4. The Shawshank Redemption
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Lone Star
8. Into the Wild
9. Cinema Paradiso
10. Almost Famous
11. Saving Private Ryan

Sometime spring of 2020, I started making an effort to re-watch all of these. A few I was able to rewatch in classic cinema showings back in a theater, including Shawshank, Lawrence of Arabia & Saving Private Ryan. I'm down to only needing to revisit The Player (#2).

In order to make this a Top Dozen, I am going with another film I saw in a theater last year: Goodfellas.

While none of the re-watching the films has caused to me remove any of my beloved films, the one I watched over the weekend is an interesting case. That would be Cinema Paradiso.

What makes it interesting is when this was released in the US, it had been shortened from the Director (Giuseppe Tornatore) original cut of 155 minutes which bombed in the Italian box offices, to 124 minutes by Miramax.

This shorter version is what I originally saw just before it won the 1989 Oscar for Best Foreign Language film. The famous ending is perhaps the most emotional one I have ever seen that does not involve a death or life being saved. It's truly powerful, with a payoff up there with Shawshank.

There was later yet another Director's cut of 174 minutes released in theaters 2002 and is what I saw this weekend. The cut adds about an hour long 3rd act. It dramatically changes the story as there is a romance rekindled and some details about the previous go around when they were kids are explained.

As Roger Ebert points out, it's as if this movie version is it's own sequel. I still like it, quite a bit.

However, I sort of doubt this version would have been in my Top 10 (or 12). While this new extension of the story is quite good and provides closure to some mysteries in the characters lives, it does detract from the powerfulness of the ending a little bit.

Anyways, it's still great. I'm sure this picture made me realize that a foreign film with subtitles can still be embraced.

Also I have read that there is a 6 part mini-series in the works by the director who also wrote the original story.

Last edited:

In another thread this is what I identified as my 11 favorite movies:

1. The Right Stuff
2. The Player
3. LA Confidential
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Lone Star
8. Into the Wild
9. Cinema Paradiso
10. Almost Famous
11. Saving Private Ryan

Sometime spring of 2020, I started making an effort to re-watch all of these. A few I was able to rewatch in classic cinema showings back in a theater, including Shawshank, Lawrence of Arabia & Saving Private Ryan. I'm down to only needing to revisit The Player (#2).

In order to make this a Top Dozen, I am going with another film I saw in a theater last year: Goodfellas.

While none of the re-watching the films has caused to me remove any of my beloved films, the one I watched over the weekend is an interesting case. That would be Cinema Paradiso.

What makes it interesting is when this was released in the US, it had been shortened from the Director (Giuseppe Tornatore) original cut of 155 minutes which bombed in the Italian box offices, to 124 minutes by Miramax.

This shorter version is what I originally saw just before it won the 1989 Oscar for Best Foreign Language film. The famous ending is perhaps the most emotional one I have ever seen that does not involve a death or life being saved. It's truly powerful, with a payoff up there with Shawshank.

There was later yet another Director's cut of 174 minutes released in theaters early this 2002 and is what I saw this weekend. The cut adds about an hour long 3rd act. It dramatically changes the story as there is a romance rekindled and some details about the previous go around when they were kids are explained.

As Roger Ebert points out, it's as if this movie version is it's own sequel. I still like it, quite a bit.

However, I sort of doubt this version would have been in my Top 10 (or 12). While this new extension of the story is quite good and provides closure to some mysteries in the characters lives, it does detract from the powerfulness of the ending a little bit.

Anyways, it's still great. I'm sure this picture made me realize that a foreign film with subtitles can still be embraced.

Also I have read that there is a 6 part mini-series in the works by the director who also wrote the original story.
I've seen Cinema Paradisio several times but never the extended version. Didn't even know there was one. Thanks!

I've seen Cinema Paradisio several times but never the extended version. Didn't even know there was one. Thanks!

It's definitely worth checking out. I tried to leave out as much detail as possible to avoid spoiling it for anyone wishing to view it.

