Most likely transfer portal targets according to Gopherhole

That's just not true. If it was, he'd likely already have transferred here.

It has been reported before that Walton would not be a high priority for Johnson if he did enter the portal. This board continues to vastly overrate his abilities just because he was once a 4* from MN.
I can't speak for everyone, but I do like Kerwin a lot. I would have to think any player who played 20 min a game as a freshman for Roy Williams and shot 52.5% from the floor and 42% from three would be a quality transfer here. We are coming off finishing dead last in the B1G and he clearly has some physical talent. Does it help he is from MN, sure but again I can't imagine there are too many kids with his freshman stat line that we wouldnt be happy about here. This year was tougher to watch for Kerwin but new coach and they found a rhythm so I would certainly take my chances. I can almost guarantee you that as a freshman at UNC Stephens, Sutherlin, Loewe, Willis or anyone else we played last year wouldn't put up those numbers so I dont think adding Kerwin would be a step backwards!

I can't speak for everyone, but I do like Kerwin a lot. I would have to think any player who played 20 min a game as a freshman for Roy Williams and shot 52.5% from the floor and 42% from three would be a quality transfer here. We are coming off finishing dead last in the B1G and he clearly has some physical talent. Does it help he is from MN, sure but again I can't imagine there are too many kids with his freshman stat line that we wouldnt be happy about here. This year was tougher to watch for Kerwin but new coach and they found a rhythm so I would certainly take my chances. I can almost guarantee you that as a freshman at UNC Stephens, Sutherlin, Loewe, Willis or anyone else we played last year wouldn't put up those numbers so I dont think adding Kerwin would be a step backwards!
I agree. He is talented, a good shooter, and has good size. Maybe he was buried last year due to defense, but the guards on UNC played great down the stretch.

And I would be very excited about Walton not just because he is from Minnesota and that makes him better than all the other transfers, but he is from Minnesota and maybe that fact makes him more interested in coming home. It’s the hometown connection that can give us a better shot right now and can build success and winning that hopefully in the future we don’t have to rely so heavily on geography.

It has been reported before that Walton would not be a high priority for Johnson if he did enter the portal. This board continues to vastly overrate his abilities just because he was once a 4* from MN.
What a joke. Walton hasn't transferred here because he doesn't know for sure he will be a starter? But he might stay at NC because he probably won't be a starter there?

Check the weather report. Might be winds blowing from 16 directions out there.

What a joke. Walton hasn't transferred here because he doesn't know for sure he will be a starter? But he might stay at NC because he probably won't be a starter there?

At UNC he's at best their 7th man, more likely 8-11

I'm done waiting for Walton to see what he wants to do. We have 2 spots still open and we need a guard. Stewart or Strong can have it right now IMO.

Comically bad take.

What are you even talking about? Maybe there are more important things to Walton than playing basketball long term? Maybe he likes UNC more than MN? Maybe Walton is ok playing sparingly on a team that has a legit shot of winning the national championship next season?

A legit source has stated that Walton would not be high on Ben Johnson's list to return him to MN. That should make a ton of sense to the biggest Ben defenders on here, yet you guys still can't fathom how that would be the case?

Everyone who has defended Ben since his hiring has stated he's not going to sacrifice his culture for any player. That he wants guards and wings who can handle the ball and defend above all else. Those are two things Walton is not good at. And he wasn't good at shooting this season either. That's why he didn't play any meaningful minutes down the stretch at UNC this season.

If Walton was set on transferring back here, and Ben was set on taking him, this would have happened by now.

What are you even talking about? Maybe there are more important things to Walton than playing basketball long term? Maybe he likes UNC more than MN? Maybe Walton is ok playing sparingly on a team that has a legit shot of winning the national championship next season?

A legit source has stated that Walton would not be high on Ben Johnson's list to return him to MN. That should make a ton of sense to the biggest Ben defenders on here, yet you guys still can't fathom how that would be the case?

Everyone who has defended Ben since his hiring has stated he's not going to sacrifice his culture for any player. That he wants guards and wings who can handle the ball and defend above all else. Those are two things Walton is not good at. And he wasn't good at shooting this season either. That's why he didn't play any meaningful minutes down the stretch at UNC this season.

If Walton was set on transferring back here, and Ben was set on taking him, this would have happened by now.
Garbage flying in all directions.

I honestly can't remember the "legit source" but if it was Doogie, I think his sources are as good as mine (which is zero).

I just think that if Kerwin wasn't a highly rated prospect out of Minnesota people on this forum would be way more critical of his last season at UNC. But that bias is nothing new, it's just funny to see it time and time again.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good player for us, but I don't see why Kerwin riding the bench all of last season indicates that he would immediately be a day one starter playing 30+ minutes a game.

