MSHSL Boys Basketball State Tournament Thread

Go and get this kid. What a damn game for him
FWIW-

Per 247, he’s currently ranked 172,so it seems a stretch to call him a Top 50 recruit; not sure if James knows him/ has coached him etc…Asuma is ranked higher currently BTW.

Also no blue blood offers yet - not sure how a performance in MN basketball tourney is going to move the needle- as he’s been on the AAU circuit already

Park Center wasn’t very good defensively on the inside. Mcandrews can shoot and has good size. And the Gophers should take him in a minute but top fifty player not quite yet. Listening to Spencer Tollackson doing the broadcast was annoying at best. Hard to believe he’s a paid basketball analyst.

Dufault isn’t that great (very poor handle for a guard). Love his energy and how he mucks up the game, plus he gets one or two turnovers every game. But he will never be a starting point guard due to poor ball handling
Ahh never said he is a starter… Perfect backup…..32 games 36 assists and 22 turnovers. Get your shit straight…

Isn’t this the kind of diamond in the rough under the the radar over achieving and whatever other cliches we want to add guy that a developmental program needs?

If he’s as good as observers say and has no offers, are there other reasons coaches are hesitating?
We don’t get 10 scholarships per year. We get 2-4 HS kids most often. Have to pick your guys and go for it.

Park Center wasn’t very good defensively on the inside. Mcandrews can shoot and has good size. And the Gophers should take him in a minute but top fifty player not quite yet. Listening to Spencer Tollackson doing the broadcast was annoying at best. Hard to believe he’s a paid basketball analyst.
Spencer’s entertaining. Loved it.

You guys are nuts!!! So you want a 5’9 guard with no offers to get his first offer from the Gophers??? You guys are delusional and clueless. Not to mention…
You don't mention it because you lack any courage whatsoever. This is why you think the world is unfair. The world chews up and spits out cowards. You chalk it up to something wrong with society when it's a something wrong with you.

Nonetheless, I'll address your race baiting. In case you're wondering, there are plenty of unrecruited African American players I have really wanted the U to offer. I was on record on here saying that I would have offered the kid from South Saint Paul last year (Dodd). I would have offered Blue. I never really liked Tschetter, I like Nolan Winter and Jack Robison less than most people.

I know you won't believe it because you're, well you know, you. But I can't think of a single white kid from the burbs I thought we under recruited but I can think of many African American kids. That might not be accurate because unlike you, I don't catalogue the entire world into ethnicity. Tibbets reminds me more of Siyani Chambers than he does Steve Crowl. But not you, you're obsessed with it.

BTW - remember when you were dumb enough to ask people what the difference was between Pitino, Whalen, and Ben Johnson? LOL. Your politics have put whatever intellect you had into the blender. It's dumb take.

To the Tibbets point, that's sort of why we are talking about it. Offering Tibbets would be a "hot take" for that precise reasons. It wouldn't be a controversial take to think we should offer Frietag or Chatman. Those guys and several other players are clear cut D1 basketball players of which we are all unified in wanting to be on the Gophers.

The controversial take is that some of us think Tibbets is vastly underrated by the recruiters. I've been dead wrong on that take with players in the past and I've been right in the past.

I mean Tibbits played AAU last summer and wasn’t even the best guard on his team. His performance at Wayzata doesn’t prove he can play in the Big Ten. It’s not like he is playing vs a bunch of D1 or 2 players during the high school season
Just so that we're all on the same page, I wouldn't be talking about Tibbets if I didn't understand the "why nots", it's sort of the hot take of "ya know, it's unconventional, but I think he can play". So I do get it and I do fully realize it's a hot take.

Second, I wouldn't be talking about it if we were a normal program. I think we're going to have to recruit some players like we're Northern Iowa or Drake. We just have a really long way to go and I'd much rather add someone like Tibbets this year (I wanted Dodd last year) then give scholarships to guys like Ogele or to another walk on. So I'm not talking about Tibbets as being like the solution to our PG issue, I'm talking about him being a veteran guard who can eventually come in and be a spark plug.

Who was better than Tibbets as a guard on that team? I could definitely be missing someone, I've only really seen games on Youtube, but the kid who is playing football from Chaska or Chanhassen was pretty good in that game (I can't remember his name).

Ahh never said he is a starter… Perfect backup…..32 games 36 assists and 22 turnovers. Get your shit straight…
I’m saying over the course of his career, he will
Never be a starter. He also isn’t a great backup guard. Those assist numbers you posted are not good and he isn’t a threat from outside at all

The kid has no issues. High quality kid and family. Highly respected by his coach, teammates and school. Let’s debunk this matter on Hayden.
Thanks for posting this - it's good to hear that there's no underlying stuff. Hopefully he gets an offer or two because he deserves it.

