MV's comment about recruiting

Perhaps if a kid gets verbally offered by Florida as a Sophomore or Texas invites them to camp (to use a previous example) or Notre Dame gives them a rosary it would influence the rating (or at least get the services to take a closer look). But overall, I would agree that the services rate players off their perceived ability not on who has offered.

I think what happens sometimes is a guy they may not have evaluated heavily suddenly lands a top offer so they go back and take a look at them again which may lead to an increase in stars. I don't think they adjust them up or down based solely on who is recruiting them. Fans look at that and jump to teh conclusion that the ony reason Rivals bumped him up is because Ohio Steat is recruiting him which probably is not the case at all.

Sorry about opening up this can of worms again. Unfortunately the point MV was making got lost in all the noise here, i.e. the recruiting services are out there to make money while coaches have much bigger stake in their analysis of players. I am not sure if people here understand or care why that is important but I thought it was worth noting.

You are dead right on that one, and the best way to make money is to be right most of the time. The best way to be right most of the time is to pretty much agree with everyone else and win a dart throw once in a while.

I think what happens sometimes is a guy they may not have evaluated heavily suddenly lands a top offer so they go back and take a look at them again which may lead to an increase in stars. I don't think they adjust them up or down based solely on who is recruiting them. Fans look at that and jump to teh conclusion that the ony reason Rivals bumped him up is because Ohio Steat is recruiting him which probably is not the case at all.

Did you mean Ohio's teat?

Not even remotely true.

It happens a lot. Enough so that's it's become a running joke on GI. Every-time some kid we got in on early starts to blow up & gets an Ohio St or Michigan type offer someone throws out "How long till they get an extra *?". To say it's not "remotely true" is way off the mark.

So they haven't evaluated the guy "heavily", thus he gets a lower star ranking. When the helmet school offers they go back & evaluate more "heavily"? So if the guy was never offered by a helmet school the ranking would never have been reevaluated? Isn't this just semantics? The bottom line is they changed their evaluation based on the fact that a helmet school offered the guy.

So they haven't evaluated the guy "heavily", thus he gets a lower star ranking. When the helmet school offers they go back & evaluate more "heavily"? So if the guy was never offered by a helmet school the ranking would never have been reevaluated? Isn't this just semantics? The bottom line is they changed their evaluation based on the fact that a helmet school offered the guy.

Given the sheer volume of players out there, there is no way the services can go through and give a thorough evaluation to every prospect. What I am saying is if a guy they ranked lower is suddenly getting high profile attention, I am sure they do go back and take another look at him to see if they missed something. IF they feel the guy is worthy of a higher ranking they bump him up but it is not a guarantee that just because a helmet school is looking at him his rating will automatically go up.

It's not just helmet schools. Plsek was a no-star (or maybe a one-star). He committed to us and ended up a three-star.

I agree with the point that the sites are out to make money by selling memberships and selling advertising. That can be done in a number of ways, but the best way is to create buzz and hope that you are accurate as often as not.

Sorry about opening up this can of worms again. Unfortunately the point MV was making got lost in all the noise here, i.e. the recruiting services are out there to make money while coaches have much bigger stake in their analysis of players. I am not sure if people here understand or care why that is important but I thought it was worth noting.
Nope. You're the only one that understands such a complex argument.

/\ /\ /\ /\
this is what fanbases do to try to justify mediocre recruiting. we pretend that those recruiting gurus are full of crap because we dont want to admit johnny 4 and 5 star have no desire to play for our favorite team. i hate these bs justifications. alabama, oregon, LSU, florida, usc, ohio st, all have top 10 classes year in and year out and they win year in and year out. do these recruiting gurus miss from time to time, of course. but its because of the number game not because they dont know what they are doing.

Evidence for this can be found by perusing the old Yuku site for posts about recruiting rankings when Brewster was doing his thing.

Top Bottom