the nonchalant crowd actually got back into it

I think it's hilarious that the contestant for the Pilgrim Cleaners Iron Shuffle game is generally an elementary school-aged kid - I am sure they put that 50 dollar gift certificate to a dry-cleaning place to good use!

one of the problems in the student section is the fact that the band area and the barnyard area don't like each other and don't join in on each others cheers. If the area behind the band starts a cheer the barnyard doesn't join in and vice versa. Once the student section joins together the section will sound much louder.

I can see why no one listens to the band though. They have lame chants. The set it up one is especially brutal.

I remember during the Michigan State game with like 2 mins left, cant remember which Spartan is at the foul line, (I think Lucas) but the camera angle goes to the classic behind the shooter facing the student section. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. The student section was asleep, no hands waving, no jumbo Tubby faces, harldy any yelling, nothing but some students looking half asleep.

Went to the game last night and was told by the people behind me to sit down, and that was before the opening tip!

That's nothing new. That happens at football games too. And not just recently. For as long as I've been a Golden Gopher (1995-on) there have been the 'sit on your hands'-fans, telling others to sit down. I think that's just part of Minnesota sports watching now unfortunately...

That's nothing new. That happens at football games too. And not just recently. For as long as I've been a Golden Gopher (1995-on) there have been the 'sit on your hands'-fans, telling others to sit down. I think that's just part of Minnesota sports watching now unfortunately...

I saw it happen at a (gasp) Packer game

one of the problems in the student section is the fact that the band area and the barnyard area don't like each other and don't join in on each others cheers. If the area behind the band starts a cheer the barnyard doesn't join in and vice versa. Once the student section joins together the section will sound much louder.

I can see why no one listens to the band though. They have lame chants. The set it up one is especially brutal.

Let's not pretend that the students don't speed it up to the point where nobody can keep up with it.

I swear to christ it's like every chant is a "slow clap" to them where each successive repeat of it increases in speed by 50%. Now that is exactly the reason it seems like the two sides don't chant together. Get the students to figure out how to maintain a decent tempo and you will find a much louder and cohesive chants.

I've been emailing the music department for years about the lame pep band with obviously no results. We should all work on the marketing department about those dumb promos. The worst is the girls team from Wayzata who is brought in by what appears to be a rich dad from Dain Rauscher for his daughter's team to shoot no just during one time-out but twice in the second half. I would like to know how much it brings in for the Athletic Department. It should be hundreds of thousands to make that worthwhile. My bet is that they pay a couple thousand for the right to kill the experience for everyone in the Barn.

Everyone should email Deb Diamond at [email protected] and ask her to bring basketball back to Williams Arena.

Always got to defend the band when I can, there's not a lot the band can do about their "lameness". They're directed as to when they can and can't play. The Gophers could have gone on a 10-0 run to take the lead and if it was a TV timeout with a ridiculous marketing event, they CANT play the rouser, regardless of how appropriate it would be. They have been neutered just like the student section; for hockey the "Mortal Kombat" song has been banned (the one played in years past after an opposing team penalty), The Hey Song was banned a few years back in all sports, it's totally ridiculous. I'm sick of marketing, I'm sick of the "sportsmanship" BS. Such a farce in college athletics.

Always got to defend the band when I can, there's not a lot the band can do about their "lameness". They're directed as to when they can and can't play. The Gophers could have gone on a 10-0 run to take the lead and if it was a TV timeout with a ridiculous marketing event, they CANT play the rouser, regardless of how appropriate it would be. They have been neutered just like the student section; for hockey the "Mortal Kombat" song has been banned (the one played in years past after an opposing team penalty), The Hey Song was banned a few years back in all sports, it's totally ridiculous. I'm sick of marketing, I'm sick of the "sportsmanship" BS. Such a farce in college athletics.

Actually Mortal kombat does get played. I don;t think i heard it last game, but maybe in the MSU game it came a few times. They did put the kabosh on the chant they did for fouls ala hockey penalties though (they being marketing).

Please do NOT email Deb Diamond, she hasn't been the marketing person for Men's bball for about 5 years!

Don't blame the students for the sucky barnyard atmosphere...i remeber going to games with my brother where we'd be able to sit right behind the basket and touch the court, now the student are stuck in the corner or behind the band and cheerleaders that don't lead cheers during game play...it's tough to get stuff going when you're 100 feet away from the main core of the student section...i think they should move the back back up the section into the middle and let students fill the first 7 rows or so to get some damn intimidation factor in there...

Actually Mortal kombat does get played. I don;t think i heard it last game, but maybe in the MSU game it came a few times. They did put the kabosh on the chant they did for fouls ala hockey penalties though (they being marketing).

Right. They still play it at other events, it hasn't been blacklisted like the Hey Song, but it's gone from Hockey games.

And actually, they didn't put the kabosh on the chant. Students still do it, and are determined to keep it going. It's not as strong as it has been in years past (Because it occurs after the puck is dropped post-penalty), but it definitely hasn't been eliminated.

Please do NOT email Deb Diamond, she hasn't been the marketing person for Men's bball for about 5 years!

GL, when, oh when, are you going to learn to not confuse your factually based requests with the relentlessly unsubstantiated opinions of some Holers? :)

As an Iowa fan, I have experienced this with both football and basketball at the barn and at the dome (I will be attending TCF for the game next year). Minnesota fans at sporting events seem to be at odds with most other places I have been. It is still the only place I have ever been where fans tell me to sit down when Iowa does something well. I have been to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, East Carolina, Iowa State and more and this has never happened except for at Minnesota.

i think they should move the back back up the section into the middle and let students fill the first 7 rows or so to get some damn intimidation factor in there...

Well, the following fell on deaf ears a few weeks back when I mentioned it, but......they are going to reconfigure all seating for the 2012-2013 season. This is a fact. If anyone here would like their ideas considered, right now would be the best time to submit them, to get organized and get someone to listen to you. I'm a hypocrite of sorts, because I'm not going to lead it - it isn't high enough on my priority list. But I'm sure some do care about it a lot and are capable of taking action. Who's up for it? Do something. Or when, in 2012-2013 and beyond The Barn atmosphere destruction is complete and the whole thing has been fully corpratized, don't complain.........

GL, if Deb Diamond isn't the right person to direct this stuff to, who is? Anyone?? Bueller?

As an Iowa fan, I have experienced this with both football and basketball at the barn and at the dome (I will be attending TCF for the game next year). Minnesota fans at sporting events seem to be at odds with most other places I have been. It is still the only place I have ever been where fans tell me to sit down when Iowa does something well. I have been to Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, East Carolina, Iowa State and more and this has never happened except for at Minnesota.

Yeah right! You've never taken any grief as an opposing fan at other stadiums/arenas? When you are cheering for the other team, fans everywhere will yell things at you and tell you to sit down and they should! I've been told to sit down at Kinnick, Camp Randle, The Big House, and just about every other arena I've attended.

Anytime you are at a college sporting event and anywhere near the student section, they will shout you down if you are an opposing fan. What you are talking about and what the Gopher fans are talking about are completely different things. You deserve to be told to sit down when you are cheering against the Gophers. I've been to Kinnick about 3 times and people don't rush to my defense if an Iowa fan yells at me, and I wouldn't expect them to either.

OK, I gotta ask. What is wrong with the Hey song? Why is that song banned?

Top Bottom