I mean Tibbits played AAU last summer and wasn’t even the best guard on his team. His performance at Wayzata doesn’t prove he can play in the Big Ten. It’s not like he is playing vs a bunch of D1 or 2 players during the high school season
I know nothing about Tibbits other than the two games I watched of him on tv. I was blown away by his speed. I haven't seen someone play that fast with a basketball in their hands in a long time.

The Lakeville North game he was literally playing against a bunch of D1/2 guys (Winter, Robison - Wisconsin, Vaith - Concordia St. Paul) and him and Winter were heads above everyone else on the floor.

FWIW-

Per 247, he’s currently ranked 172,so it seems a stretch to call him a Top 50 recruit; not sure if James knows him/ has coached him etc…Asuma is ranked higher currently BTW.

Also no blue blood offers yet - not sure how a performance in MN basketball tourney is going to move the needle- as he’s been on the AAU circuit already

He definitely needs to put on some weight. 6'9" and only 190 lbs - he'll get destroyed on the boards against top D1 big men.

Just so that we're all on the same page, I wouldn't be talking about Tibbets if I didn't understand the "why nots", it's sort of the hot take of "ya know, it's unconventional, but I think he can play". So I do get it and I do fully realize it's a hot take.

Second, I wouldn't be talking about it if we were a normal program. I think we're going to have to recruit some players like we're Northern Iowa or Drake. We just have a really long way to go and I'd much rather add someone like Tibbets this year (I wanted Dodd last year) then give scholarships to guys like Ogele or to another walk on. So I'm not talking about Tibbets as being like the solution to our PG issue, I'm talking about him being a veteran guard who can eventually come in and be a spark plug.

Who was better than Tibbets as a guard on that team? I could definitely be missing someone, I've only really seen games on Youtube, but the kid who is playing football from Chaska or Chanhassen was pretty good in that game (I can't remember his name).
I understand where you are coming from, but if we give that scholarship to a Dodd, who ended up at Texas A & M Commerce and averaged under 4 points a game, we are doing the Mike Hurt thing all over. People are saying Henley isn't good enough, but then we want to add Tibbits or Dodd, who won't produce anywhere near the level of Henley. I rather not give Ogele a scholarship but don't think taking risk on low upside freshmen is the move either

the Tibbets kid seems to have some ability. the question is how he would stack up vs another recruit at the same position - such as an out-of-state recruit or possibly a portal transfer.

IMHO, there are times when MN fans tend to over-value the local kid just because he's local and they've seen him play more.

in my book, if the Gopher coaches are looking at two players - one local and one from out-of-state - and IF the two players are deemed to be equal in all areas, then yeah, go with the in-state kid. But if the out-of-state kid is better, then you go with the better player.

You don't mention it because you lack any courage whatsoever. This is why you think the world is unfair. The world chews up and spits out cowards. You chalk it up to something wrong with society when it's a something wrong with you.

Nonetheless, I'll address your race baiting. In case you're wondering, there are plenty of unrecruited African American players I have really wanted the U to offer. I was on record on here saying that I would have offered the kid from South Saint Paul last year (Dodd). I would have offered Blue. I never really liked Tschetter, I like Nolan Winter and Jack Robison less than most people.

I know you won't believe it because you're, well you know, you. But I can't think of a single white kid from the burbs I thought we under recruited but I can think of many African American kids. That might not be accurate because unlike you, I don't catalogue the entire world into ethnicity. Tibbets reminds me more of Siyani Chambers than he does Steve Crowl. But not you, you're obsessed with it.

BTW - remember when you were dumb enough to ask people what the difference was between Pitino, Whalen, and Ben Johnson? LOL. Your politics have put whatever intellect you had into the blender. It's dumb take.

To the Tibbets point, that's sort of why we are talking about it. Offering Tibbets would be a "hot take" for that precise reasons. It wouldn't be a controversial take to think we should offer Frietag or Chatman. Those guys and several other players are clear cut D1 basketball players of which we are all unified in wanting to be on the Gophers.

The controversial take is that some of us think Tibbets is vastly underrated by the recruiters. I've been dead wrong on that take with players in the past and I've been right in the past.
Underrated recruit, yes. HM recruit, absolutely not! For some context: good playmaker and a deadly midrange shooter. Not a great defender or 3 point shooter. Flops a lot as well

I understand where you are coming from, but if we give that scholarship to a Dodd, who ended up at Texas A & M Commerce and averaged under 4 points a game, we are doing the Mike Hurt thing all over. People are saying Henley isn't good enough, but then we want to add Tibbits or Dodd, who won't produce anywhere near the level of Henley. I rather not give Ogele a scholarship but don't think taking risk on low upside freshmen is the move either
I agree, I've been wrong on players I thought were good enough.