I just think that if Kerwin wasn't a highly rated prospect out of Minnesota people on this forum would be way more critical of his last season at UNC. But that bias is nothing new, it's just funny to see it time and time again.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good player for us, but I don't see why Kerwin riding the bench all of last season indicates that he would immediately be a day one starter playing 30+ minutes a game.
I get what you are saying, and I know similar things were said about Willis the first time he transferred here. I agree about the home town bias, but I also think (and I will claim myself) that being high on Kerwin is linked to our current inadequacies at guard. We need a guard who can shoot and we do have evidence that Kerwin can shoot. Many of us also live in mind frame that blue blood bench warmers are starters at lower level places like the U. Perhaps true and perhaps not, but it is believed.

Kerwin is probably not THE answer, but I think he can be part of the answer and is likely as good as, if not better, than our current shooting guard options.

If I'm the staff and he fits in the locker room, I offer him if he comes available.

You need to go back to his excellent freshman year. Did he lose all his skills as a player in a couple months? Doubtful. What changed was a new coach who had different ideas of how to use a very talented and deep roster.

Since we don't have North Carolina talent and depth it's a real safe bet he can start here and play 25-30 minutes a game.

I think that's fair, but I'd rather take a shot on him than some random transfer out there. He's talented. He may simply need a chance of scenery and a reality check. I am certainly not predicting he changes the course of Gopher basketball, but IMO he's a better option than some of what we are sniffing around. Plus, we have 2 scholarships available.

I get what you are saying, and I know similar things were said about Willis the first time he transferred here. I agree about the home town bias, but I also think (and I will claim myself) that being high on Kerwin is linked to our current inadequacies at guard. We need a guard who can shoot and we do have evidence that Kerwin can shoot. Many of us also live in mind frame that blue blood bench warmers are starters at lower level places like the U. Perhaps true and perhaps not, but it is believed.

Kerwin is probably not THE answer, but I think he can be part of the answer and is likely as good as, if not better, than our current shooting guard options.

If I'm the staff and he fits in the locker room, I offer him if he comes available.
Nice response. Still hope to see him join us for what's hopefully a special season this year. Also I can't deny it'd be really cool to a Minnesota lineup of Walton, Battle, Garcia, and Fox / Payne. So I guess I'm guilty of the hometown bias too LOL.

Would probably boost local recruiting as well with all the Minnesota guys seeing time.

If guards keep going elsewhere it will become desperation time. Sounds like Strong or Jones or nobody right now. Hopefully they both commit as there should be plenty of playing time for each.

If guards keep going elsewhere it will become desperation time. Sounds like Strong or Jones or nobody right now. Hopefully they both commit as there should be plenty of playing time for each.
Strong or Jones might be the most likely targets but wouldn't assume they are the only two options if they don't pan out.

Not yet. I think that about 2/3rds of the players who entered the portal haven't committed yet. There are also 4 days remaining (for automatic consideration for next year eligibility) for new ones to enter the portal. I'd certainly like Jones to commit (more than anyone else actually) but if we don't get either of those there's still time and capable remaining transfers especially considering that Johnson probably could get by with one more guard.

Not yet. I think that about 2/3rds of the players who entered the portal haven't committed yet. There are also 4 days remaining (for automatic consideration for next year eligibility) for new ones to enter the portal. I'd certainly like Jones to commit (more than anyone else actually) but if we don't get either of those there's still time and capable remaining transfers especially considering that Johnson probably could get by with one more guard.
This may be true, but a massive majority (I'd bet 95%) are either no where near B1G quality players or have 0 interest in playing for the Gophers. That would leave roughly 40-75 guys that you have that are both semi interested and passible as players. So while its not total panic time with the last 2 spots, sooner would be better than later. The Garcia/Cooper duo has certainly allowed us the ability to be a little more patient with the last 2 spots.

This may be true, but a massive majority (I'd bet 95%) are either no where near B1G quality players or have 0 interest in playing for the Gophers. That would leave roughly 40-75 guys that you have that are both semi interested and passible as players. So while its not total panic time with the last 2 spots, sooner would be better than later. The Garcia/Cooper duo has certainly allowed us the ability to be a little more patient with the last 2 spots.
They're going to play the freshman at the 2 I think. Hopefully they get another player that can handle the ball when Cooper isn't in the game.

I bet we see more and more names pile in the portal quickly with the May 1st deadline. If we don't get Jones or Strong we could end up getting a player that's not even in the portal yet.

Are you saying we arent objective? How dare you

I bet we see more and more names pile in the portal quickly with the May 1st deadline. If we don't get Jones or Strong we could end up getting a player that's not even in the portal yet.
Or the music stops and all the chairs are filled by our competitors.
We could always find some funding to hire Thiam's junior college shooting coach who had him shooting 3's at a 40 plus per cent clip. Problem solved.
I think we entice at least one guy within the next seven days.

This kid just dropped a short time ago: Lu'Cye Patterson.

He's from Minnesota (apparently Minneapolis). Played for Brooklyn Center then Minnesota Prep Academy. Started 26 games and played all 34 for a 23-11 Missouri State team. He's a wide body (listed at 6'1" 230). Just a sophomore. Lousy 3 point shooter but good two point and fair free throw shooter. Made a big improvement from his freshman to soph year.

Anybody know anything about him?

Top Bottom