MSU. NW.

So there is no favoritism, no calls going one way and not the other in college bb? Yes or no.
I think it’s a well-known fact that B1G officials are compensated on a per game basis and not particularly generously. They do however accept tips. Some university alumni associations are better funded than others and, as such, are perhaps more generous in their gratuities.
But if you think for one minute that the relative amounts of said gratuities will influence officials’ in-game judgements; I tell you no way!!

I am thinking the refs might perform a bit better if their shirts weren't so damn tight, cutting circulation to their heads. Yes, you lift weights. Nobody cares.

I don't know about the bias, but I do feel a large number of refs are out there hoping you're looking at them more than you are looking at the game.

The officiating during the WI/NWA game last night was incompetent in the sense that was terribly uneven.
NWA did commit far more obvious fouls the the first half and the start of the second half than WI did.
Then no more fouls were called on NWA and tickey tacky calls were called on WI while NWA hacked a grabbed WI.
Then a clean block by NWA was called a foul and in the last minute with the game on the line a clean steal by NWA that would have led to a two point game was called a foul.
I think the officials realized that if they wanted to they could have called a foul on NWA almost every WI posseion and just gave up and did their best to even up the fouls.

I am thinking the refs might perform a bit better if their shirts weren't so damn tight, cutting circulation to their heads. Yes, you lift weights. Nobody cares.

I don't know about the bias, but I do feel a large number of refs are out there hoping you're looking at them more than you are looking at the game.
Interesting thesis. Let’s discuss! 🧐

The officiating during the WI/NWA game last night was incompetent in the sense that was terribly uneven.
NWA did commit far more obvious fouls the the first half and the start of the second half than WI did.
Then no more fouls were called on NWA and tickey tacky calls were called on WI while NWA hacked a grabbed WI.
Then a clean block by NWA was called a foul and in the last minute with the game on the line a clean steal by NWA that would have led to a two point game was called a foul.
I think the officials realized that if they wanted to they could have called a foul on NWA almost every WI posseion and just gave up and did their best to even up the fouls.

I think the big issue on the last foul call after seeing the clip was the NW player was clearly instructed by his coach to foul. So the ref blew the whistle before any actual contact was made. He seemed to be trying to help NW get the quick foul call and it ended up hurting them.

I think the big issue on the last foul call after seeing the clip was the NW player was clearly instructed by his coach to foul. So the ref blew the whistle before any actual contact was made. He seemed to be trying to help NW get the quick foul call and it ended up hurting them.
Whistling a foul before any actual contact has been made is a pretty egregious officiating error.

Conspiracy no, bias yes.
I tend to agree with this. It does some like there are some players/teams in different sports for different reasons who get the benefit of the doubt more than others do. I don't think it's the case that there is a secret meeting where the league is ordering them to do it. The league could be complicit though, with how they react to officiating mistakes. If a bad call that keeps OSU out of the CFP is more likely to result in a poor rating for the official or a public declaration that the call was wrong than a bad call that helps Purdue upset OSU, then the league is encouraging that bias.

Whistling a foul before any actual contact has been made is a pretty egregious officiating error.
The NWA coach yelled foul and the ref blew the whistle. The coach wanted to save seconds by yelling. The ball ended up out of bounds so it would have WI's ball anyway.
Collins was a bit of a dick in that game.
NWA was just coming off their biggest win of the season and the students were there for the first time in two years so he felt a lot of pressure.

Focusing on the (horrible) foul call on Northwestern in the final minute but not even acknowledging Davis getting clubbed in the face on a drive a minute earlier (which led to a turnover and a three) is certainly leaving some of the story out. The main takeaway should simply be that the officials were terrible. For both teams.

Ok, let's look at this.

If the refs are deliberately calling fouls (or not calling fouls) to help 1 of the teams win, then who made that determination?

did the refs get together and decide which team "should" win?
does it come from the conference - and if so, whom?

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

It's easy to referee from the stands or from your couch, while watching numerous slow-mo replays. it's a lot harder to do it live on the court in real time.

Do refs miss calls? yes. In every sport.

Are they trying to? No. Some refs are better or more consistent than others. but being a bad ref is not the same as a corrupt ref.

in my lifetime, I can think of one NBA ref who admitted to "fixing" games on which he had bet.
There have been several cases of players involved in point-fixing in college hoops.

Awful foul call on Keegan Murray that decided Iowa-Rutgers game. Was surprised Fran didn’t go totally bonkers.

Haha! Maybe they feel like "look good=feel good=referee good". I don't think it works like that.
I’m not so sure. I think you’re on to something here. My observations on the shirts are similar to yours, and it’s my considered opinion that there are at least two refs who definitely should not be wearing tight shirts, and who are also shoddy in their on court performance.
So your Good=Good=Good theory is consistent with bad=bad=bad.
Good work 👍

Top Bottom