Moving on...Streveler

diefirma

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about Streveler except last year during spring practice Kill said Streveler was the fastest person on the team. Coach Kill amended that a few days later by saying Streveler was probably the fastest person on the team in the first 10 yards. I doubt both of those statements - not that coach Kill was lying but, like every other coach, was just a little bit over enthusiastic about a new recruit. The point was made however, Streveler is quick and/or fast or both.

I didn’t notice any super speed in the spring game but he didn’t get a lot of opportunity and I wasn’t watching him closely. The few passes he threw seemed about as good as Nelson’s or Leidner’s

Anyone closer to the team than I, have any further insight into Chris’s strengths and weaknesses?

I watched his Hudl tape, and I'm no coach or anything, and they did not show a lot of throws, but he does have what looks like an unconventional throwing motion, but I can live with it. It is a short motion, and he holds the ball higher and get it out very quickly. His motion usually equates to a low release point, but it does not with Chris. But when he steps into a throw, his left (forward) foot strides out to the left, like a baseball pitcher striding to first base rather than driving his foot to the target. With Phil leaving, and assuming our receivers grow into their roles, and we get something the staff likes in recruiting, I think Chris could do really well in this offense.

I thought I read somewhere that they are pleasantly surprised by his speed and his ability to run. I hope that is not just wishful thinking on my part but I am pretty sure that is correct.

I thought I read somewhere that they are pleasantly surprised by his speed and his ability to run. I hope that is not just wishful thinking on my part but I am pretty sure that is correct.

I just read that, Killjoy. Your post said it, so I read it. :)

Streveler is the archetype Kill/limegrover QB. I firmly believe that he will be taking snaps a few times a game this fall. The guy reminds me of Taylor Martinez. Horrible throwing motion but he gets it done and he can run.

im thinking an edwards streveler backfield is going to be mighty fast.

Please don't post thread titles like that, you about gave me a heart attack with me thinking that Streveler announced he was moving on and I thought we were down 2 QB's, LOL!!

Please don't post thread titles like that, you about gave me a heart attack with me thinking that Streveler announced he was moving on and I thought we were down 2 QB's, LOL!!

and then there was the "This is the time of year that Maxx decided to transfer" thread that gave everybody else a heart attack

His arm strength will be a challenge for him to see the field. There some question if he will be able to throw after the thumb surgery on his throwing hand

I went to a few of the practices/scrimmages and I still can't tell you a ton about Streveler. He moves really well. I don't think he's the fastest guy on the team (that's probably Edwards, Jones, Thompson). However, he is fast enough to be a good WR, so he'd be a really fast QB.

I don't know enough about mechanics to comment on his mechanics. The bit I saw him throw the ball, he looked a tad behind Leidner or Nelson. That means very little because of his newness to the program and the sample size.

In conclusion, he's kind of a mystery. We know he's a good athlete and I think it's safe to expect him to be a good runner in our system. As far as throwing, it's nearly impossible to guess.

I've heard that due to the broken hand he suffered this fall, he can't grip and release the football like he needs to. This is one of the reasons the staff talked about moving him to WR.

We still have Foreman and Rhoda that have been around awhile. If Chris cant go at QB then we better hope that McKinzy can step in and be decent if Mitch gets an injury

We still have Foreman and Rhoda that have been around awhile. If Chris cant go at QB then we better hope that McKinzy can step in and be decent if Mitch gets an injury

I'm not trying to write off Foreman, but this staff doesn't seem to trust him. Last year, we talked about moving KJ Maye to QB in lieu of Foreman seeing the field. I could be wrong and hopefully he can real play.

Rhoda has only been around this year (he's a true FR). He might play, he has a big arm. He might have the best arm on the team.

Michael Conway is another guy. He is a walk-on who redshirted this past season and he chose a PWO here over an offer from NDSU (He also had PWO offers from Iowa and WI). He is a MN guy (La Crescent) who went to HS in La Crosse. Here are his HS highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1166930/highlights/29072378

I've heard that due to the broken hand he suffered this fall, he can't grip and release the football like he needs to. This is one of the reasons the staff talked about moving him to WR.
Coach Kill has said that they need to wait until spring to determine how successful the surgery was to his hand. If it was successful Streveler will be a quarterback otherwise he's a wide receiver.

Sorry! You are right. I didn't even think of that - it is not easy going through life being stupid!

Sorry! You are right. I didn't even think of that - it is not easy going through life being stupid!

No worries, other than the misleading thread title I enjoyed your posts.

Some of us are hoping McKinzy beats Mitch out. I don't think starting a true freshman is a good idea - I just hope he is so good the coaches have no choice.

Some of us are hoping McKinzy beats Mitch out. I don't think starting a true freshman is a good idea - I just hope he is so good the coaches have no choice.