I'll just say...Alfredo was always a 'rascal'.

s
In another thread this is what I identified as my 11 favorite movies:

1. The Right Stuff
2. The Player
3. LA Confidential
5. Lawrence of Arabia
6. The Royal Tenenbaums
7. Lone Star
8. Into the Wild
9. Cinema Paradiso
10. Almost Famous
11. Saving Private Ryan

There was later yet another Director's cut of 174 minutes released in theaters 2002 and is what I saw this weekend. The cut adds about an hour long 3rd act. It dramatically changes the story as there is a romance rekindled and some details about the previous go around when they were kids are explained.

So, if Good Fellas is #12, what's your Baker's Dozen? :cool:

Interesting stuff on Cinema Paradiso, I watched it once, absolutely loved it, it's one of the few movies I've bought digitally on Apple because A) the price was right; and B) it's a movie I'd like to have at my fingertips to watch whenever I'd like, but haven't made it back around to watching again. I'll do so soon.

So, if Good Fellas is #12, what's your Baker's Dozen? :cool:

Interesting stuff on Cinema Paradiso, I watched it once, absolutely loved it, it's one of the few movies I've bought digitally on Apple because A) the price was right; and B) it's a movie I'd like to have at my fingertips to watch whenever I'd like, but haven't made it back around to watching again. I'll do so soon.

Based on volume alone in terms of discussion is this forum as well as how many times I go back to watching it (6 times since wrote the list in 2020), it's got to be Dazed and Confused. I did have it in my honorable mention list originally.

The only other contender in my internal debate is The Big Lebowski.

Other movies from this decade (since I came with the list) to consider are CODA, Licorice Pizza, The Worst Person in the World, Summer of Soul & The Fabelmans.

lists are tricky. there are movies that are really well-made, but don't resonate with me on an emotional level. and other movies that are admittedly less well-made, but just strike a chord with me.

but if I had to come up with a short list of favorite movies: (no ranking - general list)

King Kong (1933)
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach
Winchester '73
Forbidden Planet
Earth versus the Flying Saucers
The Thing From Another World
The Four Feathers (1939)

beyond that, I could list dozens of movies I really like - Westerns, Film Noir, Science Fiction, Gangster movies, swashbucklers and more. but the ones I listed above are the ones I just keep coming back to. I have probably watched The Thing and King Kong more often than any other movies on the list.

lists are tricky. there are movies that are really well-made, but don't resonate with me on an emotional level. and other movies that are admittedly less well-made, but just strike a chord with me.

but if I had to come up with a short list of favorite movies: (no ranking - general list)

King Kong (1933)
The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach
Winchester '73
Forbidden Planet
Earth versus the Flying Saucers
The Thing From Another World
The Four Feathers (1939)

beyond that, I could list dozens of movies I really like - Westerns, Film Noir, Science Fiction, Gangster movies, swashbucklers and more. but the ones I listed above are the ones I just keep coming back to. I have probably watched The Thing and King Kong more often than any other movies on the list.

Indeed, and I do make a distinction as my list is "my favorite" as opposed to "the Best", though I would imagine there is lots of crossover. In looking at last years Oscar Best Picture nominees, there were 4 that I enjoyed more than Oppenheimer: American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers & Past Lives.

Even so, I still think Oppenheimer was the deserving Winner of Best Picture, and what I would have voted for if given the opportunity.

Just as your movies are the ones "you just keep coming back to", I think each movie on my list I have seen at least five times, expect Lawrence of Arabia. That one is only because it's just not as epic on a TV screen. First time I saw it was a re-issue at The Cooper Theater. RIP.

as you can see, everything on my list is from the 1950's or earlier.

I have this thing where older movies - especially black and white movies - just seem more "timeless" to me. while newer movies and color movies can seem dated.

I used to be someone who went to the movies all the time - in the days before cable TV, VCR's, DVD's and streaming. I'd go to movies that I knew almost nothing about because I liked some actor who was in the cast. I went to Midnight movies in the Twin Cities when I was in college. Nothing like "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" at Midnight when 90% of the people in the theater are stoned.

but as I get older, I go to new movies much less often, and I go to movies in the theater much less often. I did see Oppenheimer on Peacock, and that was excellent.

but as I get older, I go to new movies much less often, and I go to movies in the theater much less often. I did see Oppenheimer on Peacock, and that was excellent.
If you still have Peacock, I would encourage you to see The Holdovers. Not, b&w but shot in a timeless fashion. The director and cinematographer intentionally tried to make it look as though it was shot in the 70s (when it is set) down the credits graphics/font.