Let's take Dodd for instance. I think he probably gets playing time on our team last year as a true FR and he wasn't that bad. He played a lot of minutes and did a lot on the "do shit" stats. If we are giving scholarships for 2-3 years on players who don't contribute at all (redshirting players, guys like Ogele, etc.), I think i'd rather roll the dice on Dodd. I thought the same thing with Thiam last year.

The kid has no issues. High quality kid and family. Highly respected by his coach, teammates and school. Let’s debunk this matter on Hayden.
Championship game was the first time I saw him play but gotta believe size is the biggest thing he has working against him. Not just height but weight as well, he just looked really small. Good player and I am sure he will find a spot to play somewhere but it won't be at the D1 level most likely.

yes as far as i know its just basketball.
For this year It will be expanding to include football and such. C-G-B has really been hurting for football numbers the last couple of years and actually had to drop to JV schedule a couple of years ago. I live out in the region so I know this.

He definitely needs to put on some weight. 6'9" and only 190 lbs - he'll get destroyed on the boards against top D1 big men.
He does need to put on weight, but what he showed in the tournament that I hadn't seen much of before when I watched him live was a really good handle, a willingness to drive to the hoop, and more toughness inside. When you combine those things with his quick release and excellent touch, my guess is you're going to get a lot of big-time schools coming after him soon.

There just aren't many kids at 6'9 with the kind of shooting prowess this kid has, and an ability to get his shot off that quickly. Even if he doesn't gain much weight he'll be a great asset for a team.

For this year It will be expanding to include football and such. C-G-B has really been hurting for football numbers the last couple of years and actually had to drop to JV schedule a couple of years ago. I live out in the region so I know this.
Will that push them out of 9 man football?

FWIW-

He's a year and a half from ever setting foot on a college basketball court. At 6'9" he was the best shooter in the tournament. He handles the ball well enough to play the 3 in college right now. At 6'9" he can get his shot off. While thin he is physical and a fighter and most importantly he is a winner big time. From a competitive perspective and intangible skills the guy he reminds me most of is Tre Jones. He's not a post player but is not afraid to take the ball to the basket and fight inside. If he can develop more of an inside game the guy I would compare him to is Rick Rickert. Chatman is ranked 30th by 247, McAndrew has a much higher ceiling and is probably better right now.

He's a year and a half from ever setting foot on a college basketball court. At 6'9" he was the best shooter in the tournament. He handles the ball well enough to play the 3 in college right now. At 6'9" he can get his shot off. While thin he is physical and a fighter and most importantly he is a winner big time. From a competitive perspective and intangible skills the guy he reminds me most of is Tre Jones. He's not a post player but is not afraid to take the ball to the basket and fight inside. If he can develop more of an inside game the guy I would compare him to is Rick Rickert. Chatman is ranked 30th by 247, McAndrew has a much higher ceiling and is probably better right now.
Rarely do recruits jump that high because the other guys in front of him are better in reality or at least in theory. Oh, and their games will likely improve as well (if you’re saying it will for him, then you cannot reasonably say it won’t for others, as that’s how logic functions); he’s not ascending a static ladder, it’s in motion, just as all things in life, per psychics.

Lastly dominating against HS competition isn’t what moves the needle, it’s how he performs in AAU circuit, as then he’s facing similar competition - not my opinion, but a general consensus of posters on the board.

Last edited:

Walk on at St Thomas. Would’ve been perfect to walk on at the U.
Not sure I agree with that sentiment. To me a place like St. Thomas makes way more sense because he will have a more realistic chance of seeing playing time at his size.

Bump for an update - or non-update.

The MSHSL Executive Board met this week. there was a proposal on the agenda for Seeding the State Basketball tournament teams from 1 to 8. and guess what - they decided they needed to study it further. color me shocked.

The Board tables the proposal from Basketball for seeding 1-8 and asks League staff to study seeding more comprehensively across sports. Information will be brought to the Board at its August Board meeting for the Board to review.

Bumping again - we have a decision (sort of) on Seeding state tournaments.

the MSHSL board met and voted to adopt a new policy for seeding State Tournaments - starting with the '24-25 school year.

in a nutshell:
Each team sport that holds a State Tournament may choose its own seeding option - they have three choices:
1. seed State Tournament 1-8
2. seed 1-5 with random draw for remaining teams
3. no seeding with matchups by section (1 vs 3, 2 vs 4 and so on)

the option chosen will be in effect for 4 years.

in sports with multiple classes like basketball, the same seeding option applies to all classes.
and for sports that have both boys and girls (like hoops), the same seeding option must be used for both boys and girls.

in short - the MSHSL chose by not making a choice. telling the sports "you choose!"

the MSHSL - passing the buck and ducking responsibility in order to send an example to the young people of the state.

ARRRRGH!!!!!!

Top Bottom