If McKinzy does beat out Leidner, then Leidner can transfer out as well & recruit someone better. No biggie. If McKinzy doesn't look great when given the opportunity as a Freshman we can write him off and start whoever we recruit next year, in 2015. If it's 7 different QB's in 5 years so be it. Like sales, it's a just numbers game, eventually we'll fine the guy.

I'm not trying to write off Foreman, but this staff doesn't seem to trust him. Last year, we talked about moving KJ Maye to QB in lieu of Foreman seeing the field. I could be wrong and hopefully he can real play.

Rhoda has only been around this year (he's a true FR). He might play, he has a big arm. He might have the best arm on the team.

Michael Conway is another guy. He is a walk-on who redshirted this past season and he chose a PWO here over an offer from NDSU (He also had PWO offers from Iowa and WI). He is a MN guy (La Crescent) who went to HS in La Crosse. Here are his HS highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1166930/highlights/29072378

If we get to a point where we are seriously considering playing Maye, Foreman, Rhoda, or Conway at QB the wheels will officially have come off and we will be in a lot of trouble.

I don't think you can just dismiss those guys...

If we get to a point where we are seriously considering playing Maye, Foreman, Rhoda, or Conway at QB the wheels will officially have come off and we will be in a lot of trouble.

I don't think we know that Rhoda and Conway can't play? Rhoda musta gained some strength and weight.
He has a nice delivery. I have not seen Conway but he had good press.

How about this? What about Donavahn Jones returning to quarterback? Maybe he or McKinzy is electric?
We run more than we throw. They'll figure it out, I'm guessing.

I don't think we know that Rhoda and Conway can't play? Rhoda musta gained some strength and weight.
He has a nice delivery. I have not seen Conway but he had good press.

How about this? What about Donavahn Jones returning to quarterback? Maybe he or McKinzy is electric?
We run more than we throw. They'll figure it out, I'm guessing.

I am sure someone has the stat or would know how to find it but I would feel very confident saying the number of starting QB's in the Big Ten or even BCS level that were walkons is extremely low. Not to take anything away from those guys but typically your walk on QB's are the 4th and 5th stringers who become your scout team guys and are never really in the mix to see the field.

I will freely admit I know next to nothing about those guys (Rhoda, Conway) but I would be shocked if they are in the mix at all at the QB position in terms of being viable options to play in any situation other then a complete disaster where all the scholarship guys are out of the picture.

I am sure someone has the stat or would know how to find it but I would feel very confident saying the number of starting QB's in the Big Ten or even BCS level that were walkons is extremely low. Not to take anything away from those guys but typically your walk on QB's are the 4th and 5th stringers who become your scout team guys and are never really in the mix to see the field.

I will freely admit I know next to nothing about those guys (Rhoda, Conway) but I would be shocked if they are in the mix at all at the QB position in terms of being viable options to play in any situation other then a complete disaster where all the scholarship guys are out of the picture.

Joel Stave was a walk-on and started as a RS Freshman for Bucky. Ron Kellogg was a walk-on at NEB and pulled off one of the more fantastic finishes you will ever see and played fairly well at the end of the season. Matt McGloin was a walk-on at PSU and is now in the NFL. Not saying it happens frequently, nor that Rhoda or Conway are destined for greatness, but a walk-on QB making a significant impact in the Big 10 might not be as rare as you think.

If Chris can fill the role Mitch did this year the team will be in good shape - the WR took allot of flak from the fans but the QB play was very below avg and the accuracy showed it. Engel and Williams were open on many routes that were missed during the season. Play calling was too conservative in Non conference and ran our Qb's way too much - that's the time to work on your pass game like when Max took over against Western Michigan

Yep. But half of GH thinks the Nelson transfer is no big deal and somehow we'll be better off w/o a junior QB who started 15+ games as an underclassman.

Yep. But half of GH thinks the Nelson transfer is no big deal and somehow we'll be better off w/o a junior QB who started 15+ games as an underclassman.

Obviously it's trouble if you end up with your third string QB starting. Those guys were only brought up in the discussion of our QB depth. So yeah, the wheels have fallen off in the QB situation if we are playing our third stringer (like just about every team in the country).

But yeah, I agree with you, people who argue that the Nelson loss isn't a big deal are being naïve.

The more balance we do from run to pass will attract better Qb's and WR. Right now the top talent might think twice of playing in a run system

The more balance we do from run to pass will attract better Qb's and WR. Right now the top talent might think twice of playing in a run system

Kill and Limegrover always have had a run first system. That's why I find it amusing when posters are trying to say Nelson wasn't that great during the win streak because he only completed X number of passes each game. That's the ideal plan with this offense. Nelson and his dad knew this when they committed.

Kill and Limegrover always have had a run first system. That's why I find it amusing when posters are trying to say Nelson wasn't that great during the win streak because he only completed X number of passes each game. That's the ideal plan with this offense. Nelson and his dad knew this when they committed.

The ratio is out of whack with MN this year ! Limegrover admitted it with the Iowa game ! All the good teams have a balance - Kill promised more balance in the recruitment

Top Bottom