The succeeded. Very similar look, feel and sound to something like Harold and Maude.

Watched Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World again. 3rd time now I believe. Still great. Was always hoping there would be a sequel, but to no avail.

We watched 8MM last night for the first time since it was originally released. I had forgotten just how dark of a movie it is.

It might be Nick Cage's best performance supported by the likes of Joaquin Phoenix, James Gandolfini, Catherine Keener, Chris Bauer and one of the most underrated character actors, Peter Stormare. That dude is wonderfully creepy in all of his roles. A very young Norman Reedus also has a small role.

Alright, I'll jump into the Baker's Dozen fray of favorite movies, with the criteria laid out by Ope how I approached the task--definitely some popcorn movies on the list, but all movies that I enjoy coming back to view on repeated occasions:

Dazed & Confused
Almost Famous
The Princess Bride
Cool Hand Luke (duh)
12 Angry Men
The Day of the Jackal
When Harry Met Sally
Kill Bill, Volume 1
The Warriors
Raising Arizona
Stand by Me
Rear Window
The Shawshank Redemption

Tough to get down to this list--everything from Terminator 2 to Ordinary People to Sixteen Candles was in contention and there's a few movies (Paradiso, for one) that I feel like if I went back to watch again would bump something from this list. I happened to rewatch The Day of the Jackal last night (the original, from 1973) and I don't think it'll ever be bumped from this list--never have I seen such a taut thriller-the fastest 2 and a half hours you'll ever spend with a film.

Alright, I'll jump into the Baker's Dozen fray of favorite movies, with the criteria laid out by Ope how I approached the task--definitely some popcorn movies on the list, but all movies that I enjoy coming back to view on repeated occasions:

Dazed & Confused
Almost Famous
The Princess Bride
Cool Hand Luke (duh)
12 Angry Men
The Day of the Jackal
When Harry Met Sally
Kill Bill, Volume 1
The Warriors
Raising Arizona
Stand by Me
Rear Window
The Shawshank Redemption
Awesome list.

Dazed & Confused
Almost Famous
The Princess Bride
Cool Hand Luke (duh)
12 Angry Men
The Day of the Jackal
When Harry Met Sally
Kill Bill, Volume 1
The Warriors
Raising Arizona
Stand by Me
Rear Window
The Shawshank Redemption

Tough to get down to this list--everything from Terminator 2 to Ordinary People to Sixteen Candles was in contention and there's a few movies (Paradiso, for one) that I feel like if I went back to watch again would bump something from this list. I happened to rewatch The Day of the Jackal last night (the original, from 1973) and I don't think it'll ever be bumped from this list--never have I seen such a taut thriller-the fastest 2 and a half hours you'll ever spend with a film.
Great list and not surprised of the few we cross over on.

The only one I remotely question is Kill Bill Vol 1. I do think it's a pretty good movie, but there are several other QT films I like better, a few much better (Pulp Fiction, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood & Inglorious Bastards).

Also because of the time commitment of watching it along with Vol 2, I just don't come back to them often. Other than original theater viewing, I've only revisited once at home. Over due though, Uma Thurman was amazing.

My list of favorite movies in no particular order.

Dazed and Confused
Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Rollerball (1975 version)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Mad Max (1979)
The Big Night
Raising Arizona
The Shining
Animal House
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange

Dazed and Confused
Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
Mad Max (1979)
The Big Night
Raising Arizona
The Shining
Animal House
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange

You and @coolhandgopher have me questioning that I have not given Raising Arizona it's proper due.

I like it and totally understand it's inclusion, but personally I have not gone back to it any time this century while I have revisited several other Coen Brother films multiple times.

You and @coolhandgopher have me questioning that I have not given Raising Arizona it's proper due.

I like it and totally understand it's inclusion, but personally I have not gone back to it any time this century while I have revisited several other Coen Brother films multiple times.
I probably wouldn't have put on the list a few years ago, but I rewatched it after a long break and loved it.

Dazed and Confused
Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
Mad Max (1979)
The Big Night
Raising Arizona
The Shining
Animal House
Apocalypse Now
A Clockwork Orange
I love seeing Big Night on your list, what a great little movie that was-such a great period for independent films, those mid to late ‘90s. Seeing Rollerball on your list is going to compel me to finally watch it-love me some James Caan and Bill Simmons for years, I just assumed it was a bit kitschy and/or dated.

Nicolas Cage’s theft of the Huggies puts it over the top for me with Coen Bros. movies (with best supporting actor to the little boy writing Fart on Hi’s living room wall)

I think it’s at the top of my list because it feels like the Coens are still playing in the sandbox a bit, without much polish, but with a wonderfully zany script and a great cast that’s still early in their careers playing eccentric characters and stealing scenes all over the place.

I love seeing Big Night on your list, what a great little movie that was-such a great period for independent films, those mid to late ‘90s. Seeing Rollerball on your list is going to compel me to finally watch it-love me some James Caan and Bill Simmons for years, I just assumed it was a bit kitschy and/or dated.
I went to see Rollerball at the Trylon a few years ago. The "younger" crowd that was there laughed at it the whole way through. I still love it though.

Dazed & Confused
Almost Famous
The Princess Bride
Cool Hand Luke (duh)
12 Angry Men
The Day of the Jackal
When Harry Met Sally
Kill Bill, Volume 1
The Warriors
Raising Arizona
Stand by Me
Rear Window
The Shawshank Redemption
The bolded would all be in contention for me. And most of the others are great picks too.

This is impossible. I actually have a list of my favorite 100 movies. I could do this all on just 80s comedies (which is what I grew up with). Here is a list that tries to get some variety. I can watch every one of these over and over and never get tired of it.

The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally...
Rear Window
Caddyshack
Three Amigos
Vacation
Sixteen Candles
Fargo
Die Hard
The Truman Show
Boyz N the Hood
Cape Fear
Inglourious Basterds (The first 20 minutes alone is maybe the most perfect scene ever filmed)

This is impossible. I actually have a list of my favorite 100 movies. I could do this all on just 80s comedies (which is what I grew up with). Here is a list that tries to get some variety. I can watch every one of these over and over and never get tired of it.

The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally...
Rear Window
Caddyshack
Three Amigos
Vacation
Sixteen Candles
Fargo
Die Hard
The Truman Show
Boyz N the Hood
Cape Fear
Inglourious Basterds (The first 20 minutes alone is maybe the most perfect scene ever filmed)
That's a whole lot of Chevy Chase. No judgement, especially with Vacation & Caddyshack.

Great list and not surprised of the few we cross over on.

The only one I remotely question is Kill Bill Vol 1. I do think it's a pretty good movie, but there are several other QT films I like better, a few much better (Pulp Fiction, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood & Inglorious Bastards).

Also because of the time commitment of watching it along with Vol 2, I just don't come back to them often. Other than original theater viewing, I've only revisited once at home. Over due though, Uma Thurman was amazing.
I think what puts Kill Bill over the top for me is the entire last act, from the anime scene introducing Lucy Liu's O-Ren until the final sword fight between her and Uma Thurman in the Japanese garden. Just all sorts of inventive and beautiful film making happening there.

I also separate the two Kill Bill's pretty easily in my mind--I don't have nearly the same affinity for Volume 2.

And I should also state, my ability to rewatch Kill Bill often versus some of Tarantino's later movies (Inglorious Basterds, Once Upon a Time. . .) also could have contributed to its spot on my list--I just haven't seen the latter movies as often, as great as they are.

The Princess Bride
When Harry Met Sally...
Rear Window
Caddyshack
Three Amigos
Vacation
Sixteen Candles
Fargo
Die Hard
The Truman Show
Boyz N the Hood
Cape Fear
Sixteen Candles and Die Hard were late cuts on my list. And to your Boyz N the Hood, I counter with Menace II Society (and there's room for both on the dais)

I'm working on a list of 500 Movies to pass along to my boys when they're older as a slice of their old man's movie taste, but honestly, it's mostly an exercise for my own purposes. I'm currently slightly over 300 movies and there's a few things I've learned along the way:
* I've watched a lot of movies--but there's still a lot of gaps in my viewing history--so many great films made over the years
* The '80s hold up very well, IMO, and I don't think it's entirely my bias towards the period in which I grew up. The '70s may deservedly hold the title for best decade of film, but the '80s (as attested by the podcast) is a great decade for rewatchable movies.
* Westerns are a timeless genre. I'm going to be poring over SON's list, because those movies just deliver time and time again. Once Upon a Time in the West was another late cut on the list I shared.
* A movie often needs a few years to breath before putting it/keeping it on the list. I've had a few movies that I loved in the moment and when I glance back through the list, I find it hard to recall not only why I ever had it on the list in the first place, but some of the main plot points of the film.

* The '80s hold up very well, IMO, and I don't think it's entirely my bias towards the period in which I grew up. The '70s may deservedly hold the title for best decade of film, but the '80s (as attested by the podcast) is a great decade for rewatchable movies.
Your post and the MNF game fizzling out prompted me to revisit this classic Siskel & Ebert 10 Best of the 1980s episode.

From each's T5, I haven't seen Shoah in full but otherwise the only one I am not nearly as enthusiastic about was My Dinner with Andre. Perhaps I was just too young when I originally watched it and would feel different now.

Both have The Right Stuff on their list (my #1 All Timer). I hope Siskel is eventually proven correct on a 70mm re-release.

They were spot on about their prediction of the durability of E.T.

I can't argue with either about how great Raging Bull is but that gets into the "best vs favorite" internal debate. I just don't revisit it that often, despite everything I admire about it. On the other hand, Scorsese's Goodfellas I can rewatch over as over.

At the end, also there is a brief epilogue as to how it stacks up with the 70s.

Last edited:

Your post in the MNF game fizzling out prompted me to revisit this classic Siskel & Ebert 10 Best of the 1980s episode.

From each's T5, I haven't seen Shoah in full but otherwise the only one I am not nearly as enthusiastic about was My Dinner with Andre. Perhaps I was just too young when I originally watched it and would feel different now.

Both have The Right Stuff on their list (my #1 All Timer). I hope Siskel is eventually proven correct on a 70mm re-release.

They were spot on about their prediction of the durability of E.T.

I can't argue with either about how great Raging Bull is but that gets into the "best vs favorite" internal debate. I just don't revisit it that often, despite everything I admire about it. On the other hand, Scorsese's Goodfellas I can rewatch over as over.

At the end, also there is a brief epilogue as to how it stacks up with the 70s.
Man, the nostalgia this tapped into for me—my memory is foggy, but I think I began watching Siskel & Ebert on PBS (channel 2) and they were definitely formative in my love for movies.

Regarding The Right Stuff, I had no idea it was so highly regarded-it hit the theaters in that spot where I was just a bit too young to see it and never have. I will track it down soon.

As for My Dinner With Andre, another movie I have been aware of but never seen-I wonder if Linklater’s Before Sunrise trilogy has the same feel.

Man, the nostalgia this tapped into for me—my memory is foggy, but I think I began watching Siskel & Ebert on PBS (channel 2) and they were definitely formative in my love for movies.

Regarding The Right Stuff, I had no idea it was so highly regarded-it hit the theaters in that spot where I was just a bit too young to see it and never have. I will track it down soon.

By the time The Right Stuff was released, I was 15 so still formative in being able to appreciate films beyond the "popcorn" genre. The night my family saw it, we actually intended to see Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom, but it was sold out. We were still in the mood to see a movie and able to track across town (Northfield) to see The Right Stuff.

My dad had raved about the book already. I know I had seen Siskel & Ebert both give it Two Big Thumbs Up so we gave it a go.

Although my younger brother was most disappointed about not seeing Indy (he probably had to be bribed with Snow Caps or something), even he was impressed by the movie.

As for My Dinner With Andre, another movie I have been aware of but never seen-I wonder if Linklater’s Before Sunrise trilogy has the same feel.

I think that's a good analogy, from what I recall. Since I do revere the Before Sunset, Sunrise & Midnight trilogy so much, I am guessing I would appreciate it more now.

Top Bottom